Dublin Does Drum Corps

As the corps is announced, the sounds of an ocean dock and narration about our heroine's journey to America begin.

The announcer had to move from the field to the booth to ensure his mic worked.

Pit opens the show with a quick intro before the corps plays New World Symphony.

Horn line has cleaned up their performance a lot since the start of the season.

Trumpet soloist plays as the horns turn backfield, but is quickly joined by the horns again.

Nice job by the baritone soloist, too.

For having a horn line half the size of other corps while still having a full drum line, Pioneer manages to balance the sound between sections, not an easy job. Note that, when they made Semis back in '99 and 2000, the horn line was about the same size. As Yoda would say, size matters not.

There are judges blinds on the field for guard changes. The blinds feature Americana images to go along with the show theme.

GUard is on double white flags. Always a good way to add color to the field. I also like the seafoam and magenta dresses the guard is wearing.

I do have a gripe: The narration distorts on the speakers, making it difficult to understand. I"m not sure I've paid attention to it at all other than to notice it was there.

Percussion feature, right on the 50.

I've got a couple staff members in front of me. Unfortnately, this is about the only spot they can stand up high without blocking paid ticket holders, of which I am not.

Second percussion feature, this time during Reflections of Ireland.

Actually, the distortion I heard from the speakers is happening with all sounds, not just the narration. Speaker might be blown.

Corps is now singing to the crowd.

Pioneer in action:

7c1a36a5108a7826cc631f97d7c4cf68-708483201.jpg