When did musical arrangement get complex?

MIke D explained it best

in layman's terms transcription is writing what you hear as close to the original, an arrangement is composing a piece based on existing work, with variation in music and/or instrumentation... simply writing note for note in another key is considered an "arrangement".

one more time, from an actual professional:

TRANSCRIPTION AND ARRANGEMENT AREN'T THE SAME THING, REGARDLESS OF THEIR NOUN OR VERB FORM.

An actual professional what? An actual professional who didn't do his homework? Look it up in the Harvard Dictionary of Music. I kid you not... In standard music terminology the words are interchangeable. This is widely accepted in both the academic and symphonic worlds. I wouldn't say it just for the heck of it. Maybe writing it in a bigger font would make it more believable.

And from an actual professional musician with A list film, television, and recording industry credits (MGM, UA, Disney, National Geographic, etc.), a music educator with 30+ years in the field, numerous professional awards, and a DCI individual championship (as if any of that matters to the discussion, but one good chest pounding deserves another):

It's a good idea to check the accepted reference texts on this stuff. Although you may be accustomed to using the terms incorrectly, and feel a need to defend that and perpetuate their misuse, that doesn't change the actual meaning of the words.

Or, in layman's terms - bzzzzzt wrong. LOL

An actual professional what? An actual professional who didn't do his homework? Look it up in the Harvard Dictionary of Music. I kid you not... In standard music terminology the words are interchangeable. This is widely accepted in both the academic and symphonic worlds. I wouldn't say it just for the heck of it. Maybe writing it in a bigger font would make it more believable.

And from an actual professional musician with A list film, television, and recording industry credits (MGM, UA, Disney, National Geographic, etc.), a music educator with 30+ years in the field, numerous professional awards, and a DCI individual championship (as if any of that matters to the discussion, but one good chest pounding deserves another):

It's a good idea to check the accepted reference texts on this stuff. Although you may be accustomed to using the terms incorrectly, and feel a need to defend that and perpetuate their misuse, that doesn't change the actual meaning of the words.

Or, in layman's terms - bzzzzzt wrong. LOL

WRONG... in the music world, academic settings and professional industry you would be laughed at for your ignorance of the two words.

And no amount of online anonymous self appraisal (which in a variance of being true or not, due to the anonymity, textbook wise, is most likely false) will give you "street cred" like somehow since you have spoken, its therefore "law" ... some of us are professionals with a lot more experience... not "forum tales" experience, but actual. Usually when one has to point out their rather embarassingly modest accomplishments in online forums, but yet remain anonymous, is a sign of a bigger emotional issue, like an inferiority complex and insecurity.

but aside from all that nonsense,

here is a comprehensive, industry accepted clarification:

Arrangement vs. Transcription

Strictly defined, a transcription is an exact note for note rendition of a piece of music written for one instrument and played on another (i.e. guitar to piano). Literal (or note for note) transcriptions are rare. More common is a rendition that seeks to retain the character of the original while making some accommodations for capabilities and limitations of the instrument upon which the music will be performed. While this rendition may still be called a "transcription", it is more accurately an "arrangement". Certain parts of the music have been "arranged" to work better on the non-native instrument.

The approach employed in an arrangement will vary depending on the style of music being arranged. In the classical idiom it is considered arrogant to "fix" or "rewrite" the music of brilliant composers such as Bach or Mozart. In this instance, the most acceptable arrangement would be one of adaptation, with as little alteration as possible. In pop music, however, it would be okay or even preferable, to stylize yet another version of "Yesterday". In this case it would be expected that the arranger may re-work chords, add notes and melodies, and change the form.

here endeth the lesson

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken

... And no amount of online anonymous self appraisal (which in a variance of being true or not, due to the anonymity, textbook wise, is most likely false) will give you "street cred" like somehow since you have spoken, its therefore "law" ... some of us are professionals with a lot more experience... not "forum tales" experience, but actual. Usually when one has to point out their rather embarrassingly modest accomplishments in online forums, but yet remain anonymous, is a sign of a bigger emotional issue, like an inferiority complex and insecurity...

... here endeth the lesson

You are going to blast MarimbasaurusRex for keeping his anonymity, yet you yourself are making very strong authoritative proclamations claiming that you are Da Expert while you yourself remain anonymous! There is a word which describes your situation here; please look 'that' word up in the dictionary. People remain anonymous for various reasons; example: I do not want any of my personal information out on the web posted in Forums by me or others, and I do not want my opinions to be reflected as being endorsed by the organization I am with, so I choose to remain anonymous. I also choose not to blast others for their anonymity, even if it appears that they are attempting to hide behind that anonymity. Why? Because this is just, and I mean JUST a Forum to share opinions; nothing more. Blast a persons opinions, or even question their claims to fame; but blasting a person's anonymity, especially since you yourself are remaining anonymous, provides no support for a position of opinion.

here endeth the lesson

You are going to blast MarimbasaurusRex for keeping his anonymity, yet you yourself are making very strong authoritative proclamations claiming that you are Da Expert while you yourself remain anonymous! There is a word which describes your situation here; please look 'that' word up in the dictionary. People remain anonymous for various reasons; example: I do not want any of my personal information out on the web posted in Forums by me or others, and I do not want my opinions to be reflected as being endorsed by the organization I am with, so I choose to remain anonymous. I also choose not to blast others for their anonymity, even if it appears that they are attempting to hide behind that anonymity. Why? Because this is just, and I mean JUST a Forum to share opinions; nothing more. Blast a persons opinions, or even question their claims to fame; but blasting a person's anonymity, especially since you yourself are remaining anonymous, provides no support for a position of opinion.

here endeth the lesson

you beat me to this - but I wanted to ask how he can consider Marimbasaurus anonymous when his fricken picture is in his profile and appears on all his posts?

here endeth the lesson

you're missing the point... the guy decided to bring in his resume to establish some sort of credibility as an "expert" on the subject... it has no bearing on the point, just a courtesy disclaimer to excuse his arrogance and obnoxiousness. At the end of the day, you pick and choose your battles and semantics and small details that could be varied as their are opinions arent such a poignant purpose. Anyone can claim "this and that" if their ulterior motive is to establish some sort of expert authority in a discussion... but any academic or truly experienced person would first and foremost stick to the subject at hand, not try to condescend or introduce a red herring (which is a bush league thing to do)....

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken

you're missing the point... the guy decided to bring in his resume to establish some sort of credibility as an "expert" on the subject... it has no bearing on the point, just a courtesy disclaimer to excuse his arrogance and obnoxiousness. At the end of the day, you pick and choose your battles and semantics and small details that could be varied as their are opinions arent such a poignant purpose. Anyone can claim "this and that" if their ulterior motive is to establish some sort of expert authority in a discussion... but any academic or truly experienced person would first and foremost stick to the subject at hand, not try to condescend or introduce a red herring (which is a bush league thing to do)....

Thus saith the Lord; Da Expert has spoken.