World Open Championship

I loved the world open. Huge crowds. Tons of corps. Anyone remember the inspection line, the ready line, and starting line? I remember being behind the "selden cadets" and in front of St Roccos. SAying OMG! Great show

• 1 year later...

And that doesn't include the North American Invitational in Toronto, the day before CYO.

That lineup included:

Santa Clara

Troopers

Cavaliers

Madison

De La Salle

Blue Stars

Argonne Rebels

Toronto Optimists

Two other really nice Championships from that time.

The "U.S. Open" - Marion, Ohio and "The Nationals" (Bluegrass) Nationals - Lexington, Kentucky.

I also enjoyed those a few times.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Others here have mentioned the 1971 World Open as a great show... and I completely agree.

An unbelievable lineup for that one... both prelims and finals. The best of the best, all in one place!!!

Picking up on what George said.... heck, you could have held a show with the corps that placed, say, 13th through 20th at those prelims... and it would have been a great lineup.

• Like 1

Others here have mentioned the 1971 World Open as a great show... and I completely agree.

An unbelievable lineup for that one... both prelims and finals. The best of the best, all in one place!!!

Picking up on what George said.... heck, you could have held a show with the corps that placed, say, 13th through 20th at those prelims... and it would have been a great lineup.

And 27th won and it was probably the last time an eastern corp won a major nationals until Cadets in 1983. Oh yeah and Blue Rock won US Open and CYO Nationals that year and Argonne Rebels with an iconic show with music from Jesus Christ Superstar won at American Legion Nats, beating many of the same corps that scored higher than them at this World Open.

Edited by Bucbari

My first major contest with the Bridgemen in 70. Wow walking onto that field my jaw dropped to the grass. Never saw a crowd like that. Manning Bowl filled to the brim not a set left in the house. This 14 year old was like Holey ____ but the DM called us to Attention and memory took over and wasn't nervous any more.

• Like 1

Never saw a crowd like that. Manning Bowl filled to the brim not a set left in the house. This 14 year old was like Holey ____ but the DM called us to Attention and memory took over and wasn't nervous any more.

During it's run, Manning Bowl was also known for great sound, especially if it was a little cooler at night.

And some of the biggest trophies! Dam they were heavy.

Open the thread about old photo's and scroll down to the photo of two Boston DM's and color guard captain holding the trophies from the 66 WO. Stokie stuck me with the big one. The photo that is a few or so before the WO one of four Boston members is from 65, not 59.

Edited by Ghost