"Late" Season Changes

With the lack of updates on here, I have been using Facebook to keep up with corps.

Today I just saw this from MBI's page:

"We have scared away the rain so we can finish perfecting the new closer. A great day for drum corps!"

Seems a little late to be doing something like this? I know DCI corps do it sometimes but they have more rehearsal time. Thoughts?

Being intimately involved with MBI for many years I can say this is not unusual. I told several staff members at the DCI Minnesota show that the corps REALLY needs to lock in the Bonnie & Clyde narrative and have it all make sense for the audience. But they were way ahead of me and understood the concerns. They had a similar challenge with the "Valhalla" show last year. That show changed a lot between the DCI Minnesota show and DCA finals.

While MBI is suffering a bit with a lack of performance opportunities this year, they are using those weekends (and weekday rehearsals) to clean and streamline the show. For example, tomorrow night (Wednesday the 31st) they have 4 hours of rehearsal. Thursday has sectionals. Friday they leave for Racine. Show & camp on Saturday and Sunday. They return to the Twin Cities late Sunday night. Between now and DCA they only have August 11th & 12th off. Otherwise every weekend and every Wednesday (plus an additional weeknight for sectionals) they are rehearsing and/or performing.

Minnesota Brass has decades of experience dealing with scheduling problems in August and they've been pretty adaptable. Even in the days of Drum Corps Midwest when there were shows available every weekend, the shows dried up after DCI championships. Still, MBI adapted.

To be honest, I don't know if this year's MBI show can overtake what I've seen of the Buccaneers' gorgeous show. But they will be in the very top of the mix. Keep in mind there is no reason why MBI will not capture the horn caption again. They sound beautiful. And their 2011-winning guard is always a late bloomer. Yes, they surprised everyone with their win over the Hurcs last year. But there is good reason for that. The depth & layering of the writing and the sheer athleticism of MBI's guard is very, very good. And it's the same staff again this year. It's just gonna come down to cleanliness. (I also see the athleticism playing a part in C2's guard. They are gonna surprise a lot of people!)

Percussion may be another toss-up with the Bucs. MBI has been among the best percussion lines for many years now (and winners of two titles). Here, I think, the Bucs have the edge. But I also think, as many of you probably do, that the scales will tip with the visual caption. MBI tied with the Bucs last year. This year it seems the Bucs have the edge from what I've seen. But what the hell? We won't know squat until prelims night.

In terms of the overall design, frankly, I had to watch MBI's DCI Minnesota performance several times before I really understood what they were doing with the Bonnie & Clyde show. I was skeptical, but MBI may be much, much closer to defending their title than many believe. I guess we'll just see in Annapolis! :)

What I do know is that if the Bucs top MBI this year, it will be because they are the best in class. And bravo to them!

Edited by Ron H

:ph34r:

'Bout time you decided to sound off His-silly-a## !! If anyone else thinks last year was a fluke, I suggest you have been wrapped up in the nest too long..

Me and my man Ron have more time in the trenches than most - and we've always been of the opinion that if they can get the first one..nothing can stop them..If they don't defend the title, so be it..It will take an AWESOME performance to unseat them..

Somebody PO'd Ron..that's NOT easy to do gang..We've been friends for almost 40 years, so seeing this is SOOOOO overdue!!

OOO-RAH Ron!! You still 'da man! :worthy::worthy:

Pat

Didnt mean to upset anyone, just seems odd to be changing that much with only a few weeks to go.

• Like 1

Nothing new for MBI. They always turn it on late season; I think they will be right in the mix of it come Annapolis. Another all-Minnesota encore wouldn't be bad. :smile:

Edited by scsudrummer

With the lack of updates on here, I have been using Facebook to keep up with corps.

Today I just saw this from MBI's page:

"We have scared away the rain so we can finish perfecting the new closer. A great day for drum corps!"

Seems a little late to be doing something like this? I know DCI corps do it sometimes but they have more rehearsal time. Thoughts?

No worries, Not a complete rewrite. Just ramping up the end and the story line. It is much better already. MBI 2012 is a great drum corps and will be a force to be contend with by DCA. In many ways this corps is much better than last year's. Should be fun!

MBI knows how to do what they do, I'm sure whatever changes they will make have been planned out and they know their membership. Not a big deal