What to do in Allentown

I have to say, I really miss the old prelims-finals Allentown days. I'd love to see DCI return to that format, even if only for one show in Allentown.

One of the reasons prelims and finals were fun, though, was that positions actually changed. Check out how Blue Devils went from 4th to 1st and Madison dropped from 1st to 3rd. Things were much more dynamic.

We're lucky now between Semis and Finals to see one position change.

Does any one know which corps will be practicing close to Allentown and where they are? I am looking for somethng to watch during the day while my wife is out pissing away the kids inheriance.

Spirit of Atlanta is pretty close on Friday.

Cavaliers are at this same site on Saturday.

Salisbury High School

500 E Montgomery St.

Salisbury, PA 18103

Carolina Crown

Raub Middle School

102 S St. Cloud St.

Allentown, PA 18104

Rehearsal: Park on Union Street one block from Raub MS

Edited by OldBones82

A few things I've discovered (my fiancé lives very close to Atown)...

1 musikfest has been mentioned, but I'd just like to re-state it. It's also FREE and done of the music is really good.

2 try the columcille megalith park near stroudsburg. If you're a hippy, you'll love this place.

3 there are some great wineries in the area. Try Calvaresi winery. Their Baco Noir is amazing.

4 This is mainly for boo, but try Vegan Treats in Bethlehem. I'm lactose intolerant, and it's a very high quality vegan bakery that you would NEVER know is vegan if it wasn't in the title name.

5 the lehigh valley mall is good, but try the airport rd south area, lots of nice shops there.

6 if you are not a vegetarian.... Try Dietrich smoked meats in kutztown or Bethlehem brew-works (best burger I've ever had)

7 just wander the poconos. If you want a really cool place to stay for you and a very special person, try paradise streams.... They have saunas and pools in the room....

Fortunately for me, I have some interviews this weekend! Unfortunately it means I can't tour guide anyone this weekend.

I know this isn't really "on topic", but I was wondering if I could find some old scores for this show and here's what I found in 1978.

Call is "blast from the past". Now, that's a corps-filled event. I wonder if the date is correct and we really did it all in one day:

yes you did. go to corpsreps....26 corps in prelims, started at 7 something am...first corps on, Star of Indiana.

then 12 at night made finals

Allentown is my favorite drum corps weekend of the year. It is awesome to have the full line up of World Class corps stretched out over two relaxing nights, outdoors.

I always head out Saturday morning for a joy ride .... to Quakertown, Easton, Jim Thorpe, whatever ... and stop at nearly every garage sale along the way. Barn sales are especially abundant toward Kutztown. On Southwest Airlines, pack your second empty suitcase at no charge, and fill it up with Allentown Popcorn Company tins, Amish handicrafts, usable farm tools, burlap potato sacks, bric-a-brac, tchotchkes, and other Pennsylvania treasures.

Steaks are consistently great at Jack Creeks. Near the airport, off of route 22. Full menu to please everyone.

Of the many diners in the area, my favorite .. by far ... is Sunrise Diner. Head to downtown Allentown, then follow the signs to Quakertown. Sunrise Diner is just 2 miles or so from downtown Allentown.

Nobody has given away the best parking spot ... so here goes. Shhhh. Do not tell anyone. Park on Chew Street. It is one block away behind the grandstands and Greenwood Cemetery. Visit the nearby Allentown Fairgrounds market for pizza, blueberries, pickles, and a haircut.

Don't fall for what these guys are saying. Yocco's is terrible food. It looks like something that would make Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but the hot dogs suck. If you want a good hot dog, eat at Jimmy John's before the West Chester show tonight.

It's not terrible. The pierogies more than make up for the hot dogs (which are not anything extraordinary -- there just average hot dogs).

Make sure you catch the world's greatest breakfast at Hamilton Family Restaraunt. Affectionately called the "Ham Fam".

DOn't listen to the hype. Yocco's hot dogs are over-rated. I have had better at little league baseball games.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters