Allentown

No need to go into detailed breakdowns of what every show is, there's a zillion threads for those.

First a shout out to Mike Boo...good to see you!

Also a huge thank you to Mike MacIntosh from the cavalier for his awesome presentation on electronics at the TOB/NJA clinic yesterday. Very eye opening and helpful for judges and teachers alike.

Next...the Pineville gang....yes, we lost our Mayor. But we did tailgate the way we always did...by having fun, catching up, and trading war stories yet again.

The corps:

Pioneer....obvious balance issues with percussion to brass size issues. i appreciate the drum staff trying to help out by tuning lower, however they went so low you couldnt tell if it was the head or the hands creating the fuzz. One of the better show ideas, but the horses just aren't there. tons of feet issues, even this late in the season. I'd love to see this corps succeed, but changes have to happen administratively.

Mandarins....I liked this show. Crowd got into the drum break. However the brass never went above "almost forte" and because of that, no impact was truly impactful. Plus during the big scene up on the pyramid, the "chief" is hidden by the corps...unless you sit in section 600, you can't see him well

Colts....I wonder if the humidity got to the kids...then they hit the closer. it really came across that it was the only tune they connected to. serious performance issues in all sections.

Troopers.....This show really did nothing for me. There is talent there, but the design doesn't truly let it shine. Allentown has long been friendly to our Casper friends, but last night, there was a lot of head scratching.

Pacific Crest....easily the best I have ever seen them. the show works, you can get the concept without layers and layers of narration explaining it to you. the performance levels are up past any prior versions, and a special shout out to the guys on percussion staff I know...your work and dedication is paying off.

Spirit...having seen them rehearse on Wednesday, I knew the show well...and it's starting to deliver. The kids are really starting to sell it, and design ideas are becoming more readable. Serious tasty grooves in the percussion book, you have to know where to find them. Really, I'd have had the score at least a point higher in effect alone

Bluecoats.....I like the show, they play well, the move well. But....it feels flat on emotion. Again, could be the humidity, but even online it just seems like there's a level of emotion just not coming thru.

Phantom....no lack of emotion here! They threw down and the crowd responded....only mid show real standing O of the night. Percussion not nearly as bad as some would say ( including the scores) brass has power and beauty, guard is stunning, and the ending, while similar to last year, works well.

Crown. The brass is incredible. That the percussion section won still has me stunned. However, as much as I like it, I felt everything after the big Fanfare moment didn't rise to the level of the Fanfare moment. Solid corps, trying a lot visually...maybe too much. it'd be cool to see them get #1, but I'm just not sure this year will be it.

BD....the narration live is worse than online. covers up some musical moments, and in others, it makes the music sound muddy. The kids can play and move, but I do feel the jacket change actually distracts you from what should be the visual focus at those moments. Should they have won? Yes, but performer numbers really should be tied with book if not over book. Sorry BD fans...I looked closely. I don't see any brass moments with musical demand played on the move. I get the concept, but I read DCP. Not everyone around me reads DCP, and they didn't get it.

Saturday:

Cadets 2...I wanted to see you from my seat, but unfortunately the gas grill took forever to get going in Pineville, and I chose food first. You did look good from the side.

Cascades....this is a good little show. However, it seems like the corps got off to a really late start and have a lot of catching up to do.

Jersey Surf: Best crowd reaction of the weekend. In fact try to argue with me on it and I'll laugh at you. The best jersey Surf performance I have ever seen. yeah I'm biased...i know Jacobs, I know staff, I know admin, I know souvie people. The show is good. the tribute to Bayonne is great, the uniforms are great, and the twist on classic arrangements is great. The 2nd half, with LMFAO etc is a gas! Some of the best usage in electronics from a corps that may get 18th place. Felt the score should have been higher not because of the fun, but because of the talent.

Academy....knew the score would be low as we sat there waiting for the brass to come up the hill. and waited a little more. then they came on. Interesting show, but at times it seems the corps is trying too hard to be what they aren't. I appreciate challenging the kids with book, but at some point, you have to let them achieve.

Glassmen....good show, but it takes a while to get going. the glass ideas work, but it seems they could be more eye catching....maybe it's because you went on under the sun

Crossmen.....yes, the show does seem like Songs for Planet Earth part 4. And I'm ok with that. still visual issues, and some surprising musical issues. maybe an off night. But it was nice to again see Allentown ready to embrace the former home area team, and the show is a step up from last year. It may not make it, but they are in the conversation again, and I'm ok with that.

Blue Stars...I musically loved the show. Guard however had several big tosses land somewhere other than their hands, and the stuff on the "pier" was actually very distracting.

BK....definitely getting cleaner, but the concept is still tough to grasp, and the whole insert of the jetson stuff is kinda out there. definitely the loudest guard attireof the weekend.

Madison.....I like it, but really, i guess I am just over Malaga and Malaguena, especially how it transitions out of pictures. percussion huge improvement over last year, and the company front was definitely great, especially the nod to 95 with the guard soloist out there with his jacket.

Boston....Love this show. Honestly thought it beat Cavies. solid in all areas, some nice risks taken, the kids really perform well.

Cavies...haven gotten more insight to the show during the day, I appreciate it more now, but still it's out there. yes the visual is an issue...performance as well as design. percussion is outstanding

SCV....to quote Daniel Bryan "Yes! Yes! YES!" Planets music works so well, and of course the push with Music of the night is nice...but I think it needs just a bit more. Percussion is phenomenal...not sure how anyone is beating that. Ending is outstanding visually.

Cadets...Ya gotta like the show. it won't win, but they have tweaked it a lot. I like many think the Jingle bell jam is too reserved and maybe a touch too short. brass and percussion play well, and some cool visual ideas, tho it seems like the ramps/slides/whatever they are are a distraction at times. the whole set up to the ending thru the end is classic Cadets.

Bridgemen...I have been a critic the last few years. Still a few performance issues, but a step up. biggest peeve... I am glad CWS is back, and I know the guard is really small, but half assing the battle scene does not help get the point across. it's the Civil War....you shouldn't smile

last thoughts...with I had seen the 82 Crossmen snareline reunion. thank God for Youtube.

and to that certain someone who won't be finishing tour, you made the right choice. the real world is more important than drum corps

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

Thanks for the review!

oh one more thing.

for the 2nd year in a row, the sound of corps warming up was extremely distracting. And if you do the math on the clock and listen to the direction the sound came from, it was both in the park as well as from a rehearsal site a few blocks away

last thoughts...with I had seen the 82 Crossmen snareline reunion. thank God for Youtube.

how is it listed, Jeff??? I can't find it

Edited by George82

how is it listed, Jeff??? I can't find it

One comment on Blue Devils. I do not understand how they are getting the visual scores that they are receiving. They seem to be doing less marching between formations. It is more like staging of the musical moments rather than a logical flow. It does not in my eye even come close to what SCV or Cadets are doing.

They are the BD's. Everything they do is art. (as per DCI).

• 3 weeks later...

oh one more thing.

for the 2nd year in a row, the sound of corps warming up was extremely distracting. And if you do the math on the clock and listen to the direction the sound came from, it was both in the park as well as from a rehearsal site a few blocks away

There is plenty of room away from the stadium that no one is using... I don't get it. And the guards need to be a lot quieter if they are going to warm-up that close to the stadium.....

• Like 1