Allen TX's new megastadium complete

Not to sound snooty, but boy am I glad I live in a part of the country where no one except the immediate family members could POSSIBLY be that interested in watching high school anything.

Edited by mobrien

Not to sound snooty, but boy am I glad I live in a part of the country where no one except the immediate family members could POSSIBLY be that interested in watching high school anything.

Well, when the Allen HS band has around 700 members, that's a lot of family members. :smile:

Austin has three district stadiums - Nelson, Burger and House Park - which 10 high schools share. Each seat about 12k-ish.

Mike

And there's also several in the surrounding suburbs like Round Rock, Westlake and others that hsve the same capacity.

Please, oh please, oh please Lake Highlands High School, move your DCI show to Allen and share the proceeds. The fans have suffered enough in that tight, cramped stadium with no parking.

I learned in all my years in going to Lake Highlands is to get there early. Unless DCI sanctions another event in the DFW area, I seriously doubt Lake Highlands HS is going to move the show to Allen. I will say the CH Collins Complex in Denton (Where DCI Denton is held) is nice but the parking lot is a pain in the you know what to get out of.

The reality in TX is that schools are laying off teachers, increasing class sizes and slashing budgets (including music dept budgets). This is the case throughout the state. These stadiums are not funded via school district budgets. For some reason, those living in these cities are glad to fund special bond elections to build stadiums and boost their own egos, but not willing to accept the fact that school funding and the education of their kids might be a little more important.

TX (I've lived here 37 years and raised two kids here and my wife is a 20+ year teacher in the system in TX) is pretty much in the bottom 10 in achievement across the board vs the rest of the country, but our stadiums look great! (sorry for the rant...)

Been out in SW Utah for almost two years and one local old timers opinion is that from TX westward, there is more interest in sports than academics.

Edited by Ghost

And there's also several in the surrounding suburbs like Round Rock, Westlake and others that hsve the same capacity.

True, but they don't serve Austin HS's. The AISD schools "home" stadiums are rotated around the three in town. Of those, I actually like House Park the best. There's literally no parking at the stadium, which makes visiting for events interesting, but there's also no track, so you're right on top of the field. And it was built in 1939, so you really do feel like you're taking your life into your hands every time you're there. It's an adventure. :smile:

Mike

I don't know what district or area you're in, but our band program has done nothing but grow since we started. We started with 90 in 2010 and are marching 150+ this year. We'll be over 200 next year because our jr. high music program has 400+ students (making up 4 concert bands) in it. The school and the admin here are fantastic! I've never been around an administration that supports the arts they way they do here.

Football team sucks eh?