Blue Knights over Glassmen and Crossmen?

So...just got back a little while ago from a great weekend in Allentown...looking forward to tonight's TOC show :thumbup:

Let me first start out by saying I have no sentimental feelings towards any of the three corps listed below....and I have nothing against BK.

Last night I was quite surprised with the Blue Knights performance. The drumline was rock solid and guard seemed to be pretty together...but the brassline and marching were definitely not up to a BK standard. The order of appearance was Crossmen, Glassmen and then Blue Knights. I did not feel like BK did well at all (their dm is quoted as saying it was their best show of the season) compared to the other two corps.

Need some help sorting this one out...can some recap fanatics come to rescue..what am I missing?

• Like 1

So...just got back a little while ago from a great weekend in Allentown...looking forward to tonight's TOC show :thumbup:

Let me first start out by saying I have no sentimental feelings towards any of the three corps listed below....and I have nothing against BK.

Last night I was quite surprised with the Blue Knights performance. The drumline was rock solid and guard seemed to be pretty together...but the brassline and marching were definitely not up to a BK standard. The order of appearance was Crossmen, Glassmen and then Blue Knights. I did not feel like BK did well at all (their dm is quoted as saying it was their best show of the season) compared to the other two corps.

Need some help sorting this one out...can some recap fanatics come to rescue..what am I missing?

I was informed by my son last night that there was some changes made prior to the show. I don't know what they were but I suppose they might have had an effect.

Ummm BK is doing well... The corps above them are better and those below them aren't. The put together a very challenging program with a very young corps! I feel they're doing just fine and being .25 behind Spirit is proof enough

• Like 2

To me it looks like great Visual Effect scores, plus better consistency across captions than Crossmen. I definitely think BK's visual program is well designed and highly effective, so I have to agree with the judges in that caption. As for brass and visual proficiency, we have no clue what those judges are seeing and hearing, since they are on the field amongst the marchers.

Edited by skywhopper

I'm no help with this one.......... I've had very similar thoughts. I am however, also one of those that dont "get" BD.

Edited by JBarO
  • Like 2

Just look at the Recaps. Easy to see the breakdown.

I just really struggle with the electronics, the dancing, long periods of hornline silence...

I'm okay with the dancing, which I don't find unique to BK, and which in any case is going to continue to expand as corps look for ways to distinguish themselves visually through the years. ("Marching" is not mentioned on the judging sheets...)

On the limited amount of playing by the brassline, that does bother me, but I don't think it impacts the scores much if at all.

If I understand the judging rules correctly, brass members who use guard equipment are judged as part of the guard during the time they have guard equipment in their hands. So what about when their horns are on the ground and they are moving as guard usually moves?

Edited by skywhopper

Ok I'm a BK megafan, but are you guys seriously not seeing the challenge involved with BK on the field? The drill is insane... Outside of the top 6 tell me a corps with more field coverage and up tempo 180+ marching? If i wanted to pick on others id talk about Spirit hardly ever actually marching and playing... Go look, are they fantastic? Sure but they march then stop/play... March then stop/ play etc....As to the playing... They're playing just as much as anyone and have beaten both BStars and spirit in horns numerous times the past few weeks. They didn't last night, but they're all very similiar in quality... I'm not sure the question?? Is BK gonna be a finalist? I'm betting yes and likely either solidly 10th or 11th... Folks they're basically tied-.25 for tenth... So what's the question? Are they bad and being given a spot? NO!! BK has missed finals in heartbreaking fashion (2002) and there was no favoritism shown. Here's the fact- drum corps has it's vest 1-19 ever... Jersey Surf is bad arse!! Colts, Troop, Academy, GMen, XMen would make finals any other year... BK has a finalist product that they're performing at a finalist level!!! They're being well received and getting great crowd response! Even those saying they dance too much... Uhhh preshow.... They don't dance or do visuals anymore than anyone else for their show! Sorry if some people on this board don't like BK but the audience does and they're likely solidly in for Saturday!

Wes P

• Like 6

There's plenty of demand in their show, but I don't think they're achieving at the level of Spirit or Crossmen. To say that this hornline plays just as much as the others is a little silly IMHO. They have nowhere near the quality of sound that Spirit or Crossmen do, which might have something to do with that whole demand thing...but it doesn't matter how hard the show is if they can't perform it very well.

Ok I'm a BK megafan, but are you guys seriously not seeing the challenge involved with BK on the field? The drill is insane... Outside of the top 6 tell me a corps with more field coverage and up tempo 180+ marching? If i wanted to pick on others id talk about Spirit hardly ever actually marching and playing... Go look, are they fantastic? Sure but they march then stop/play... March then stop/ play etc....As to the playing... They're playing just as much as anyone and have beaten both BStars and spirit in horns numerous times the past few weeks. They didn't last night, but they're all very similiar in quality... I'm not sure the question?? Is BK gonna be a finalist? I'm betting yes and likely either solidly 10th or 11th... Folks they're basically tied-.25 for tenth... So what's the question? Are they bad and being given a spot? NO!! BK has missed finals in heartbreaking fashion (2002) and there was no favoritism shown. Here's the fact- drum corps has it's vest 1-19 ever... Jersey Surf is bad arse!! Colts, Troop, Academy, GMen, XMen would make finals any other year... BK has a finalist product that they're performing at a finalist level!!! They're being well received and getting great crowd response! Even those saying they dance too much... Uhhh preshow.... They don't dance or do visuals anymore than anyone else for their show! Sorry if some people on this board don't like BK but the audience does and they're likely solidly in for Saturday!

Wes P

• Like 4