Crossmen Scream

Really? Because the original poster ends his/her post with three words: "BRING BACK LEADS." I can't speak for brassmeaway, but I'm just saying other drum corps are featuring their leads, which appears to be what OleMissRebel wants.

And if he deserves his own thread, where is Scott Dean's? He's the most recent featured screamer in DCI whom has his name known throughout the activity.

He said, "The lead for Crossmen is like straight throwback and I love it!"

and I say, "What does Bones look like in your rearview mirror?"

Edited by xbones7480

Tell the kid from Colts tongue.gif

Anyhow, I think it's worth noting that the Crossmen kid has been pretty lights-out all year. Good to the point where you don't even think about him hitting everything ... and you can't say that about all of them. He doesn't use a mic, they don't put him in front of the pit, and he marches while doing it!! There's a few players in top 5 corps that have taken WEEKS to tune some of their exposed moments, or find their confidence with it (and they're standing still, too!!).

One of the few screamers I've felt "comfortable" listening to since the early 97-04 BD guys.

Keep it up, stud!!

This is something I'm always talking about! March and play your lead part. If you're at a halt, great posture makes for an amazing lead reaction (at least from posture fans like me haha!) as opposed to the weird body-contortions some of these guys do at halts. I haven't seen all the shows this year...but of the ones I did see earlier in the season, lead voicing was lacking.

Lead players exist. Are there just less leads auditioning for corps? Is it just not orchestrated into the music anymore? Is there more focus from the judges on texture? There's gotta be a reason some of these bigger corps aren't using lead parts more often.

This thread is about the great talents of the 2012 Crossmen. We don't really care about Madison and Colts or anyone else for that matter. We are praising our beloved Lead Soloist here. And he deserves his own thread.

Make your own thread if need be, but there is no comparison to this great talented player, Chris Lyman. He is consistent and that's what the topic starter is saying.

He will go down in Crossmen history along with Gary Caffrey and Drew Ross.

CALM. DOWN. We get it. Don't need to draw party lines...

• Like 3

I think the statement, "Bring back leads" .. doesn't just pertain to one sop in the line.

When horn sections were about 64 members with 20 sops ... 10 were lead players. The parts were usually arranged as 1st and 2nd with a split lead part in the 1st book. That meant at any given time, 5-10 dudes were going to pop and F or a G or even higher .... TOGETHER and OFTEN.

Brass books just aren't written this way anymore. It's nice when we get the occasional lead whale on their lonesome .... but it's extremely rare to have a full section uncork an A/C/F chord with power. 6 on A, 10 on C and 8 on F/A. When's the last time you heard that?

I'm sure some of you will say, "Several times already this year". Now tell me ... how many of them peel paint with power?

The Crossmen dude is a stud. I can't give the same props to the rest of the line though.

This thread is about the great talents of the 2012 Crossmen. We don't really care about Madison and Colts or anyone else for that matter. We are praising our beloved Lead Soloist here. And he deserves his own thread.

Make your own thread if need be, but there is no comparison to this great talented player, Chris Lyman. He is consistent and that's what the topic starter is saying.

He will go down in Crossmen history along with Gary Caffrey and Drew Ross.

Not knowing who these 2 gentlemen are---are either ones who were soloists from 1979-1981ish 'cause I love me some Crossmen from those years!!!! My kingdom to hear "Tiger of San Pedro" live....

CM

Yea Spirit is alright and BD has a lead that kills it a couple times (like twice). DCi has just moved away from that style of music and it would be great to have it back. I love Madison, they are my favorite corps, but it has been a long time since they have had a lead with the power that they had in the 90's. That's just the truth but hopefully we'll move back towards that style of arranging soon.

This thread made me search youtube for some classic screamers. I think I can listen to 84 BD La Fiesta a million times and still be amazed at those guys.

• Like 1