Blue Knights over Glassmen and Crossmen?

Umm. No and No. Great that you support your favorite corps so much. A top 5 show??? Not close. Bottom of top 12 at best and probably 14th when all the finals dust clears and we look back more objectively. Dance demand higher than some. Risky concept beyond most. Dirtier than many. individual challenge, less than most top 15.

9.1 in vis analysis rep in last show... Tied Bluecoats with same caption.... Bluecoats a little higher than 15? Nahh Bluecoats won't make finals:) hahaha. Also best Boston in vis caption and total GE... BAC gonna be 15th? Nah they'll miss finals too:) hahaha 1.1 behind BAC at last show, me thinks the judges might have different opinion bout their demand.

• Like 1

9.1 in vis analysis rep in last show... Tied Bluecoats with same caption.... Bluecoats a little higher than 15? Nahh Bluecoats won't make finals:) hahaha. Also best Boston in vis caption and total GE... BAC gonna be 15th? Nah they'll miss finals too:) hahaha 1.1 behind BAC at last show, me thinks the judges might have different opinion bout their demand.

If you're going to hang your hat on that ONE show to prove their ranking, then you need to admit that they got a gift at Allentown. The last section of their show was "I just learned this today" dirty, visually; which is OK if it was, but I'd need confirmation that. However, I don't feel that they were judged as such. Maybe the judges were watching the birds LOL

• Like 2

Umm. No and No. Great that you support your favorite corps so much. A top 5 show??? Not close. Bottom of top 12 at best and probably 14th when all the finals dust clears and we look back more objectively. Dance demand higher than some. Risky concept beyond most. Dirtier than many. individual challenge, less than most top 15.

If anything, BK's show is ahead of it's time, as Michael Cesario says. (http://www.dci.org/n...69-f59534b36690 at 10:00 mark)

Now, I agree that BK can't take this show to the top 5, but they are making a darned good effort to get it as high as they can...and their scores over the past few of weeks have proven this.

You might visit this page http://www.bknights....s/standings.asp for a graphical representation of their scores.

BK began to pull away from Crossmen in the middle of July and haven't looked back (head to head matchups: http://www.bknights.org/bknights.org/scores/head2head.asp?y=2012&C1=2&C2=9&caption=TOTAL&SubmitBtn=GO). The Glassmen, alas, has never really been close (head to head matchups: http://www.bknights....AL&SubmitBtn=GO).

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 2

If you're going to hang your hat on that ONE show to prove their ranking, then you need to admit that they got a gift at Allentown. The last section of their show was "I just learned this today" dirty, visually; which is OK if it was, but I'd need confirmation that. However, I don't feel that they were judged as such. Maybe the judges were watching the birds LOL

Ok.. How about the fact that they've been in 11th since the Texas Tour..... That's 21 plus days and a ton o shows.I'm not hanging my hat on one show, bit since it's the final regular show of the season heading towards Finals Week it does show continued upward movement which has been the norm. A Gift? Ok man, yeah BK shouldn't have been allowed to compete. They just are a terrible drum corps that shouldn't even bother showing up! Their hard working hall of fame staff and diligent young people have skirted by these past 2 months by luck and gifts being given to them. The funnel cake maker shouldve beaten BK... He got robbed and BK was lucky he ran out of sugar.... Ridiculous enough?

The Blue Knights Drum and Bugle corps deserves better than this thread!! They've had an amazing work ethic from the get go and have put together a great product that took all season to clean! Because some peoples fav corps are not beating them it has caused an outrage! BK is a finalist caliber corps because their staff and students have made them into one. No offense is meant to any corps who are so close to making finals, but BK is not likely to drop. They're getting no gifts or benefits of the doubts, they're performing at a finalist level. I can make any statement about numbers or things about the design if this show that makes it worthy, but I don't have to. I raise my eyebrows at the comments saying they've somehow not been dealt with fairly and should be in 15th or lower. It's been a long hard working season for these great corps out there this summer and at this point they've all earned their placement... Whether good or bad or where we want them to be. I'm a huge BK fan but I'm also a drum corps fan! I want to see all corps reach and max out their potential! I want to see Xmen push the last little bit and make finals... Crown win the world title.... SCV make top 3... Boston finish in 7th.... But some or none of those things will happen. If not, I'll applaud and watch and enjoy each show! Don't students, kids deserve that? To be applauded and not torn down as if their work was meaningless because we have an opinion.... GO BK GET ALIEN DURING FINALS WEEK BABY!!! Good luck to all drum corps this week and may they all have safe travels home again:)

Wes Perkins

• Like 2

My son...a mello player...would probably say that their portion of the closer would offset any 1-2 minute portion of either Glassmen's or Crossmen's mello book.

I agree BK has a tough brass book, and they also have some intense visual demand. Very challenging show, and they are executing really well. Big improvements over the beginning of the year, when I could see the visual potential but felt they weren't clicking. Can't wait to see the finals performance in high-cam on the Blu-ray! :thumbup:

What is it about BK's show design that is so strong? Especially in comparison to the other corps that are 10-14?

The visuals are meaningful in and of themselves, *throughout* the show. There's a story there that the entire corps is telling. There's also a coherent style to the drill and movement throughout, which is challenging but cleanly executed. They work in all the major musical themes from the source music well, and it flows naturally through the visual design. I think from 9-15, BK and Academy have the best designs.

• Like 2

The visuals are meaningful in and of themselves, *throughout* the show. There's a story there that the entire corps is telling. There's also a coherent style to the drill and movement throughout, which is challenging but cleanly executed. They work in all the major musical themes from the source music well, and it flows naturally through the visual design. I think from 9-15, BK and Academy have the best designs.

...and it was a treat to watch them go off one after the other at Atlanta, duya think Mr. Stravinsky would have liked it?! Heh, I know *I* did, having seen both groups at the beginning of the season and loving both books.

I also see more field coverage and higher tempo marching and playing. Much as I liked BKs show in 2010 and 2011 they had much lower overall tempos for the show. This season as a whole BK has more coverage and faster tempo. Individual demand is also been increased as well. The Mello section is marching some crazy drill as is the rest of the hornline. It's subtle at times but the 45 degree drill and blind backwards moving drill that folds into wrapping lines is another big challenge.... These are things that to me make BK unique and have tough/creative design...

Wes P

I also see more field coverage and higher tempo marching and playing. Much as I liked BKs show in 2010 and 2011 they had much lower overall tempos for the show. This season as a whole BK has more coverage and faster tempo. Individual demand is also been increased as well. The Mello section is marching some crazy drill as is the rest of the hornline. It's subtle at times but the 45 degree drill and blind backwards moving drill that folds into wrapping lines is another big challenge.... These are things that to me make BK unique and have tough/creative design...

Wes P

Except the last 2 years they were much more entertaining, played more, and didn't prance as much. They also scored better - last year anyway.

• Like 1

Except the last 2 years they were much more entertaining, played more, and didn't prance as much. They also scored better - last year anyway.

Ok..... Different year different membership, lots o new young talent and rook outs! Design is still way more challenging this season. No offense to BK 2010 and 2011... Very proud of my kiddos and the corps from those years. BK not necessarily moving up this year cause Madison, Boston and Spirit all great much improved this season! Any finalist year is a good one esp with talent in corps 1-19 this season. Think I'm getting u don't care for this BK show... To each their own:)

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp