"Late" Season Changes

Yeah, especially the past 5 years I've marched, we've made significant changes throughout late July and August. It's not unusual for the corps and the membership eats it up. Don't be confused by the verbiage in the message though. I'm fairly certain the corps is not doing an entire new closer from start to finish, but rather enhancing the current closer with improved drill.

The only time I can recall doing a massive overhaul on drill was 2006 where I think we re-wrote about 90% of what we started with. That was painful.

Didnt mean to upset anyone, just seems odd to be changing that much with only a few weeks to go.

I don't think it is odd at all. It shows that MBI wants to win and defend the title! And given what the Bucs have thrown down, they have no choice.

I think it's fairly common.

Renegades just changed the last 30 seconds of their show musically and visually to add some more punch. I imagine most of the non NE corps have the same process. Make a list of all major changes and address them when the rest of the corps head east and the local competitions dry up.

• Like 2

It's not all that unusual, although with the type of shows corps do today, it may not be as easy as it once was. Now, this may seem like "ancient history" to some, but I recall changing an exit number in 1966 in mid-season. I believe the drill didn't change, so it was an easy switch.

However, 1969 was a different story entirely. We acquired a new horn arranger/instructor and a new drum instructor in mid season of that year. Larry Kerchner and George Tuthill gave us essentially a new second-half with two new songs -- a new out-of-concert and a new production number. The exit remained, but the drill had to be changed. Extra rehearsals accomplished this in time for the Dream contest. Scores improved, but we were not in contention for the top spot that year. Of course, 1970 was a different story.

It's not all that unusual, although with the type of shows corps do today, it may not be as easy as it once was. Now, this may seem like "ancient history" to some, but I recall changing an exit number in 1966 in mid-season. I believe the drill didn't change, so it was an easy switch.

However, 1969 was a different story entirely. We acquired a new horn arranger/instructor and a new drum instructor in mid season of that year. Larry Kerchner and George Tuthill gave us essentially a new second-half with two new songs -- a new out-of-concert and a new production number. The exit remained, but the drill had to be changed. Extra rehearsals accomplished this in time for the Dream contest. Scores improved, but we were not in contention for the top spot that year. Of course, 1970 was a different story.

Wow ... this brings back memories ... Sky had late season changes (whole numbers replaced w/drill sometimes) to their shows throughout the years also: 67, 71, 73, 75, 77 that I can remember ... two of those years resulted in DCA Championships (71 & 75) ... in 71, we actually changed the OTL drill between prelims and finals ... LOL ... so ... nothing new here with what MBI is doing ...

:-)

So, 'ahem', no comments?

nope. a month to go, lots of time for all to tweak and clean

if I recall, in 96 both Westshore and Cabs made significant changes to their shows as the season went on, and the race ended up tight!

the week before finals I know we added drill to Blues, and 4th of July weekend the whole end of the show was reworked.

Edited by Jeff Ream

I forget the exact year (mid '70's). Cabs were at the American Legion Nationals in Miami Beach when Jim Costello told us that he was changing the entire off-the-line drill. The ending position was the same for everybody, but he had NO idea where any individual started the drill from!! In order to solve the problem, we all got to the end of the OTL drill and proceeded to learn the new drill - BACKWARDS, so we would know where our starting position was. Needless to say, we were all concerned - we had to learn the drill twice.

We all thought that Jim Costello was crazy, but we believed in him and trusted that he knew best. Jim was right and we pulled it of exceedingly well.

As an aside, I can still remember sitting in the shallow end of the pool, my horn in pieces around me so I could make sure it was cleasn, in and out.

I think it's fairly common.

Renegades just changed the last 30 seconds of their show musically and visually to add some more punch. I imagine most of the non NE corps have the same process. Make a list of all major changes and address them when the rest of the corps head east and the local competitions dry up.

Yes, it's an entirely new ending. We learned it last week and cleaned it this week. Set up to blow your face off. Look for me up front on the 50 in front of the ramps at the end of the show (lucky fluke).

I've been in 'Gades since '09 and we've changed our ending almost every year.

• Like 2