Open the roof

Kind of "huh" funny how when they moved to Lucas Oil, one of the selling points to soothe everyone mad about the dome was that the roof could be opened. Now, not only does DCI have no intention of ever doing so, everyone seems to argue that it doesn't *need* to be open.

Times, how do they change.

Mike

that it stays closed keeps me away

So make the whole season indoors because it rains sometimes??

guess so

Or... Just have finals on the west coast... No storms here. Honestly I never understood why WGI and DCI finals are in areas where the weather is terrible.

well, Dayton in April usually isn't bad

Yeah, it was freakin freezing cold and raining most of the weekend last year for percussion.

oh i forgot about this year.

well, at least the show isn't supposed to be held indoors.

and hey they can balance the sound there, unlike DCI

1) I don't think anyone is suggesting that (although I get it's popular to overreact in a hyperbolic manner in order to try to get a point across)

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!!

Of course no one is suggesting that the whole season be indoors because sometimes it rains. However, the sound issues in LOS are pretty well-documented (I've been there every year for Finals myself, including the soon-to-be this year's event as well), and the real question is if the roof has to stay closed for a myriad of reasons, is LOS/DCI doing enough to improve the sound quality. $125 for a seat (less than that and the sound issues get even more magnified) - that's an awful lot of money for muffled sound, when the quality of the sound was much better in prior years elsewhere.

Edited by Quad Aces

Or... Just have finals on the west coast... No storms here. Honestly I never understood why WGI and DCI finals are in areas where the weather is terrible.

SoCal would be the place to do it outdoors and be 99% confident it would go off on schedule. The main reason they don't is money. DCI has financial ties to Indy now and is committed to making it work there. The added expense of schlepping every midwest and east coast corps over the Rockies twice each August with very few paid performance opportunities per mile west of the Mississippi River would be another important factor that would have some of them voting no. Yeah we all know the west coast corps have to do it every year and somehow make it work. It would still be a factor for some midwest and east corps that would be opposed.

This is the fourth year we're going to be in Indianapolis, and this year has the first forecast for a DCI competition night that might... just might... give DCI and Lucas Oil Stadium an opening to consider opening the roof… only for Saturday. I always thought that what they had to have was a cold front passing through Indianapolis one to two days before the show. That's a rare event in the second weekend of August in Indianapolis, but it is what is supposed to happen this year.

Right now, two days out, there's still a 20% chance of rain in the forecast for Saturday night. That's common two days out. If that remains at 20%, of course the roof will stay closed, but if that chance drops to 0% for Saturday night and the if the forecast remains for low winds (essential to avoid backdrop curtain issues), low humidity, and reasonable summer temperatures… they might just be able to do it. I have no idea if it's even on the table. I'm just saying that Saturday could be their first good chance in four years if they wanted to try it.

I don't think it's going to make much difference if they do, quite frankly. Opening the roof will produce a small improvement in sound, I believe, but not much. The problem is not that small area of the roof that can be opened. The problem that causes most of the indoor reverb is the superstructure above the upper deck that cannot be opened except with a very significant amount of ordnance.