Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

I just figured out that "perpetuate a bias" is an anagram for "agitate superb pain." Coincidence?

And let's not even explore how would attire bagpipes.

Oh for heaven's sake . . . I have been reading the DCP forums for years and just today became a member so voice the only opinion about DCI that I felt worth airing. (Actually, spent about 1 minute thinking of "In the Stands"!) In the last few minutes, my opinion has been called sour grapes (in so many words), a petty and silly complaint, and now accused of being Michael Boo as a ghostwriter! Amazing!! I have quickly figured out that it's not looked upon kindly to go against the status quo.

Wow. Just...wow. :doh:

I'll be honest, I usually read Boo's blogs after the fact. Of course knowing Mike personally, and waiting for the day my daughters hands can hold the drumsticks he sent her have my bias skewed a little towards Mike. But I'll be honest...when my team went on at WGI, I looked to see if Mike was doing the live blog....he wasn't. I was so bummed. I got over it, and the bloggers did a great job when I read it later, but i wanted Boo to review the show.Just cause of the awesome job he always does. I am not normally a big I&E guy, but when Boo came to DCA to play a garden hose at I&E, I made sure to watch. He's quirky, he's funny, he's sometimes wayyyyyy out there, but he has a heart of gold and would do stuff for anyone....and be humble about it. I'm proud to call him a friend, and I'm a #### loyal reader of his work. Not just because he's my friend...because it's good

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

I'll be honest, I usually read Boo's blogs after the fact. Of course knowing Mike personally, and waiting for the day my daughters hands can hold the drumsticks he sent her have my bias skewed a little towards Mike.

But I'll be honest...when my team went on at WGI, I looked to see if Mike was doing the live blog....he wasn't. I was so bummed.

I got over it, and the bloggers did a great job when I read it later, but i wanted Boo to review the show.Just cause of the awesome job he always does.

I am not normally a big I&E guy, but when Boo came to DCA to play a garden hose at I&E, I made sure to watch. He's quirky, he's funny, he's sometimes wayyyyyy out there, but he has a heart of gold and would do stuff for anyone....and be humble about it.

I'm proud to call him a friend, and I'm a #### loyal rader of his work. Not just because he's my friend...because it's good

And I'm most proud to know you and call you a friend, and I've got to start figuring out what "Uncle Mike" will do for your daughter's first birthday.

I ended up blogging Percussion Finals at WGI, but was backstage doing the "Top of the Tunnel" interviews during the Prelims and Semifinals.

Have you recovered from seeing me play the garden hose at DCI I&E? I don't think I'm welcomed back to DCA after that. :blink: I was part of the only I&E act to score in the negative numbers...about minus 127 if I remember correctly.

He's someone who looks up to Fran Haring. :worthy:

Yet another sign the Apocalypse is near. :tongue:

I just figured out that "perpetuate a bias" is an anagram for "agitate superb pain." Coincidence?

And let's not even explore how would attire bagpipes.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And I'm most proud to know you and call you a friend, and I've got to start figuring out what "Uncle Mike" will do for your daughter's first birthday.

I ended up blogging Percussion Finals at WGI, but was backstage doing the "Top of the Tunnel" interviews during the Prelims and Semifinals.

Have you recovered from seeing me play the garden hose at DCI I&E? I don't think I'm welcomed back to DCA after that. :blink: I was part of the only I&E act to score in the negative numbers...about minus 127 if I remember correctly.

I have recovered from seeing you, uh, blow into a hose. And trust me, if others keep getting invited back after what they have done, you're more than welcome.

As part of the hospitality industry, it's not uncommon for me to work nights and weekends...and weekend nights. It's not unusual for me to get home on the nights of big shows, fix a snack, and settle in to read the replay of Mike's blog. It's one of the few ways I have to find honest, unfiltered and informed information about each corps' performance on a given night.

If In The Stands wants to, he can do his own live blog right here. It seems to work for Gadget. Not sure if he has the ability to travel to each regional, or if that blog would be based on FN observations, but by all means, have at it!

I think in addition to the green plus/red negative, DCP needs a STFU button.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 1

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog.

M. Boo has his opinions, and your reasons for objecting to Mr. Boo's writings are not clear to me, as Mr. Boo has long been a strong, vocal advocate for the activity as it has become.

In contrast, I and a handful of others like to write about things that Mr. Boo contradicts, things like the accelerating deterioration of the activity, the shrinking of its numbers of participants, the weakening of its crowd appeal, its New Elitism and resultant exclusion of non-entitled youth, its overpriced staffers and equipment, its pack-mentality and its many yes-men who have managed by their silence to allow the few to dictate the activity's direction, which I see as a nonreversible death spiral at this point, should nothing change.

In contrast, I and a handful of others like to write about things that Mr. Boo contradicts, things like the accelerating deterioration of the activity, the shrinking of its numbers of participants, the weakening of its crowd appeal, its New Elitism and resultant exclusion of non-entitled youth, its overpriced staffers and equipment, its pack-mentality and its many yes-men who have managed by their silence to allow the few to dictate the activity's direction, which I see as a nonreversible death spiral at this point, should nothing change.

So... what are you trying to say here??? :lol:

• Like 1