Open the roof

Interesting. The roof is open in Indy for the Colts game. And the field looks like absolute crap with all the funky shadows. That would have been terrible for afternoon corps at prelims and semis.

From a photographer's standpoint, there would be some killer dramatic lighting on some of the photos, ala Cowboys Stadium.

• 6 years later...
On 8/7/2012 at 1:22 PM, Martin I. Zing said:

Time to mix a little "glass half full" with a little "glass half empty" thinking . . . AND throw in some of my trademark® cynicism, sarcasm and humor . . .

I think you're all too concerned with the audio aspect of an open-roofed LOS. I think they keep it closed to guard our sense of smell. Have you ever actually been to Indiana? :rolleyes:

Actually, I wouldn't worry about FINALS being staged indoors forever. I think we can assume work is underway somewhere to move them to the next great stadium being planned as we sleep. It will make LOS look and feel like wooden bleachers. The roof will open on command and the field will be drained and air-conditioning will crank on in a matter of seconds and curtains will drop from the sky. Count on it. It will all cost in excess of a BILLION dollars and it is going to be ready in 5 or 6 years in one of Drum Corps' favorite cities ---Minneapolis; rhymes with Indianapolis, but much better.

Meanwhile, of greater importance is the question of how to grow the fan base. Is the "business" really booming because the costs certainly are? What can be done to insure that not only are more people introduced to our passion but that they become interested enough to come back and bring friends with them? The only way to do this is to foster an emotional connection like each of us already has. This is a much bigger challenge than figuring out how to open the roof.

If everyone is so hellbent on keeping it a COMPETITION, then I think we have to figure out how to get the audience in the stands AND those watching in theaters or at home on pay-per-view to play a role in voting for the winners via Smart phones, i-Pads® or similar devices and greatly reduce the part played by 6 to 10 live judges. This will force the activity to become more ENTERTAINING to a wider audience without losing most of the traditional values that many of us consider important. And any DVD and post-event revenue is considered pocket or chump change to be used to fuel the following season start-up.

But the good news, in the end, is that I see the day when supersop will be sitting under the stars on the 50-yard line at the Finals, cryin' like a baby. :thumbup:

7 years and counting

• Confused 1

On 8/7/2012 at 5:08 AM, supersop said:

Off the record .. from a high up source ....

With ticket sales for finals surging ... regionals being packed ... a current commitment with Indianapolis that is working wonders for the DCI corporate end of things ... look forward to LOS's contract being extended.

I think everyone loved 08 at IU .......... but don't expect to see that or anything like it for a very very very long time.

Also, don't get your hopes up about the roof. August in Indy is always bad for 2 things ...... Lightening and HEAT. Both are causes to keep it closed. Unless an ice age pops up .. that roof will never be opened.

HENCE .. I doubt I'll ever see a finals live again :thumbdown:

I see you are puzzled by my previous response..... they were replying to this!  Hope it helps....

NO VENUE CHANGE,  EXTENDED CONTRACT,  NO OPEN ROOF.   as predicted.....

• Confused 1

On 8/6/2012 at 4:43 PM, garfield said:

LOL.

Last year they tried the "Thursday is the only shot" route; I can see them trying that again.

Just so long as they don’t miss their shot...

28 minutes ago, supersop said:

Why not?   It's relevant

Because you answered it in your first post...this topic is 7 years old. 

Also, if they haven't done it in 10 years, I don't think year 11 is going to be the year they do it.

• Haha 1