BD System Blue Hybrid Euphonium

Euphscott

I was poking around on the BD site and found the System Blue Hybrid Euphonium. I'd always thought their horns looked a little unusual over the last few years - this seems to solve that. But what I cannot find is a dealer that sells those - I am guessing this is a BD only model? How does one get their hands on one of these babies?

This is BD's 2nd year using the horns, (prior to that they were using King's Ultimate line), and the horns are being sold through dealers, you can find a local dealer for pricing via Conn-Selmer (http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/)

System Blue horns are made by King

just bought a trumpet and love it!!

Here is the link to thir site

System Blue site

I believe there is a link to dealers on the site.

Good luck with your search

Edited by LB Mellophone

Out of curiosity from a non-brass guy, what's the difference b/w the King Ultimates and System Blue?

Mike

System Blues are basically modified King Ultimate euphoniums designed with the BD staff.

The result is an instrument that is more comfortable to carry for longer periods of time, has a nice full sound, and is WAY lighter than the standard King Ultimate euphonium!

I can't notice any big difference in playing quality between the instruments but the valves on the SB are much larger. I got to play one at DCI SW. The first valve was stuck though, so I just played some long tones and it felt pretty good.

One difference between the SB and the King is that the SB doesn't have any pinky or thumb rings etc. to push out the first and third valve slides as opposed to the King, which has both to allow you to do some corrective tuning while playing. In the right hands, this will allow you to play basically everything in tune. I guess the SB was designed to not have to have this function, as it seems to do well without them.

Those are just some differences!

1343864408[/url]' post='3191544']

System Blues are basically modified King Ultimate euphoniums designed with the BD staff.

The result is an instrument that is more comfortable to carry for longer periods of time, has a nice full sound, and is WAY lighter than the standard King Ultimate euphonium!

I can't notice any big difference in playing quality between the instruments but the valves on the SB are much larger. I got to play one at DCI SW. The first valve was stuck though, so I just played some long tones and it felt pretty good.

One difference between the SB and the King is that the SB doesn't have any pinky or thumb rings etc. to push out the first and third valve slides as opposed to the King, which has both to allow you to do some corrective tuning while playing. In the right hands, this will allow you to play basically everything in tune. I guess the SB was designed to not have to have this function, as it seems to do well without them.

Those are just some differences!

The horns are pretty much a revamp of the old King Line. The tuba had the 4th valve added to help with tuning (F can be played in tune now), and I like the balance on the SB50 more than the 1151. The only thing I don't like about the SB50 is the S shaped lead pipe. I prefer the U shape.

The lighter feel, but full sound is exactly what I am looking to utilize.

I love the Euph, but without lots of training, it's just harder and harder to keep holding the monster!

Are you calling the SB a monster? Have you SEEN the standard king? :thumbup: