Hello Choreography, Goodbye Marching

You want things to REALLY change? Take away the scoreboard...

Think about it.

I wonder how many marchers would pay thousands of dollars to travel around the country in busses to do 28-38 exhibitions in their summer though. I know I wouldn't.

• Like 1

lol..omg...as far as guard some things actually have gone back...just a bit....there has been some exchanges again just in a different way...as soon as artistry came into play there had to be more ways to create effect other than the obvious..Im not agreeing or disagreeing BUT I think some of the past can easily be incorporated today.

OMG a drummer....lol.....i remember back in the day threatining drummers with bodily harm if they drummed on the back of my seat for weeks,,,lol

:tongue:

You'd think that I would be most up in arms about things that have happened to my own section, but I can honestly say I love what has happened to the battery in the last 30 years. The bass in particular just blow me away. I think of all sections the battery is the one that has evolved most "naturally" while staying true to its heritage.

Edited by Grandpa

:tongue:

You'd think that I would be most up in arms about things that have happened to my own section, but I can honestly say Iove what has happened to the battery in the last 30 years. The bass in particular just blow me away. I think of all sections the battery is the one that has evolved most "naturally" while staying true to its heritage.

ok youre a drummer..heres a question..i work with drummers all the time and noone answers me, they just laugh. Back in the late 80s and 90s I remember many many many tapes saying the pit is visually in the way, the pit is way to loud,many tapes , every week..they even moved pits to the side, on the field etc et...well now we make them louder..lol..did i miss something?......lol

• Like 1

ok youre a drummer..heres a question..i work with drummers all the time and noone answers me, they just laugh. Back in the late 80s and 90s I remember many many many tapes saying the pit is visually in the way, the pit is way to loud,many tapes , every week..they even moved pits to the side, on the field etc et...well now we make them louder..lol..did i miss something?......lol

Stop asking logical questions....

While I love the battery evolution, the pit is absolutely my public enemy number one in terms of what's on the field. Too big, too loud, and it's where all the electronics are. There is definitely a place for the pit, I don't advocate scrapping it altogether (like some of my fellow dinos) but its importance has grown out of all proportion, IMHO.

See - this is why I love the battery. It's the section that just motors around backfield playing incredible beats and manages to stay, for the most part, out of all the controversial stuff.

Jeff hits this on the head. What used to almost appear as spontanaeity - because it was so well done, like the kick accents from Cadets snare line in 2000, for example - has become "for the sake of" or mechanical..."forced" as he puts it. Degree of difficulty is an important consideration, but do i have to turn myself into a pretzel and play a 16th note run in order to display "simultaneous responsibility"?

It's crazy to think that a straight up interpretation, with NO "body enhancements" during a chorale-type brass passage, for example, can perhaps be MORE effective nowadays in its economy of, or absence of, interpretive movement; Stillness being/creating the "effect."

The best combination I've seen in a while....of the choreographed combined with old school is this year's OREGON CRUSADERS. It is such a cool blend of contemporary and traditional and the calls at the end to Suncoast, Blue Devils, Garfield and Cavaliers are just SO fantastic and fun.... a reminder that BOTH styles have a place on that "stage" and can still create goose bump moments for the fan (and still get a score?)...i suppose the tag on that sentence is the other side of the coin.

I don't have an issue with the body stuff, but too often it feels forced, especially in drum breaks...like people are fulfilling their compulsory items to get a score.

We may have never had "all" corps follow the leader, but it is hard to argue the influence of 83-84-85-87 Garfield. The "formula", especially as it related to percussion integration into the score and visual picture was pervasive in many "up-and-coming" corps at the time....in fact, I will go out on a limb and say there are 25 examples of Garfield emulators to be found if we look hard enough.

I'd say MANY corps during the 88-92 era, below the top 12 and into D2 and D3, sacrificed their individual identities to emulate the Garfield formula (symphonic fanfare, velocity, ballad, velocity, fanfare, fast ending with lots of 32nd notes in the drumline) and really started to sound the same.

On some of the recordings you could close your eyes to try to guess the corps and it would be "Garfield" or "cant make it out - kinda sounds like Garfield" - Blue Knights is a fair example of this, and for a while. It isnt a criticism, so please save your hater mail...its an example of more than a little "influence." BK could have chosen "who they wanted to be" and they sounded for many years like Garfield West or a Garfield Knockoff, IMHO.

VERY few corps have ever even TRIED to sound like BD (Marauders, '87 and for good reason :) until 1996 when they all started to drum like BD did two years earlier.

We've never had Corps all follow the leader and winning Corps in the past the following year.

Can you IMAGINE seeing a 9.5 6.5 on any judges' sheet? Or a 6.7 9.3? First set is super hard and a little dirty (BD in June). Second set is easy and squeaky clean (name corps here so I dont get shot). Corps B ties Blue Devils in this show! Might be fun.

and i have posted three times in a row and am dominating the conversation and feeling somewhat rude at this point.

I was just at lunch thinking about the Olympics as well, i.e. difficulty and/or start value type concepts. Drum corps these days is pretty wide-open on the creativity front. I'm not sure about the mechanics of implementing any sort of "compulsory" items movement and music wise, while at the same time not stifling creativity.

It just seems to me that the design/structure has more influence on the score than the actual performance of the show. If corps could begin with a start score, or maximum possible based on the planned show elements, as long as they attempted all the elements, the only judging would be - did they do all that was planned? and, deductions for performance imperfections.

Edited by wishbonecav