Dear Show Designers

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the great pop songs maybe ever.

Really? I mean...Daft Punk is on record saying they wanted to redefine what EDM is with this album, and while this is only one song from it, it is quite possibly the most STOCK Daft Punk tune ever right down the vocoder. Not saying it isn't catchy, but they hate on EDM artists for using the same pads and samples in their music yet they basically cut and paste their old albums and put this out as "new and innovative".

</rant>

Really? I mean...Daft Punk is on record saying they wanted to redefine what EDM is with this album, and while this is only one song from it, it is quite possibly the most STOCK Daft Punk tune ever right down the vocoder. Not saying it isn't catchy, but they hate on EDM artists for using the same pads and samples in their music yet they basically cut and paste their old albums and put this out as "new and innovative".

</rant>

Maybe I should say that by "best," I mean "most accessible for those of us who don't normally enjoy EDM."

Either way... that groove.

This is one of the great pop songs maybe ever.

I enjoy this tune immensely. But I see no reasonable way to put this in a drum corps show and maintain such enjoyment.

</rant>

I must admit that, after watching the Random Access Memories videos of Pharrel, Niles and Todd Edwards describing DP revolutionizing music and how it is made on this upcoming "cd" ... I was a tad bit disappointed in Get Lucky. It's a helluva tune. A lot of fun. But this is essentially Daft Punk re-hashing Jamiroquai by skipping back to Niles Rogers and disco instead of simply imitating it. Kind of the opposite of revolutionizing music.

Still ... fun stuff.

This needs to be put on a field. Now. Crown or Bluecoats, please get on this. Or SCV. Or Phantom. Someone

i can see this being straight up Bluecoats or Crossmen's alley.

While I completely agree that there is a lot of great current pop music that would work well for corps and I really like the tunes picked by the OP, I disagree w/ the opinion that corps haven't brought the house down musically in the last 6 or 7 years.

As an old fart myself, I see the musical direction of the past few years as a rebirth towards more of an old school approach to programming. The reps for 2011-13 are, for the most part, more fan-friendly and emotionally engaging than previous years and a move towards more musically- rather than visually-driven shows. The reps are getting better every year imo. There are notable exceptions, but I see a clear trend in the right direction. While a lot of it is very good, exciting symphonic and wind band music (some of which has been done before, but I don't have a problem w/ that), there is quite a bit of equally good pop and jazz stuff.

Rather than a drastic change or reversal of programming, I see the OP's idea as complementary to an already improving programming trend.

Let me think: do I want to hear ....... James Swearingen?

No....just no.