Live Streaming Finals

YES...Exactly! Look at Atlanta, the turnout for a regional was comparable to Finals. Remember the Rose Bowl? I know logistically it's easier to set the schedule each year to end at Indy, but it's not helping the activity grow in popularity having finals in the same place every year.

No, exactly wrong. The benefits of having finals in Indy far outweigh the "exposure" that roving finals supposedly provide.

DCI has been in Indy, now, for 4 years; the activity has been losing exposure and fans for nearly every year that DCI moved finals around the country.

How does one reconcile that fact?

• Like 2

I realize that DCI is trying to get people into the stadium... trust me, I'd love to be there. However, the expenses involved, as some have mentioned, are borderline too much. I'm a Live subscriber on Fan Network, so I never have to get the PPV for each webcast. I believe they're $29.95 each, although correct me if I'm wrong. I would be more than willing to pay $50-$80 for a finals night webcast. I think DCI needs to look into some more outlets for finals in the coming years, especially with economy the way it is. It's kind of a slap in the face that you have to get your results and commentary from blogs, Twitter, and friends who are there, since there it no other way to see it for yourself.

Ticket prices are a bit high (bit = too). The best seats are not available to the general public (the exclusivity is unacceptable) and the travel costs are to cost prohibitive for some these days. I am luck, the wife lets me go 'cause we live 3+ hours from INdy. I cant imagine I could go every year if I still lived in Reno. The best option, and best quality would be to charge a fair amount and stream it at the movie theatre's via Fathom Events (just like Prelims). What would be a fair cost? $50-$75 and get Rondo & DeLucia Commentary maybe?

Not to pile on, because I agree with the other posters who responded to this, Tony, but I just want to point out that pricing the best seats significantly lower than DCI sells for them now (including Friends of DCI and corps booster club donations/fees) would not make those seats easier for you to get. If the original seller prices the seats lower than they need to in order to sell them out (and you'll notice that the best seats do sell out in Indy), they take money off their table and put it in the hands of ticket scalpers. In other words, say they charged $40. You still wouldn't get those seats at that price. (OK, you might get them, but the odds would be heavily stacked against you, because scalpers would more aggressively compete for the tickets to resell.) It took the rock stars a while to figure out that, too, but they eventually did. They now use VIP seating to sell first-20 rows at premium prices. And it works. The marketplace sets the price no matter how you try to regulate it. The seats are worth what somebody's willing to pay.

Edited by Peel Paint

No, exactly wrong. The benefits of having finals in Indy far outweigh the "exposure" that roving finals supposedly provide.

DCI has been in Indy, now, for 4 years; the activity has been losing exposure and fans for nearly every year that DCI moved finals around the country.

How does one reconcile that fact?

DCP: Where the facts never get in the way of a good rant, or someone's itchy red-negative finger.

Jeesh.

• Like 1

The NFL and other organized sports have been dealing with this issue for decades. I think there is enough data to assume that there might be an impact to ticket sales if the event was streamed live....I mean, that's kind of a Duh!

So...consider a threshold for ticket sales and then "blackout" if they don't reach it. Otherwise, make a professional production out of it, charge a premium and let the world in. BTW, most of us DCPers don't recognize the wide interest in DCI internationally (afterall....DCI), so a well produced live feed COULD have enormous impact on fan base everyway. The competive component of this activity is key... and a live feed of finals is really the only way that DCI can profit from that component. Also, DVD has a very different audience and my sense is that live feed would not hurt those sales. In any case, it's worth trying instead of making the classic error of strangling access to the activity, assuming that's the only way to max profits.

Oh.....one last thing.....MOVE FINALS AROUND ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!!!!!!

Hell has frozen completely over.

Plan and I agree on two things in this world

But WGI shows it live and it can't affect their DVD or ticket sales. And what about those of us who are not in the US?

Dayton is packed every year. Doesn't hurt them and they do not charge any extra for fan network subscirbers

DCP: Where the facts never get in the way of a good rant, or someone's itchy red-negative finger.

Jeesh.

get over the red green thing man. I should be red to Howdy levels, and I'm green 2000+ ( i just looked for laughs)

Agreed. Would it really cut that much into DVD sales?

No, DCI is bundling a lot of their offerings anyway.

No, but it would cut into attendance and ticket sales.

Says who?

There is no evidence either way. If I want to go to finals week, I'll go. If I want to watch finals, I'd be able to watch the live stream...

The competive component of this activity is key... and a live feed of finals is really the only way that DCI can profit from that component.

Are you suggesting that International (and other) fans WON'T pony up if DCI is an entertainment/exhibition only production? (/sarcasm)

Hell's not freezing over but it's getting pretty cold down there, Dada.

:tongue: