Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

I maintain that your commentary carries more weight with the fans that it should.

Mike Boo carries more weight period. ( but thats beside the point )

But this " weight with fans " that he brings in his commentary that you are allegedly noticing, just what harm does it do ? What ?

• Like 1

When I speak of the status quo, I guess I'm frustrated that DCP ends up more like talk radio with people more concerned about upholding their position than having a civilized discussion. Guess that's part of politics -- government or DCI!

You're the one who posted the question yet you've yet to clarify what exactly your problem is. You questioned his credentials to blog about visual things, but you've yet to bring up any actual inadequacies in his blogging about visual topics. And even if you were to bring such evidence, so what? We're lucky DCI is spending money on any live blogging. I'm guessing they provide the service because it's popular.

Sorry but I won't be in Allentown to bring you a snowcone! And guess what? I'll probably be reading your minute by minute blog of the event even though I maintain that your commentary carries more weight with the fans that it should.

My main question is why DCI has anyone blog? The other question was not meant as a personal attack, but is valid. If DCI insists on a blog, then why not have someone blogging about music and a different person blogging about visual.

When I speak of the status quo, I guess I'm frustrated that DCP ends up more like talk radio with people more concerned about upholding their position than having a civilized discussion. Guess that's part of politics -- government or DCI!

Well, don't read it from Allentown, because it's on sabbatical until Indianapolis so I can gather info from the instructors and managements regarding things they want the audience to know about their shows. But I hope you come back for all three shows in Indy, when I'll be co-blogging each of the three finals shows with people I deeply respect.

DCI doesn't have one person blogging about visual and another blogging about music because I try to channel the spirit of a corps fan and fans look with their eyes and hear with their ears simultaneously. And besides, if they wanted one person who had a clue about music, I'd be gone. :shutup:

DCI has someone blog the big shows because it helps provide content in the final weeks. I hope readers of DCP also check out my blog because I love checking out what Kevin Gamin blogs on DCP once a show is over, and I enjoy reading what DCP members think about what is going on. We get it all on this site...it's a good cross-section of opinion.

People on DCP uphold their positions because they've got positions they believe in. Opinions are free, but if one doesn't believe their own opinions, they're dead. I'm not dead yet, but I might be soon if I eat too many root beer sno-cones in Allentown. (Have I beaten that one to death enough yet? Seriously, I limit myself to one per event as the last thing my editor needs is me hanging off the ceiling back at the hotel when I'm trying to focus on the Recap Roundup.

As for my commentary carrying more weight with the fans that it should, I suspect it perhaps carries more weight with you than it should. I suspect most others take it for what it is and not for what it isn't. Anyone looking to me as the definitive word needs to update their dictionary. I carry my own weight (and that's quite a feat), but my commentary carries only the weight one assigns to it and it would float away if I didn't tie it down with a few polysyllabic pseudo profundities. :shutup:

DCI has me blog because that's the only way they can get me to sweep out the stands after everyone else leaves the stadium.

• Like 1

You're the one who posted the question yet you've yet to clarify what exactly your problem is. You questioned his credentials to blog about visual things, but you've yet to bring up any actual inadequacies in his blogging about visual topics. And even if you were to bring such evidence, so what? We're lucky DCI is spending money on any live blogging. I'm guessing they provide the service because it's popular.

And what am I going to do at the end of this season with all this Monopoly money?

• Like 1

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

I have to be honest. This post seriously bothers me. To call into question the credentials of one of the people working hardest to allow this great activity to endure is beyond ridiculous. What good could possibly come of this? And the fact that you felt strongly enough about this to create a DCP account just for this?.... Wow! I mean, you must have known that Mr. Boo is a regular participant in DCP discussions, correct?... and knew he would read this, right? You wouldn't feel majorly offended if someone did this to you?... called in question your credentials in a public place regarding something you are insanely passionate about?

Sorry for the rant, but that just struck a really bad nerve.

• Like 8

Sorry but I won't be in Allentown to bring you a snowcone! And guess what? I'll probably be reading your minute by minute blog of the event even though I maintain that your commentary carries more weight with the fans that it should.

My main question is why DCI has anyone blog? The other question was not meant as a personal attack, but is valid. If DCI insists on a blog, then why not have someone blogging about music and a different person blogging about visual.

Why DCI have anyone blog you ask? And yet you admit that you will following the blog in Allentown (even though it won't be on)? I think you answered your own question...

Part of Boos job is to offer opinions and personal insight to corps shows. If you disagree with them, fine... But he certainly does a great job!

Also you say Boo offering opinions constitutes a DCI bias? Don't newspapers offer people with opinions the chance to be published and yet the newspaper itself remains neutral?

For those of us stuck in Drum Corps No-man's-land, having Boo's DCI blog, and Gamin's DCP play-by-play gives us a mental image of what's going on in far-away stadiums. IMO, Mike is about as neutral as he can be, considering his passion. Also, it ain't easy to do a live blog. Why not have someone with writing chops, experience in the activity, and the ability to assemble their thoughts and type them in at a high rate?

Just for fun, In The Stands, try blogging, or even just Tweeting from a show site. I'll think you'd find it enlightening just what kind of service Mike and his fellow bloggers provide.

Edited by CrunchyTenor