Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

No.

(Relieved ... I thought this was another BD thread.)

• Like 4

RZwJ5.png

Brilliant.

Michael Boo's been writing for DCI for as long as I can remember following it - at least twenty years. You might as well ask whether they can get anyone other than Steve Rondinaro to do the theatre broadcasts. Or say that DCI is biased because Brandt Crocker always announces finals.

There are plenty of visual geniuses on DCP if you want to read them.

• Like 7

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

I actually haven't read the blog. But then again, it is just a blog. Even if DCI is biased in choosing that particular person to write reviews for them, I don't think it affects what the judges do on the field or in the box. Not sure if that's the concern you were implying though...

We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise.

We have several DCI judges with no music degrees in anything at all. One has degree in Math. He's a great judge however, imo. Should we oust this judge because he has no music degree, no percussion degree, no brass instrumentation degree, and as for " visual experience " he's never personally twirled a flag, nor tossed a rifle in any competition in his life ? If you don't like Mike Boo's DCI position and what he does, then guess what ? tough luck. I hope he keeps on keeping on long after your petty and silly complaint fades into the quick oblivion that it deserves.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1