Crossmen Help

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one version...

Sept 19, 2006

http://www.txbands.c...?showtopic=1571

But there are many other stories out there.

hmm so there is no solid story of what happened yet?

Long story short, Crossmen were at risk (again) of folding, YEA takes control (Hop is Crossmen vet, and building his empire), A few YEA board members keep the corps alive, YEA looks to distance themselves (fold corps or get it on it's own), perfect opportunity arises to "sell" corps to a few guys from Texas that were looking to start one, in an off season window of a few weeks corps equipment trucks and corps are moved to San Antonio, Texas. The first camp of the following season in in Texas and the corps is truly independent again in a few seasons.

I can't help but look at the overall history of corps in South East PA and surrounding area. The Crossmen's "home turf" from the 70s to the 90s is now The Cadets home turf, and the Crossmen are thousands of miles away. I am sure it just happened that way, but if it was a master plan it couldn't have been executed much better. I can say it would be hard to argue the corps has been run much better than it is now. Here is to hoping they thrive in Texas.

YEA had their hands in a LOT of corps back about 10-12 yrs ago(? Could have been even before that). Besides Cadets and Crossmen, they were involved in Sunrisers in DCA, Magic of Orlando, Carolina Crown (yes, you read that correctly) and were rumored to have been in talks with BAC. IMO, in Hop's own mind, he was trying to establish the G7 even then, just by virtue of YEA controlling the majority of the voting corps and they would have been able to push through just about anything he wanted.

Talk about moving around, the Velvet Knights have been from Buena Park, Santa Ana and Anaheim. One year, after their VFW post in Buena Park ended their sponsorship, the corps was sponsored by a post in Iowa for the California State VFW show. So they were from Iowa, for a day.

Garry in Vegas

PS The current VK calls Pasadena home.

Garry, I also remember us being introduced from Orange County as well...

Did Jack have something to do w/ that being from Cedar Rapids?

Lyons, CO should get some sort of credit also.

Edited by bstar82

Prior to 91, they were from West Chester. They used to have a PO box there. 89 and 90 we practiced at the institution of the criminally insane just outside of West Chester. (yes, you read that right)

Wonder how close this is/was to where my brother in law got married (he and his wife are West Chester Univ grads). :rolleyes:

Interesting topic as running across this problem in checking out old scores. IIRC Delaware Co was part of the name we would hear in the late 70s but somehow West Chester was thrown around. Trying to remember where Crossmen would hold their Spring Concert during that time and might have been West Chester. We (Westshoremen) Buccaneers and Crossmen would perform at each others concerts during that time.