What to do in Allentown

If you're not watching corps practices during the day Saturday check out Musikfest in downtown Bethlehem. Music, food and fun. There is a Polka tent in the lower concourse and sometime during the afternoon they will crown the 2012 Chicken Queen along with a rousing rendition of the Chicken Dance. Not to be missed!!

I googled Chicken Queen because, quite frankly I'm intrigued. However the results came up showing this thread, as well as all kinds of restaurants named Chicken Queen, so my question is this: Will a real young woman be crowned Chicken Queen and do we bow to Her Majesty, or will the chicken queen have lots of feathers, think marigold petals and crushed corn are treats, and instead of a crown, become a become a feast for the evening?

Wawa is a good choice when in the area. And drinking at the bar on Hamilton across from the park before and after the show. Who doesn't go there? That place is a who's who of drum corps staff after the shows.

And another thing to do in Allentown is bring me a freaking small root beer sno-cone while I'm interviewing staff members if it's really hot out.

(Okay...perhaps I should have thought that out in the event I go into a sugar coma.)

• Like 1

Wawa is a good choice when in the area. And drinking at the bar on Hamilton across from the park before and after the show. Who doesn't go there? That place is a who's who of drum corps staff after the shows.

Sadly, I've heard that bar is closed!! What's everybody going to do?!!

Does any one know which corps will be practicing close to Allentown and where they are? I am looking for somethng to watch during the day while my wife is out pissing away the kids inheriance.

Does any one know which corps will be practicing close to Allentown and where they are? I am looking for somethng to watch during the day while my wife is out pissing away the kids inheriance.

Just follow your ears anywhere in a 3 mile radius of the stadium. And you will find crown practicing. ;-)

• Like 2

Someone posted on Lupo's facebook page that it is closed. True?

Your best bet is to check the websites of the various corps. I honestly don't know which ones get housing close to Allentown and what you consider "close". The Crossmen are all the way out by Gettysburg. That's far. Madison is in Easton. That's closer, but still about 45 minutes away.

The park near the stadium is full of warm-up activity prior to the show and starting as early as mid-afternoon for some of the corps which go on first. It's big enough for corps to not be in each other's way.

I know this isn't really "on topic", but I was wondering if I could find some old scores for this show and here's what I found in 1978.

Call is "blast from the past". Now, that's a corps-filled event. I wonder if the date is correct and we really did it all in one day:

Saturday July 8, 1978

DCI East Prelims

Allentown, PA

1 Madison Scouts 83.70

2 Phantom Regiment 82.40

3 Bridgemen 81.70

4 Blue Devils 81.50

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 79.80

6 Crossmen 78.65

7 North Star 75.40

8 27th Lancers 74.40

9 Blue Stars 72.80