Live Streaming Finals

I agree, and I bet they come around and try one of your ideas soon--other than the cheaper ticket prices idea. :cool: They won't make live-streaming finals cheap, though. Somebody on DCP said it should be $9.95 to make it easier to attract new fans. Ain't no way they'll agree to that.

I think, honestly, DCI would be crazy to live stream finals for less than $50ish

Exactly: I'm with you here. I think DCI is hesitant to mess with their cash cow formula, and their hesitation is quite possibly LOSING money for them: in a time when eliminating a revenue stream is not prudent.

Atlanta had a live feed and set an attendance record.

what's that tell you?

• Like 1

I don't have any "proof" of this, but I seem to remember that there were more people coming to DCI Finals week when Finals night was broadcast live on PBS.

Ergo, the simple argument of not streaming DCI Finals night because of less people attending doesn't hold water. There are many, MANY other factors involved (i.e., economy; not wanting to go to Indy year after year; indoor stadium with crappy sound; poor marketing on DCI's part; bad airline connections from Indy; other things to do in life, etc.) that have driven down fan attendance since 1972.

i can agree with a lot of this

One more thing to add to this:

Think of all the people NOT living in the US that would love the opportunity to watch finals live. I can guarantee that there would be hundreds of people in Europe who would pay good money to watch finals live!

so, how much money do you think DCI lost out on by now showing finals this year?

I mean, I would pay $50 for a live finals stream. I think that is more than the cheapest ticket into the real show? But it's a deal, when it cost hundreds to get to indy, and if I want to stay a couple days we are getting into the thousands...

The semis feed looked really good on the big screen, and sounded great. A little higher quality video so that it doesn't get too screwy on the big screen, and I'll fork over some money no question. Even with the current quality it's worth the money. It's really is. Because the only way I'm getting there is if I volunteer with a corps and get in for free. Which all of a sudden corps don't need volunteers the last two weeks of tour... lol and I can't afford to take off of work that long right now.

A finals stream would have made my weekend.

I think, honestly, DCI would be crazy to live stream finals for less than $50ish

No. Defeats the purpose. I know the way some want to price is "if the avg person pays $300 to attend, $50 is a steal!" Except the streaming show isn't nearly the same experience you'd get live. Remember the goal of the Finals stream is about promoting the greatness of our activity, not entertaining a closed group of a few thousand super fans.

Remember the goal of the Finals stream is about promoting the greatness of our activity, not entertaining a closed group of a few thousand super fans.

I think the goal is $$$ for DCI. I think the right place to promote the activity is in local areas, getting people to come to live shows, where they can be truly amazed. No one will sit through four hours of drum corps shows streamed over the Internet except existing drum corps fans. You can make those fans by getting them to buy a $10 ticket to a local six-corps show where they will realize just how powerful the performances are--something that just doesn't come across on video.

I think the goal is $$$ for DCI. I think the right place to promote the activity is in local areas, getting people to come to live shows, where they can be truly amazed. No one will sit through four hours of drum corps shows streamed over the Internet except existing drum corps fans. You can make those fans by getting them to buy a $10 ticket to a local six-corps show where they will realize just how powerful the performances are--something that just doesn't come across on video.

Very true, in the end, it IS about money, and your point regarding cheaper local shows is definitely true. But, as for streaming finals, DCI is losing out on willing customers that can't make the financial commitment to attend finals. For me, and I'm sure many others, the roughly $1000 commitment to get my butt in a seat for finals takes me out of the running for the foreseeable future, but I'd be glad to pay for a live stream, as would many others.

This could be very easily incorporated into the FN system.

Buy the dvd/bluray, get the live stream and VOD's of finals

Have a regular FN subscription without a dvd purchase. Get a live stream only of finals for an additional fee. I'd do it every time. I really don't think attendance will be affected by offering this option. As has been stated before, Atlanta proved that as fact.

I don't get it. Why are they still pushing DVD sales? How long before this antiquated business practice stops? Why not add a pay per view link for finals, up the base cost of the FN subscription, and leave the media packages out of it entirely. People still intent on storing media will still have that opportunity. Instead they're taunting me with VOD links for finals, when semis was promised the same day to regular subscribers. I don't buy the packages that would have afforded me access to those VOD links simply because I have no desire to STORE physical media when I have 40 years of performances I can stream whenever I want. While I'm gritchin and moaning about it I'll also rant that there are no audio only links for 2011 still.

I don't think a live feed of finals will hurt finals attendance. I'd personally much rather go to finals than watch it streamed, but there's no way I can take time off of work in August. It just doesn't happen.