Do you hate it when people yell "random" stuff in the middle o

Random Yelling  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate it when people yell "random" stuff in the middle of a show?

• Yes, Hate it
    • Yes, but just dislike it
    • No
    • Doesn't bother me either way.
  2. 2. What do you think of a no-crowd recording--a supplemental dvd, not a replacement.?

• Like it!
    • Don't like it!
    • Either way is fine.

In recordings of the past (VODs, DVDs, etc) there is almost ALWAYS some fan screaming very loudly (and sometimes annoyingly) for a friend or family member performing. If I am in the stands, I definitely do not want to have some person screaming at the top of their lungs right behind me. If they are far away from me, I can tolerate it but I feel bad for the people sitting around them. Also, I think it might take away some of the impact certain parts of a show might have.

On the other hand, hearing people yelling and cheering after an awesome performance is great too, so I'm a bit torn!

An idea I had was that DCI should come up with an additional DVD where each corps performs to an empty stadium--so all we see and hear are the field visuals and music, respectively. Personally, I don't really think that's asking for too much since: 1. each corps is going to dress-rehearse it anyway and 2. I think many people would buy that DVD separately; thus, more revenue. Also, since we'd still have access to DVD/VOD where we can take in the full experience with the crowd, it just gives us more options.

What do you think?

Edited by NeutralNovice

I typically do not like the random yelling in shows. There have been a few humorous ones but for the most part they are dumb.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a "studio" recording of each corps. A rival h.s. band of mine did that every year for the parents.

I would NOT encourage this for finals DVD's though. I personally enjoy hearing the crowd reactions during a show as it gives a little bit more life to the recording. After all, it's not every day where you can cheer wildly while listening to live music (not including rock concerts in that comparison.)

I typically do not like the random yelling in shows. There have been a few humorous ones but for the most part they are dumb.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a "studio" recording of each corps. A rival h.s. band of mine did that every year for the parents.

I would NOT encourage this for finals DVD's though. I personally enjoy hearing the crowd reactions during a show as it gives a little bit more life to the recording. After all, it's not every day where you can cheer wildly while listening to live music (not including rock concerts in that comparison.)

Oh yeah, of course! I definitely don't want to lose the finals dvd--that also won't ever happen. The idea was that this would be a supplemental dvd.

If every corps did a studio type recording with no audience, I would be all over that. I think it'd be great!

I think that would be boring. Can you imagine what would happen once the sound engineers got hold of the recording. We have enough Muzak already. I attended Northeast Louisiana University as a part of the band. Jay Bocook did his graduate work there and a lot of the arrangements for the band. We did the Jensen recordings that marching bands would use to select music for their shows. It had always been recorded in a band room with mics and mixing boards and it sounded really bland. Eventually it was decided to record the music outdoors and sometimes at festivals. The difference was amazing! Jensen had much greater sales from the recordings done with the more realistic sounds created in an authentic environment. So to me when a few fans make a little noise it's just part of the background that makes drum corps so unique.

Of course the idiots screaming during the quiet opening of Cavies 1990 show made me want to punch them in the mouth. LOL

Yelling something out to the field before & after a Corps performance : good

Yelling something out to the field actually during the Corps performance : bad

Edited by BRASSO

I too can;t stand when people yell random stuff during a show..... and this is something in my experience that really turns off drum corps newbies.... they have no idea why people are doing doing that and ruining performances.

As for a recording without crowd noise at all... I would love that. There are so many moments in shows such as after solos, or after rifle tosses, and things like that where we never get to hear what's going on perfectly because a lot of applause is covering up the sound. Having said that, most drum corps designers design the show with audience reaction in mind, so a recording with zero crowd sound may have a few awkward silent moments.

I think the audience response hypes up the emotional value of the recording and makes it preferable to the audience-free version, which we have had on occasion, including I believe in 2000 just with BD and SCV, recorded outdoors finals week--some fans were present but asked to hold all applause and vocal response, and they cooperated.

But that doesn't include the really obnoxious, Crystalllll-type stuff that is designed to enshrine the audience member on the recording. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen occasionally, and I think the simplest fix for that is to simply edit them out by blending in a couple of seconds of soundtrack from another recording in the same place in the show. I wish the sound crew would do that just to cut down on the obnoxious behavior.