Open Class Prelims review

This is what will likely be my only review of the season. I did not take any written notes. Just 1700 pictures to trigger my memory. I love Open Class Prelims. I think it is the best day on the DCI calendar. The corps are all on top of their game. It is too bad there are not more competitors but the corps that were there completely engaged me and were rewarded by the enthusiastic crowd.

Blue Saints - the small corps from Canada pulled off a great performance titled Diamond in the Rough in celebration of the corps 60th Anniversary. Featuring mostly original compositions (Carbon * Heat * Time * Pressure), the show concludes with The Canyon by Philip Glass. I was impressed at how far this show has come since I saw them in Minneapolis. They were an easy group to photograph because each of the 30+ performers really put it all out there. The corps starts out in black capes and over the course of the show, the diamond that is Blue Saints emerges in full uniform.

Blue%20Saints-001.jpg

Les Stentors - The other Canadian entry pulled off an engaging performance of The Sixties. Most notable was the drum feature which included the popular Wipe Out. The polka dot dresses on the guard enhanced the theme. A good solid performance and the members looked to be having a lot of fun. I remember one year when my son was with LVK and hosting a show that I ended up being the corps representative to welcome them to their housing site at a local fire department hall. They seemed to be a fun group, though I couldn't tell for certain if they were just having fun or making fun of their non-French speaking host.

Les%20Stentors-002.jpg

Colt Cadets - The always entertaining younger siblings to the World Class Colts presented their Alive! show to an enthusiastic crowd. I've heard that they were "born ready" and that was obvious from the way they perform. Most visually striking was the cymbal line in colorful full body suits. The cymbals start out under black sheets on tables and are brought to life by the scientists in the guard. Over the course of the show they become more involved with the production and eventually don a Colt Cadets uniform. Selections included Escape From Chronopolis by Reber Clark, Theme from Van Helsing, Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8, The Theme from Psycho by Bernard Herrmann, and Facade from Jekyll and Hyde. Congratulations on making finals.

Colt%20Cadets-003.jpg

Revolution - The corps presented their show Shattered featuring selections by Philip Glass, David Gillingham, Trading Yesterday, Joseph Brackett, Mozart and Respighi. The drum major has a very commanding presence on the podium and was clearly delighted with the performance. I was too. Great progress since my last viewing in San Antonio.

Revolution-004.jpg

Raiders - as a resident of the Mid Atlantic I was pulling for the Raiders to do well. I saw the show early in the season but haven't seen them in a month. The show is called Warped. The show is about a journey on a pathway filled with change. The large canvas floor helps provide some sense of that journey. The brass was so much more powerful than earlier in the season. Pit is obviously well trained and had a great presence.

Raiders-005.jpg

Music City - The corps presents Phantoms of the Grand Ole Opera, mixing Phantom of the Opera with country tunes by Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Tammy Wynette and others. The male guard members represent the Phantom and female guard members bring a country music feel to the show. The corps plays well and guard was very engaging.

Music%20City-006.jpg

Gold - The corps made their first trip to finals since Pasadena in 2007 and was a welcomed addition to the lineup. The show is an original composition called Different. The corps starts out in full uniform, except the pit who are in halves. Over the course of the show the brass and percussion shed their outer garments. The show ends with the drum major throwing down her uniform, oddly to become like everyone else in an attempt to be different. I think the visually the theme would be more powerful if under the uniform everyone was more visually different through colored shirts.

Gold-007.jpg

• Like 1

Legends - The corps presents their show The Edmund Fitzgerald, featuring the Gordon Lightfoot song about the sinking of the freighter in Gitche Gumee Lake (Lake Superior), along with other selections. The show is presented well and the ending is very emotional. I was sitting near some Legends supporters and they were very pleased with the performance. I thought it was greatly improved in quality and content from Minneapolis. Nicely done.

Legends-008.jpg

Genesis - If you are looking for happy, this is not the show for you. The production "Epic" takes place in a post apocalyptic world as a military regime takes control. The production is well done and tries to offer some hope as the Resistance battles the Empire. Within the show, a love story between a member of the military and part of the Resistance brings to mind other similar tales like Aida.

Genesis-009.jpg

7th Regiment - The show is called 24601-7R. The 24601 is a reference to Jean Val Jean, the main character in Les Mis. You'll have to read the program book to get this concept and maybe read it again. One time obviously wasn't enough for me as I still don't get it. Show theme aside, the music was engaging including selections by Beethoven, Sibelius and others. The corps has a great presence on the field with uniforms that could belong to no one else.

7th%20Regiment-010.jpg

Spartans - The show Renewal might have been called The Academy meets Blue Knights as they presented the feature pieces from those 2012 productions. Guard was strong as always. Firebird was particularly well done. Rite of Spring was so intense that the drum major's uniform started to unzip and continued through the rest of the performance until it was completely unzipped. I am sure he'll remember that performance many years from now.

Spartans-011.jpg

Vanguard Cadets - I last saw this show July 1 and hardly recognized it. The show was very good in June but it was so great this performance I was in tears by the end. The closer is wonderfully awesome. The show is called Heroes and Legends. The corps starts out in black hooded garments with purple. Over the course of the show these come off and they are in full Vangard attire. The show is filled with Vanguard classics, including Russian Christmas Music, and tells the story of regular people who becomes heroes and legends.

Vanguard%20Cadets-012.jpg

Blue Devils B - BDB explores the power and wonder of water in their production Ecstatic Waters. At times calm, at times powerful, the music and visual. Many changes since my last viewing on July 1, including turning the large drums 90 degrees and playing them vertically. This provided a more powerful visual impact.

Blue%20Devils%20B-013.jpg

Oregon Crusaders - when I saw OC at San Antonio, I thought the show had champion written all over it. Whether they will be able to stave off VC and BDB remains to be seen, but the show is championship quality in design and performance. The visual imagery is superb as they present the color wheel in reverse. The acoustic guitar that introduces the "red" theme was well done and the guitarist blows a kiss to the audience. The music includes selections by Eric Whitacre, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross.

Oregon%20Crusaders-014.jpg

Now, about to head out to Open Class Finals. Looking forward to seeing all of these corps again. They are all worth seeing, so if you are not in Michigan City tonight, make sure you get to Indy early on Thursday to catch these corps as they perform in Lucas Oil starting at 10:30am.

• Like 4

Thanks so much for posting! Nice to see Open Class on here. I have to say what a great year for us with so many fantastic shows. I do have to cheer for SCVC because I have a daughter in that corps. Gooo Vanguard!

Legends - The corps presents their show The Edmund Fitzgerald, featuring the Gordon Lightfoot song about the sinking of the freighter in Gitche Gumee Lake (Lake Superior), along with other selections. The show is presented well and the ending is very emotional. I was sitting near some Legends supporters and they were very pleased with the performance. I thought it was greatly improved in quality and content from Minneapolis. Nicely done.

Legends-008.jpg

Genesis - If you are looking for happy, this is not the show for you. The production "Epic" takes place in a post apocalyptic world as a military regime takes control. The production is well done and tries to offer some hope as the Resistance battles the Empire. Within the show, a love story between a member of the military and part of the Resistance brings to mind other similar tales like Aida.

Genesis-009.jpg

7th Regiment - The show is called 24601-7R. The 24601 is a reference to Jean Val Jean, the main character in Les Mis. You'll have to read the program book to get this concept and maybe read it again. One time obviously wasn't enough for me as I still don't get it. Show theme aside, the music was engaging including selections by Beethoven, Sibelius and others. The corps has a great presence on the field with uniforms that could belong to no one else.

7th%20Regiment-010.jpg

Spartans - The show Renewal might have been called The Academy meets Blue Knights as they presented the feature pieces from those 2012 productions. Guard was strong as always. Firebird was particularly well done. Rite of Spring was so intense that the drum major's uniform started to unzip and continued through the rest of the performance until it was completely unzipped. I am sure he'll remember that performance many years from now.

Spartans-011.jpg

Vanguard Cadets - I last saw this show July 1 and hardly recognized it. The show was very good in June but it was so great this performance I was in tears by the end. The closer is wonderfully awesome. The show is called Heroes and Legends. The corps starts out in black hooded garments with purple. Over the course of the show these come off and they are in full Vangard attire. The show is filled with Vanguard classics, including Russian Christmas Music, and tells the story of regular people who becomes heroes and legends.

Vanguard%20Cadets-012.jpg

Blue Devils B - BDB explores the power and wonder of water in their production Ecstatic Waters. At times calm, at times powerful, the music and visual. Many changes since my last viewing on July 1, including turning the large drums 90 degrees and playing them vertically. This provided a more powerful visual impact.

Blue%20Devils%20B-013.jpg

Oregon Crusaders - when I saw OC at San Antonio, I thought the show had champion written all over it. Whether they will be able to stave off VC and BDB remains to be seen, but the show is championship quality in design and performance. The visual imagery is superb as they present the color wheel in reverse. The acoustic guitar that introduces the "red" theme was well done and the guitarist blows a kiss to the audience. The music includes selections by Eric Whitacre, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross.

Oregon%20Crusaders-014.jpg

Now, about to head out to Open Class Finals. Looking forward to seeing all of these corps again. They are all worth seeing, so if you are not in Michigan City tonight, make sure you get to Indy early on Thursday to catch these corps as they perform in Lucas Oil starting at 10:30am.

Wonderful photos!