World Open Championship

In 1977 their were 6 member's of the Manning family marching in Manning Bowl during the World Open.

[/

Just wondering, which corps did J. Fred Manning's descendants march with? I know Lynn had the Jeanettes and Continentals, and Arabella, North Star, and 27th were only a stone's throw away. Did some actually cross the Tobin Bridge a.k.a the Mystic River Bridge and march with BAC? For those who are not from Massachusetts, you may not appreciate how significant this would be. South of the Tobin Bridge you vacationed at "The Cape" and never went North since it was considered a day's journey and North of the bridge you vacationed at Hampton Beach in NH or Old Orchard in Maine and only crossed the bridge south to attend a funeral.

Tim K. " and only crossed the bridge south to attend a funeral. "

Orrrrrrr, compete in contests in Quincy, Braintree, Weymouth, etc.

True, but drum corps members and fans are a daring bunch. I'm talking about people in general, and while it's not a day's journey, it feels like it. Yesterday I had an appointment in Danvers in the morning and had to be in Yarmouth in the afternoon. It felt like a day's journey, but the ride was not all bad: I has my iPod hooked up to the radio and listened to 2014 prelims and my playlist is in order of placement, so with traffic it took me from Blue Devils to Academy to get from the North Shore to the Cape.

True, but drum corps members and fans are a daring bunch. I'm talking about people in general, and while it's not a day's journey, it feels like it. Yesterday I had an appointment in Danvers in the morning and had to be in Yarmouth in the afternoon. It felt like a day's journey, but the ride was not all bad: I has my iPod hooked up to the radio and listened to 2014 prelims and my playlist is in order of placement, so with traffic it took me from Blue Devils to Academy to get from the North Shore to the Cape.

Hmmm...if someone asks you what time it is, you can tell them "It's Scouts-o'clock" or "half-past-Colts" or "quarter to BK". :tounge2:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I was at the first World Open in 1963. I was part of a junior exhibition corp there - the St Mary's Hull, Ma Shoreliners. We were the affiliated corp with the Belles of St Mary's Drill Team that won the VFW in Minneapolis in 1962. They were the runners for the judges at this competition. We shared our Motel with The Boston Crusaders who put on a concert in the parking lot Friday night. We also happened to share the same legendary bugle instructor Ed Denon. I remember well the Skyliners winning it all. The only disappointment was the Hawthorne Caballeros decision to skip that competition. It would have been a great battle like they recently did in Miami a few weeks earlier.

I marched that first W.O. also, in my first Sunrisers season. There were extraordinary corps in both divisions: Garfield, St. Kevin's, Sac, Chicago Royal Airs, Boston, Bronx Kingsmen, St. Raphael's, Pittsfield Cavaliers, Bridgeport PAL, Sky, Carver, Bucs, Syracuse, Sunrisers, Marksmen, Amboy Dukes, Pittsburgh Rockets...etc.

Hawthorne was still hung over from their win at Legion Nationals so they passed. Not many cared, actually. That show at Roosevelt Stadium was a drum corps candy store, at the height of the golden age, on your birthday, with a cherry on top.

• Like 1

Beyond Hawthorne's absence, I was disappointed that Archie, Baltimore, I-men and Hurricane's were absent ... but ... Make no mistake ... It was a GREAT two days of drum corps at its finest ...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I remember 1975 World Open Avant Garde won 1st place ,Class B .It was our first year together as 2 merging corps. The Emerald Knights and Spieglaiires . I played Bari with both..

...And that was the day I first saw Hawthorne Caballeros and I fell in love . 

Now I play my baritone with the Alumni and it is my life.