Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

But seriously, if you have a specific complaint about Boo's blog speak up. Otherwise it looks like you are just stirring up trouble with a fake account, plus-oneing yourself from your other account.

If you actually think it should be removed, I recommend booing BD's scores at Allentown contacting DCI. And if you are looking to convince DCPers, you should cite some specific problems, and not just whatever theoretical problem you have.

This thread is surely just a ploy by Mr. Boo (ghostwriting as "In The Stands" -- if you think about it, that userid is a dead giveaway) to generate EVEN MORE publicity for himself! Just how famous does he think he needs to be ? Unacceptable. DCI should be put an immediate stop to this cheap stunt.

It may be bad manners to boo anyone, but in this case I feel completely justified in saying:

Boo on Boo :-(

Drat; someone's figured me out. :devil:

(Was it the number of posts less than the number of fingers I have on my feet that gave it away?)

Edited by Michael Boo

Am I qualified to talk about anything regarding drum corps, even after being intimately involved with the activity since the fall of 1974? Many would say "yes." Others, including myself, would say "no."

:worthy: You gave this guy way more than he deserved, Boo. :inlove:

• Like 2

Am I qualified to talk about anything regarding drum corps, even after being intimately involved with the activity since the fall of 1974? Many would say "yes." Others, including myself, would say "no."

As for commenting on anything visual, I've written for WGI since about 1980, so please don't spill the beans to them about me being unqualified to talk about anything visual because I've got a couple music degrees (from the back of matchbook covers) and spend two weeks every early June in China with my music. Several years ago, to better familiarize myself with what visual judges look at, I even went through color guard judging workshops and field trialed guard contests with the Central States Judges Association. I didn't go on to judge...that wasn't the purpose; however, I did feel it gave me more perspective to write about the guard activity.

My blog is certainly one man's opinion because I've done my best to rid myself of all the multiple personalities that were feeding me other people's opinions. I wouldn't say DCI approves or disapproves of anything I write. I try to be honest and help bring people into the "now" of a show with fairly general comments, mostly positive and some hopefully constructive when I observe weaknesses. What I'm doing is reacting as a fan, first and foremost. We all have opinions colored by our experiences and training, and I'm no different. I don't present myself as an expert at anything except expressing my love of this remarkable activity. After writing for DCI in various capacities since the 1984 liner notes, I hope I've picked up something worth sharing. But ultimately, my usefulness to DCI is measured by if anyone even cares enough to read me. If that somehow ceases to be a factor someday, I'll be off to comment about squirrels in the public park.

What visual experience do I have? Well, to start with, I've got two fairly new eyes courtesy of a double cataract procedure three years ago. I've been to every WGI World Championship since the organization was founded. Did you know I've interviewed over 70 World and Olympic figure skaters (from Peggy Fleming to Brian Boitano, Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes, amongst many others) and even wrote an honors-winning book about the activity? (The publication for which I wrote was killed off by the Internet, but it was a good run.) I'm also a member of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago and go to many of the new shows, if for no other reason than to get honked off. I own well over 100 books on architecture and have done architecture tours around the country. As for movement, I waddle like a goose tied to a fire hydrant, but I still remember something from when I wrote drills for up to ten high school bands a year. I'm not allowed to touch guard equipment per agreement with the UN, but I enjoy what I see and have been to a number of modern dance performances, including ABT, Hubbard Street Dance, Joffrey Ballet, Merce Cunningham, Feld Ballet, Twyla Tharp and the like.

In the progression of the blogs during the season, I attempt to make observations about changes and improvements as I see them, in order to help those who aren't there feel part of the experience. I have zero influence on any judges and the person I most disagree with in my observations is myself.

If DCI wishes to add another person blogging at Minneapolis, San Antonio or Atlanta, I'm sure I would welcome that as I firmly believe that the more content available to people, the better. However, are you aware that last year, I brought in someone else with other views to co-blog with me at the World Championships Prelims, Semifinals and Finals? And I'm doing so again this year, with a couple people I blogged with over the two weekends of the WGI World Championships.

If the blog fails to bring in readers, it will be dropped as you suggest. There is nothing on DCI.org that states, "For entertainment purposes only," but perhaps there should be.

Last year, I received some very irate e-mails about the blog from people both claiming I was an obvious Cavalier wonk and from others claiming I hated The Cavaliers. I stripped off their addresses and forwarded their comments to each other. One of those writes me numerous times during the season to ask me my observations.

If I am a big fish, I'm a big fish in a very small pond; but since I'm a vegetarian, I prefer to think of myself as a watermelon in a one-quart Zip-Loc bag. And since I hate watermelon, I sometimes chide myself for what I write and get confused about my purpose in a world stuck between Puccini and dada.

But I'm grateful you've noticed what I write, as I try to put my heart in it. I don't mind if you don't care for what I write, as long as you read all or part of it. Life is too short to be concerned about what others think about every comment in between punctuation marks. And I encourage you to criticize me when you feel it's appropriate, and to bring me a root beer sno-cone in Allentown if you're there and think I'm contributing something of whatever value to the equation.

I'll be at the gate where the corps exit the field, gathering info from staff members about each show, comments I can use during my three days of blogging in indianapolis to better explain the shows to the fans. It can even be the small size sno-cone. That's even preferable since I'm on a diet and shouldn't even be touching sugar. But it's Allentown and I've got to celebrate being there for some reason other than knowing my friend Dennis DeLucia is up in the stands casting his gaze upon all he sees, which includes me because I'm kind of hard to miss and am sometimes mistaken for one of Carolina Crown's 14 timpani.

Win. worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gificon_4.gif

• Like 2

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

Wow... Just wow...

This guy can't be serious! LOL

I wonder if "In The Stands" is the same person as "grammie12" who showed up out of nowhere to blast corpsband for the ratio of tweets he posted to the NightBEAT thread, claiming it was unfair to the corps to post more tweets about some corps than others, even though he was just posting all the tweets he could find.

Seriously, I hope some admin is looking into where these accounts are coming from. Also, is it possible to prevent total newbies from posting new thread topics, because if so the admins should flip that switch.

Edited by skywhopper

This thread is surely just a ploy by Mr. Boo (ghostwriting as "In The Stands" -- if you think about it, that userid is a dead giveaway) to generate EVEN MORE publicity for himself! Just how famous does he think he needs to be ? Unacceptable. DCI should be put an immediate stop to this cheap stunt.

It may be bad manners to boo anyone, but in this case I feel completely justified in saying:

Boo on Boo :-(

Oh for heaven's sake . . . I have been reading the DCP forums for years and just today became a member so voice the only opinion about DCI that I felt worth airing. (Actually, spent about 1 minute thinking of "In the Stands"!) In the last few minutes, my opinion has been called sour grapes (in so many words), a petty and silly complaint, and now accused of being Michael Boo as a ghostwriter! Amazing!! I have quickly figured out that it's not looked upon kindly to go against the status quo.

• Like 1