Let's bring it for open class!

As awesome as both of them and others working for DCI are,they are not DCI. If you feel DCI is doing a good job growing drum corps and and its fan base and is looking out for all corps equally that is you opinion. My point is that DCI should after 40 years be able to at least support one drum corps per state and have more than 2 divisions.and if a corps is on tour and runs into trouble they should have the finance to support that corps.I strongly feel that Open Class is an after thought. Dan or any others that work for DCI are in a tough spot they are working for their bosses and have no real power.

DCI is supposed to be a fraternal collective in which corps should coexist for the benefit of the activity, that is true. And DCI could possibly do a better job at monitoring the coexistence of those corps. However, DCI is not responsible for the success of the Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, 7th Regiment; nor is DCI responsible for the demise of Forte, VK, Revo. All DCI does, and does it rather well, is provide a venue for these corps to compete.

DCI is supposed to be a fraternal collective in which corps should coexist for the benefit of the activity, that is true. And DCI could possibly do a better job at monitoring the coexistence of those corps. However, DCI is not responsible for the success of the Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, 7th Regiment; nor is DCI responsible for the demise of Forte, VK, Revo. All DCI does, and does it rather well, is provide a venue for these corps to compete.

And that is just not enough. after 40 years I am sorry just providing a venue is not enough. I feel they should have a real plan to help start and maintain corps.

• Like 1

I, too, love the Open Class; I attend the Michigan City OC Finals then go to see them at the Thursday Morning WC Championship prelims in Indy. But I fail to see the rationale as to why these threads need to be as long as those in the WC threads. There are way more fans of the WC than the OC; and by the way, I am fine with that. For example: I understand and accept why there are a hundred-thousand more blogs out there about the NY Yankees vs. the Boston Red Sox than the Toledo Mud Hens vs. the Durham Bulls.

What I'd like to see more in the open class forum is discussions along the lines of: BDB just needs to clean this or that to overtake OC... OC's this or that caption has been unbeatable all season... Fantastic showing for the guard in last night's show for [insert corps name here]

That type of thing. I'm not saying the threads need to go on and on and on. As a fan and DCPer I guess I just want more to read and get excited about as we head into finals week. Me thinks I want too much :(

... I feel they should have a real plan to help start and maintain corps.

It is the job of the individual corps Board of Directors to start and maintain their corps; and it is the job of DCI to provide a venue of competition for those corps which fit the criteria of involvement within DCI; period. No matter how you 'feel' it is therefore not the job of DCI to start and maintain corps.

Edited by Stu

And that is just not enough. after 40 years I am sorry just providing a venue is not enough. I feel they should have a real plan to help start and maintain corps.

I agree 100% with this post. DCI will have no corps to provide venues for if the starter organizations fail.

What I'd like to see more in the open class forum is discussions along the lines of: BDB just needs to clean this or that to overtake OC... OC's this or that caption has been unbeatable all season... Fantastic showing for the guard in last night's show for [insert corps name here]

That type of thing. I'm not saying the threads need to go on and on and on. As a fan and DCPer I guess I just want more to read and get excited about as we head into finals week. Me thinks I want too much :(

I contend that as a 'percentage' of fans there is just as much discussion in the Open Class threads as the World Class threads. It is just a matter of numbers that seems to bother you. And here is what I mean by percentage vs. numbers: If you have 100 people 10% yields a number of 10 people; if you have 10,000 people 10% yields a number of 1000 people. Of course 1000 people are going to be more active and discuss more than 10 people; but the percentage of those involved is the same. You just want more number people interested in the Open Class, and that is not going to happen.

... DCI will have no corps to provide venues for if the starter organizations fail.

Again, it is NOT the responsibility of DCI to build starter corps, but the responsibility of the starter corps Board of Directors!!!!!!!!

Again, it is NOT the responsibility of DCI to build starter corps, but the responsibility of the starter corps Board of Directors!!!!!!!!

Agree - have you ever attended the annual DCI meetings and sat in on the Open Class ones?

It is the job of the individual corps Board of Directors to start and maintain their corps; and it is the job of DCI to provide a venue of competition for those corps which fit the criteria of involvement within DCI; period. No matter how you 'feel' it is therefore not the job of DCI to start and maintain corps.

Agree, and that is why it is dying. with no organized activism or vision it will fade away