Hello Choreography, Goodbye Marching

IMHO the dancing,theatrics singing etc have taken the place of the crisp marching style of a bygone era.

The Colour Pres. was always one of my favourite parts of the show. Hearing the patriotic music as the Corps came towards you with the National Flag carried proudly while the other flags were dipped in a solemn reverent salute was a sight to behold. Witness this part of history at any Alumni show today and you will understand what I am speaking of.

There s a Corps very active today doing modern drill, playing a combination of old and new music some of it classical and they ALWAYS get a standing O,

They don't roll on the ground dance or prance use props wear sequined uniforms etc but put on a very entertaining show that brings the crowd to its feet each time they perform.

Their name ? Oh yeah The United States MARINE Drum and Bugle Corps!!!

And by the way they STILL use 2 valve G bugles!

They continue to show what can be done without all the gimmicks glitz schmaltz etc.

Next year they celebrate 80 years.Not too any Corps can boast that length of operation!

Love watching the Marine D&BC! But modern drill? lol

Also, as much as I hate saying this, if they did exactly the same stuff but had no military affiliation, their crowd reactions would be nowhere what they are now. Being Marines is good for some kick-### bonus points with crowds. :)

• Like 2

Love watching the Marine D&BC! But modern drill? lol

Also, as much as I hate saying this, if they did exactly the same stuff but had no military affiliation, their crowd reactions would be nowhere what they are now. Being Marines is good for some kick-### bonus points with crowds. :)

this is true........although they do play very well...the well deserved support is about who they are more than what they do( although done well) the support is mainly IMO because of the dedication and service to us all.......no comparision to todays or either BITD drum corps..it stands on it's own.

this is true........although they do play very well...the well deserved support is about who they are more than what they do( although done well) the support is mainly IMO because of the dedication and service to us all.......no comparision to todays or either BITD drum corps..it stands on it's own.

Well said. They could come out with kazoos and still get a standing O, which is awesome.

I'd just like to point out that virtually all current members of the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps are "veterans" of DCI or DCA, and the rest have extraordinary marching band skills. There is a little audition involved, you see.

This style of drum corps is every bit as valid as any other and requires as much skill and a good deal more dedication, in this instance.

Playing Renaissance music well is no less an achievement than performing John Adams or Frank Zappa.

An appreciation of history will enhance an understanding of the present, even in something as relatively trivial as the drum corps activity.

I'd just like to point out that virtually all current members of the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps are "veterans" of DCI or DCA, and the rest have extraordinary marching band skills. There is a little audition involved, you see.

This style of drum corps is every bit as valid as any other and requires as much skill and a good deal more dedication, in this instance.

Playing Renaissance music well is no less an achievement than performing John Adams or Frank Zappa.

An appreciation of history will enhance an understanding of the present, even in something as relatively trivial as the drum corps activity.

I dont think anyone is questioning that. All some are saying is that there cant be a comparison. I myself was taugh by Truman Crawford who was very much involved in that program so I for one get it BUT as I said the response is not just for quality ( which there is ) but for who they are and what they represent which is given the respect it deserves.

Another poster wrote something like " see, without gimmicks " what they do and drum corps does either today or even BITD cant be compared no matter what the membership consists of. They are two different animals, totally different and each stands on their own merrits.

Apples and oranges. Both are delicious.

Be careful with wording though. "requires as much skill?" The skill levels needed to play in the Marine D&BC vs. performing 2013 Carolina Crown are worlds apart. That's not to say the Marine boys aren't talented (had several DCI buddies go there, all of whom were beasts), but the level of skill actually required is quite different. Like Guardling said--two totally different animals.

So are there some people ITT that actually prefer choreography to marching?

Apples and oranges. Both are delicious.

Be careful with wording though. "requires as much skill?" The skill levels needed to play in the Marine D&BC vs. performing 2013 Carolina Crown are worlds apart. That's not to say the Marine boys aren't talented (had several DCI buddies go there, all of whom were beasts), but the level of skill actually required is quite different. Like Guardling said--two totally different animals.

Agree 100%. In fact once you've mastered the technique, IMHO marching is far less demanding than choreography/dance. Far more muscle groups are involved with dance -- many of which make playing well far more challenging (keeping "body" out of the horn can be far more difficult than keeping "feet" out of the horn). Of course marching at 200+ bpm is a challenge all it's own. So marching certainly can be demanding in some situations. But most of the time it's an unconscious act -- deliberately so -- so the performer can focus on music and drill responsibilities.

Anyway -- marching is just an extremely formalized and complex dance. So everyone -- even the Marines ! -- are out there dancing away on a football field.

So are there some people ITT that actually prefer choreography to marching?

Why does it have to be either/or? IMO the best visual designs are those that utilize ALL methods of movement throughout the course of their program. I would say that a group that does zero choreography is not preferable to a group that does choreography AND traditional marching. Vice versa, a group that does zero marching is not preferable to a group that does choreography and traditional marching.

In this day & age, I think we are accustomed to getting it all: groups that only give us some are not cutting it

• Like 1

Why does it have to be either/or? IMO the best visual designs are those that utilize ALL methods of movement throughout the course of their program. I would say that a group that does zero choreography is not preferable to a group that does choreography AND traditional marching. Vice versa, a group that does zero marching is not preferable to a group that does choreography and traditional marching.

In this day & age, I think we are accustomed to getting it all: groups that only give us some are not cutting it

:dancin::thumbup: