Open the roof

Right now, two days out, there's still a 20% chance of rain in the forecast for Saturday night. That's common two days out. If that remains at 20%, of course the roof will stay closed, but if that chance drops to 0% for Saturday night and the if the forecast remains for low winds (essential to avoid backdrop curtain issues), low humidity, and reasonable summer temperatures… they might just be able to do it. I have no idea if it's even on the table. I'm just saying that Saturday could be their first good chance in four years if they wanted to try it.

Anybody remember when they were going to do a trial run? Was that last year or 2010? Regardless, the directors did NOT want the first over open-roof trial run to be finals. They wanted to trial earlier in the week, in case the impact was significant. There was concern might affect their performance/results, and they could adjust accordingly for finals (if feasible to open for finals).

So I would not expect them to just pop it open on Saturday, no matter how ideal the conditions end up.

Anybody remember when they were going to do a trial run? Was that last year or 2010? Regardless, the directors did NOT want the first over open-roof trial run to be finals. They wanted to trial earlier in the week, in case the impact was significant. There was concern might affect their performance/results, and they could adjust accordingly for finals (if feasible to open for finals).

So I would not expect them to just pop it open on Saturday, no matter how ideal the conditions end up.

Yes, they were going to do it on a Thursday I think in 2010, but the weather wasn't ideal and it was scrapped. Who knows what their thinking is in 2012? It may be: no way no how we're done trying even if the weather is perfect. And if they've ruled out ever trying it for the first time on a Saturday, it won't happen in 2012 either for sure. Apart from the judging, they may be worried that corps that have set their electronics amplification to what was heard earlier in the week would be thrown out of whack. Of course the audience size changes each night anyway and that may have considerable impact on how the amps should be set.

Again I truly think the impact of opening the roof would be minimal on the sound quality. There was somebody who works professionally in acoustics/sound engineering/sound recording who said the same thing here back when the stadium was built: that section of roof that opens is not what causes the poor sound quality generally and opening it will not give substantial improvement for it. Unfortunately.

Edited by Peel Paint

it's never going to open. we're stuck with lousy sound for a musical activityfor finals til it moves, which probably won't happen. this is thebest thing for Allentown ticket sales ever

• Like 1

The worst thing that could happen is to lose the consistancy. Finals should always ve in a closed stadium. They fixed a lot of the sound issues from the first year. Now its fine. The conditions in the stadium are as ideal as possible. No wind no possibility of rain delay same conditions prelims, semis, and finals. Just because a stadium is open doesnt mean its better. The sound here ismuch better than NJ.

The worst thing that could happen is to lose the consistancy. Finals should always ve in a closed stadium. They fixed a lot of the sound issues from the first year. Now its fine. The conditions in the stadium are as ideal as possible. No wind no possibility of rain delay same conditions prelims, semis, and finals. Just because a stadium is open doesnt mean its better. The sound here ismuch better than NJ.

it did get better from 09-10, but ut's not the ideal sound unless you sit at the top of 100 level between the 40's or that same zone in the 200's

This is the fourth year we're going to be in Indianapolis, and this year has the first forecast for a DCI competition night that might... just might... give DCI and Lucas Oil Stadium an opening to consider opening the roof… only for Saturday. I always thought that what they had to have was a cold front passing through Indianapolis one to two days before the show. That's a rare event in the second weekend of August in Indianapolis, but it is what is supposed to happen this year.

Right now, two days out, there's still a 20% chance of rain in the forecast for Saturday night. That's common two days out. If that remains at 20%, of course the roof will stay closed, but if that chance drops to 0% for Saturday night and the if the forecast remains for low winds (essential to avoid backdrop curtain issues), low humidity, and reasonable summer temperatures… they might just be able to do it. I have no idea if it's even on the table. I'm just saying that Saturday could be their first good chance in four years if they wanted to try it.

I don't think it's going to make much difference if they do, quite frankly. Opening the roof will produce a small improvement in sound, I believe, but not much. The problem is not that small area of the roof that can be opened. The problem that causes most of the indoor reverb is the superstructure above the upper deck that cannot be opened except with a very significant amount of ordnance.

actually - technically this is the 5th year (1st year was 2008 but LOS wasn't ready so they held it at Indiana

"Let's keep the roof closed because drum corps sounds better inside..." Said no one, ever.

The reasons for domes are always weather related!

funny we had so many outside finals....now we're in August thunderstorm heaven and we have these issues.

maybe it's the location?

I mean ok it rained on Jackson in 93, and some in Orlando, and the Boston issue at quarters in 94.....but I'm noticing an Indiana trend here. hmmm

funny we had so many outside finals....now we're in August thunderstorm heaven and we have these issues.

maybe it's the location?

I mean ok it rained on Jackson in 93, and some in Orlando, and the Boston issue at quarters in 94.....but I'm noticing an Indiana trend here. hmmm

Yeah and that's one reason they haven't been opening the roof, besides the heat. Today's Indy storms are coming in on a front, but other storms do pop up in Indy in August with little or no warning. People say, gee we woulda gotten creamed without an indoor stadium in 2011, but if finals hadn't been in Indianapolis, they would have been fine.