What to do in Allentown

If you’re not watching corps practices during the day Saturday check out Musikfest in downtown Bethlehem. Music, food and fun. There is a Polka tent in the lower concourse and sometime during the afternoon they will crown the 2012 Chicken Queen along with a rousing rendition of the Chicken Dance. Not to be missed!!

There's only one thing to do in Allentown ... lounge in the park and bask in the glory of drum corps mecca. At some point .. sneak out after dark and watch your favorite corps march up the hill into the pines .. with the straylight peering thru the evergreen needles. If you've ever made that march ... it will effect you deeply.

Try and find those elusive Fighting Canaries.

Wear anything that says Detroit on it and you'll be left alone, seriously that does work.

Two years ago, I decided very late to make my first trip to Allentown, and so booked a hotel about an hour north, right off I-80 in the Poconos. On Saturday, I explored Hickory Run State Park and its Boulder Field, a rather unusual formation for the eastern U.S., and a National Natural Landmark; here's a photo I found online:

5159079.jpg

Last year, I convinced a friend to join me for Allentown, and we went up a day early and camped at Hickory Run. But be warned! Though advised by posted signs, I found out the hard way that boulders can indeed shift underfoot. I took a nasty fall last year on Friday, bruised my thigh badly and was limping through the weekend and indeed for two weeks after.

A bit of trivia: the drive from Hickory Run to Allentown on I-476 passes by tunnel beneath Blue Mountain just west of Palmerton. Atop that ridge, about a thousand feet above the highway, runs the Appalachian Trail.

Watch rehearsal (Crown and Cadets are in or close to the stadium), HamFam, Lupo's, Wa Wa, watch warmups, watch performances, HamFam, Lupo's, Sno cones the size of your head.

That's all I got.

Edited by mellodramatic

Watch rehearsal (Crown and Cadets are in or close to the stadium), HamFam, Lupo's, Wa Wa, watch warmups, watch performances, HamFam, Lupo's, Sno cones the size of your head.

That's all I got.

Not this year. The Cadets will be housed in NJ, rehearsing at the Meadowlands and making the long drive in. Not sure who gets the stadium for rehearsal. Here's The Cadets preliminary schedule for Saturday. Looks like a brutal day.

6:00 am -- Wake up and pack

6:45 am -- Depart for Met Life

8:15 am -- Arrive, breakfast, unload

9:45 am -- The Day

9:55 am – Stretch & Run

10:30am -- Visual

12:30pm -- Lunch

1:00 pm -- Sectionals

2:30 pm -- Set up

2:45 pm -- Ensemble

4:15 pm -- Showers, food and load up

5:45 pm -- Travel to Allentown --- a bit of snack