Dear Show Designers

Son, if you only knew who you were talking to, and how involved in the industry I really am...

What - this somehow makes your opinions more valid?

• Like 3

the fact still remains that most of today's pop hits follow a formula. And yes, it's generally to get radio play. And that formula causes artists to have to conform to the formula to be accepted among the elite and have true success (sound famillar?)!

I think I get where you are going with this. You are attempting to make the point that people who write and perform pop music want to be heard on the radio. This is because music that is played on the radio is a good thing, whereas music that is not appealing enough to get onto the radio is not a good thing. So they write music that has a better chance of being played on the radio than writing music that is perceived by radio executive producers to have low public appeal and so it won't be given the opportunity by the stations to play that music on the radio. Advertisers pay money to radio stations that play music that people want to hear. Thats because if radio stations play music that people want to hear, then more people listen to that station. This makes advertisers very happy. Thats because they would rather give their advertisers dollars to a radio station that has lots of listeners than radio stations that have few listeners. So composers that write music that is obscure oftentimes find that their music career becomes quite obscure. The word " pop " is an abbreviated word for " popular ". All things being equal, it is better to write music that is popular than music that is unpopular. ( are you with me so far ?.. I don't want to go too fast here, nor make this too complex ). There are radio stations that have unique niches, with unique musical genres. They are found on the FM dial mostly, and usually played late at night. Advertisers pay much lower and disounted rates for space on these radio stations, as few people want to listen to that type of music. In sum, it is better to be on the radio, then not on the radio. Its basically been this way since 1910 where radio stations determined that Opera Music and Church Music was the most popular music to put on the radio that most people were interested in at the time :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_of_public_radio_broadcasting

Edited by BRASSO

[quote name='stevedb1975' timestamp='1368229915' post='3260617'

Son, if you only knew who you were talking to, and how involved in the industry I really am...

So, will the mention of your name get me a free beer ?

So, will the mention of your name get me a free beer ?

So you want a little payola, huh ?

What - this somehow makes your opinions more valid?

Slow down. That wasn't at all my point. I was responding to someone who accused me of not listening to pop music or having any clue about it. That's all. But if you want to read more into what I wrote than exactly what I wrote, I can't stop you from doing that, I suppose.

• Like 2

Slow down. That wasn't at all my point. I was responding to someone who accused me of not listening to pop music or having any clue about it. That's all. But if you want to read more into what I wrote than exactly what I wrote, I can't stop you from doing that, I suppose.

Oh, I got your point very clearly.

So you want a little payola, huh ?

If I wanted payola I'd ask for a pigfoot and a bottle of gin, the piano players bring me down.

All I want is a cold beer

:shutup:

• Like 1

If I wanted payola I'd ask for a pigfoot and a bottle of gin, the piano players bring me down.

All I want is a cold beer

:shutup:/>/>

I know 4 hikers that drank gin, then told me they saw bigfoot.

Edited by BRASSO