Let's bring it for open class!

As a big fan of open class I have to say it's rather pathetic that our threads here are considered long if they go over a few pages where as on WC threads... just having, for example, the words "blue devils" in it generates ad nauseum comments... please... take some interest in open class and post here! Open class corps kids sleep on busses and melt in the dog days of summer heat too! Big championship coming with a corps very possibly taking the title for the first time. And even if pigs fly and that doesn't happen, it's going to be a contest. Enthusiasm anyone?

• Like 1

Enthused. Wanted to go to finals but just couldn't swing it. We are in Cali and it is a long way for us to go. I will go with the corps on food crew next year! Till then I hang out and get texts from my daughter and do what I can to let people know how fantastic open class is. Don't miss the competition this year because it is going to be fierce.

I don't understand why is there isn't love for Open Class!

Though I'm a Crusaders fan because my son marches with them, I love all the open class corps, love the dedication shown to these smaller corps that often have struggles just staying afloat. It seems like open class are like second class citizens in this drum corps world... to which I am very new i admit. I understand why the WC is so loved... they are phenomenal...but I'm telling you... pages and pages and pages of arguing about how tenths of points could be gained or lost and big shake ups and what not... it's all great... I guess I just don't understand why nobody has these knock down drag out conversations in the open class forum. Can anyone explain that to me? Is it simply lack of interest? I have had a ball following scores and rankings for open class, but I want more action!

As a big fan of open class I have to say it's rather pathetic that our threads here are considered long if they go over a few pages where as on WC threads... just having, for example, the words "blue devils" in it generates ad nauseum comments... please... take some interest in open class and post here! Open class corps kids sleep on busses and melt in the dog days of summer heat too! Big championship coming with a corps very possibly taking the title for the first time. And even if pigs fly and that doesn't happen, it's going to be a contest. Enthusiasm anyone?

I, too, love the Open Class; I attend the Michigan City OC Finals then go to see them at the Thursday Morning WC Championship prelims in Indy. But I fail to see the rationale as to why these threads need to be as long as those in the WC threads. There are way more fans of the WC than the OC; and by the way, I am fine with that. For example: I understand and accept why there are a hundred-thousand more blogs out there about the NY Yankees vs. the Boston Red Sox than the Toledo Mud Hens vs. the Durham Bulls.

DCI does not even respect or work to develop OC. hard for other to support something that the parent organization does not even support.

Please email this opinion to David Eddleman and Sue Kuehnhold at DCI; you're contention is that they do not respect or support the OC and I want you to put that opinion to a test.

Edited by Stu

As awesome as both of them and others working for DCI are,they are not DCI. If you feel DCI is doing a good job growing drum corps and and its fan base and is looking out for all corps equally that is you opinion. My point is that DCI should after 40 years be able to at least support one drum corps per state and have more than 2 divisions.and if a corps is on tour and runs into trouble they should have the finance to support that corps.I strongly feel that Open Class is an after thought. Dan or any others that work for DCI are in a tough spot they are working for their bosses and have no real power.

Their biggest advantage is also their worst enemy. What makes Open Class awesome is that there is a lot of room for placement-jump from year to year based on the inconsistent nature of Open Class recruiting. Thus, sustained hype for any corps lasts only as long as their group maintains a sustained, decent quality in performance and programming.

Personally, I get really excited when I see examples like Music City take off with recruiting so quickly.

• Like 2