Revenue sharing

There is already revenue sharing in the form of show fees. A lot of the less successful corps are likely getting higher fees by performing in a show with the more successful corps than they would be getting if the successful corps were not there.

Or the remaining smaller, struggling units could just quit banging their collective heads against the glass ceiling and organize together like a reverse-Combine/DCI, and go back to copying the successful format that worked so well in the Golden Age: community-based drum and bugle corps doing showy, crowd-pleasing music and drill with inexpensive instruments that are easy to learn to play.

Just to give some context, here's what a World Class corps reported the expenses were for their junior world class drum corps operations in 2009 (the most recent year for which this data is available for most corps -- data from guidestar.org):

$319,287 Cascades

$323,344 Jersey Surf

$369,428 Pioneer

$386,265 Teal Sound

$408,637 Pacific Crest

$515,352 Madison Scouts

$586,257 Blue Knights

$675,619 Boston Crusaders

$703,354 Troopers

$723,216 Crossmen

$729,158 Glassmen

$740,053 Blue Stars

$760,197 Bluecoats

$765,798 Phantom Regiment

$803,874 Carolina Crown

$1,046,875 The Cavaliers

$1,047,699 The Cadets

$1,266,338 Santa Clara Vanguard

$1,635,936 Blue Devils

Couldn't find Mandarins or Spirit right away. And Colts doesn't separate out the A corps from the cadet corps in their 2009 return, so I just left them off. The Blue Devils and SCV numbers are *just* the A corps.

Edited by skywhopper

Just to give some context, here's what a World Class corps reported the expenses were for their junior world class drum corps operations in 2009 (the most recent year for which this data is available for most corps -- data from guidestar.org):

$319,287 Cascades

$323,344 Jersey Surf

$369,428 Pioneer

$386,265 Teal Sound

$408,637 Pacific Crest

$515,352 Madison Scouts

$586,257 Blue Knights

$703,354 Troopers

$723,216 Crossmen

$729,158 Glassmen

$740,053 Blue Stars

$760,197 Bluecoats

$803,874 Carolina Crown

$1,046,875 The Cavaliers

$1,047,699 The Cadets

$1,635,936 Blue Devils

Couldn't find Mandarins or Spirit right away. And Colts doesn't separate out the A corps from the cadet corps in their 2009 return, so I just left them off. The Blue Devils and SCV numbers are *just* the A corps.

Interesting observations about your research: Notice who the top *7* are in operational expenses; Notice where those *7* typically place in DCI competitions; notice that those *7* were the organizations which created the G7 plan; ...

Edited by Stu

I recently exchanged some e-mails with Dave Gibbs regarding a podcast he did with the Marching Roundtable. In the show he mentioned creating several divisions aimed at helping smaller corps achieve competitive success by competing within their size and experience. I asked him if BD would be in a position to assist some of these groups, and perhaps some start-ups. I was thinking logistical assistance, but it was Dave that brought up the financial aspect. Considering their three drum corps, winter guard, Diablo Wind Symphony, etc., their funding needs are tremendous (as are SCV with two corps, winter guard and percussion, etc.), so financially supporting another organization is not feasible. And I agree. Considering the expenses of those groups, especially TWO touring corps going all the way from California to points east, their budget is probably so tight it squeaks.

Like I said above, it's the same with SCV, and the Cadets number above may also be supporting their band circuit expenses, too.

Garry in Vegas

$319,287 Cascades

$323,344 Jersey Surf

$369,428 Pioneer

$386,265 Teal Sound

$408,637 Pacific Crest

$515,352 Madison Scouts

$586,257 Blue Knights

$703,354 Troopers

$723,216 Crossmen

$729,158 Glassmen

$740,053 Blue Stars

$760,197 Bluecoats

$803,874 Carolina Crown

$1,046,875 The Cavaliers

$1,047,699 The Cadets

$1,635,936 Blue Devils

Careful -- this is a look at the *organization's* expenses, not the corps'. BDBPA, Inc. has more programs than just the drum corps. As does YEA!, Crown, etc.

Edited to say that some of the orgs actually have the programs itemized.

Edited by whitedawn

... In the show he mentioned creating several divisions aimed at helping smaller corps achieve competitive success by competing within their size and experience.

Really? I mean Really? This is one of the main architects of the G7 proposal which was a plan that would have 'forcibly' relegated corps like Boston, Scouts, etc... to a lower status and completely eliminated all DCI support whatsoever for corps like Oregon Crusaders, 7th Regiment, etc... At this point, I for one do not trust the man if he says he wants to help smaller corps.

• Like 1

Or the remaining smaller, struggling units could just quit banging their collective heads against the glass ceiling and organize together like a reverse-Combine/DCI, and go back to copying the successful format that worked so well in the Golden Age: community-based drum and bugle corps doing showy, crowd-pleasing music and drill with inexpensive instruments that are easy to learn to play.

Translated: All but the top corps should go away and play in your own sandbox so the top corps can claim 40 years of DCI history (and rights) for their own without having to slice the revenue pie so thin.

Just so we're clear.