Crossmen Scream

Yea I'm a big fan of BD 80 93 and 04

Lead players exist. Are there just less leads auditioning for corps? Is it just not orchestrated into the music anymore? Is there more focus from the judges on texture? There's gotta be a reason some of these bigger corps aren't using lead parts more often.

they are definitely there... the Cavaliers never had screamers during the entire decade, and then the one year they had those 3... then they were gone again.

The players are there, they can only play what the staff writes for them though, unfortunately...

I actually miss that kind of writing too. The worst blueballs (pardon the expression) in the world is when the corps halts on a huge Eb (concert) chord and there's no F in the leads. Thank you SCV '09 for not being that.

Part of the problem is the Bb horns, sadly. Not as easy to play high with that huge bugle sound.

The Crossmen guy is great, but one reason I think he stands out is that the rest of the corps is quieter (by just a little) compared to someone like BD, who has three or four guys with solid double Gs but a super duper loud hornline. Speaking of which, the hornlines are larger in general, making it even more difficult.

I love the Phantom school of screamers from like '07 to '10 ish where there would be a double G on top but would sound totally legit and not out of place. Then again, Cadets '08 is awesome too.

• Like 1

Any corps that has Al Chez as their consultant is bound to have screamers in their show.

Edited by xbones7480

Any corps that has Al Chez as their consultanut is bound to have screamers in their show.

I've always had guys who can play the "scream" stuff, whether at the Colts from '90 - '99, or the Crossmen from 2000 - 2003, and again now with Chris Lyman. I'm an old lead soprano/lead trumpet player. If you're playing the style of music that allows a lead trumpet to be featured as a "drum corps" moment, then I will never back away from it. Those moments are why I joined a drum corps 33 years ago, and are still the moments that make my blood boil.

Risk creates excitement, and pushing kids to go above and beyond is my job.

Like I tell every student I've ever had: If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Now go get those high chops in shape, cuz I've got a 2013 show to write.

:devil::music::devil:

Chuck

• Like 5

Caffrey marched 1977, 78, 79, 80, 81 & 82

Ross marched 1999, 2000 & 2001

Lyman 09-12

Never had a chance to meet Ryan, but he was definitely a fantastic player. His solos were always incredible to listen to!

Chris is doing a great job with the high note role! Enjoying this year's show!!!!

To the kids reading this - Chuck isn't lying....close DCP and get in a practice room!

Edited by drewbugler