Hey, Parents!

Let's see, he's called exactly twice (and I couldn't hear/understand him over the bus chatter either time -- both of which were "I need this" calls!). He does PM occasionally on FB (the last one being, "I have some plans to tell you about when I see you in a couple weeks." My response: "Please tell me you're still planning to go to college...."). This is his 2nd year; last year he comm'd a bit more frequently, this year I'm happy to give him his space (he starts college in the fall -- unless he's changed his plans!). He's earned it!

I've had sporadic communication with my son...mostly texting. He has called just a few times, usually on laundry day. I was concerned in the beginning during spring training when I just didn't hear from him at all because my son was the only one of my kids who, during his first year of college, would want to come home most often. So I figured he either was miserable and didn't want to tell me or super busy. Turns out not only was he working very hard he was having a blast, and still is. When he's happy, I'm happy. He had a free day when performing at home and we spent that day with him. He is having the time of his life and as long as I know that, daily communication isn't necessary for us. I also think there is a corps mentality and focus that I'm afraid might be disrupted by daily check-ins with family.

Edited by KC4Bloo

From a FMM perspective...I called every other day or so. Texted daily.

It wasn't because I felt I had to, but I wanted to. I have a great relationship with my parents and they fully supported my 7 seasons both emotionally and financially.

As someone said before, it really just depends on your own family dynamic. Although, definitely as a sign of the time, I got my first cell phone in 2003 just because I was going away on tour.

Texts every couple of days, calls once a week or less. She tweets a couple times a week and posts on FB less than once a week. Most of the calls are at 0730 in the AM when they're not getting floor time, but have an hour or so before breakfast. Much easier to talk to her when everyone else is asleep. Called once last year after a show and 30 seconds in she shouted, "GOTTA GO. BUS WAR JUST STARTED."

From a FMM perspective...I called every other day or so. Texted daily.

It wasn't because I felt I had to, but I wanted to. I have a great relationship with my parents and they fully supported my 7 seasons both emotionally and financially.

As someone said before, it really just depends on your own family dynamic. Although, definitely as a sign of the time, I got my first cell phone in 2003 just because I was going away on tour.

Ahhh... this Mom loves you! Now I don't feel so bad about how often my kids call or text. We're a very close family and we all love drum corps. :inlove: I'd like to add we don't have long drawn out conversations or texts, just a "how ya doing".

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

The frequency may also depend on the age of the Corp member. My son is a rookie and just turned 16. I hear from him via phone about once or twice a week. We text a few times (mostly me) a week. If it was my college age son I would probably be in a little less contact.

I remember a few years ago hearing that some corps don't allow cell phones on tour at all. The idea is that you are on tour to focus exclusively on the task at hand. There were cell phones available for emergency communication, and there were numbers provided to parents if they needed to get in touch, but for those three months, you were a part of a collective. Is that still the case at some corps? I know that none of the groups I've taught have had such a rule, but I remember hearing that some had such policies.

The Cavaliers do state a no-phone policy in their contract and I know a bunch of members there who said that for the most part, it's true. If you bring a phone, they ask you to give it to them to keep. On free days, if you want it you can get it but it's often dead anyway. They offer use of staff phones. My son has never marched there so I have no personal experience with this, however.

I am not sure if the activity is different, or if the culture is different, or a little of both. It isn't like the kids are on the phone 24/7 calling and texting. They are still practicing just as hard and putting their heart and soul into drum corps, but things change. The experience that was had 5 to 10 years ago is different than the one that is had today. It isn't better or worse, but it is different. I bet if you asked someone from any given period in drum corps they would tell you that the time they were marching was the best time to be doing it, and would have multiple reasons why. That is because being in drums corps is great. Just like the time period that you were a kid was the best time to be a kid. That's because being a kid is great! So some kids like to call/text their parents more, and the corps let them. It isn't what use to happen, but things change. I like hearing from my daughter, and she likes to text me. She does it on the bus and she uses text so that she is quiet and dosen't bother anyone. I don't see it as a problem or distraction. Her corps dosen't see it as a problem or distracton. In fact she has been moved up to a first part. She is able to focus and work when she needs to, but she needs to relax when she can. If texting me helps then text away. Other kids don't do it and that's OK too. Everyone do your own thing! Whatever works for you!

• Like 2