DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Very intelligent. But then again, you're young with so little perspective on the activity. I forgive you. I will respond to any other relevant, thoughtful commentary.

This one time on tour... my foot started bleeding because I was allergic to something in the grass... I went to the hospital after rehearsal and got it taken care of.

• Like 6

Have you ever seen indoor percussion? Drum Corps type stuff is stronger than ever!

I hosted a couple open calass kids at my small condo where my oldest sleeps in the living room. What have you done to help?

Yea didn't think so!

Yup. sure have :) And thats a great thing! The number of corps now is not what it once was.

• Like 5

Has anyone noticed that gas isn't 28 cents a gallon anymore? And jobs that paid $35k in 1972 dollars pay about $22k in 2012 bucks? Noticed how you never have to wait in line to get a beer at the local VFW post's bar these days - because there are 30 stools at the bar and only 3 old guys sitting in them? And all the kids who used to be hustled into the local hall for drum corps practice are in their high school band rooms, learning the marching band's music for that season?

Friggin DCI - killed drum corps.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 4

Friggin DCI - killed drum corps.

Many of the tactics did. Make fun all you want, but no one has yet to argue the numbers. You just come up with corny lines. Thats cool. Have a great rest of the summer!

• Like 9

Oh, this thread again?

Remember, everyone. You should type using HUGE font sizes. So that people KNOW you are SERIOUS.

Edited by BroncoTrooper
  • Like 7

The number of corps going down is sad to see. I'm sure no one is cheering the fact that these corps have gone.

I would say that the level of musicianship is higher than that of 30 years ago.

• Like 5

Steve Carell? Jenna Fischer? It really is a fantastic series....

I haven't been enjoying it as much since Steve Carell left. There have been some good episodes in this last season, but the series has mostly jumped the shark. Catherine Tate's character drives me crazy!

• Like 2

Groove, I agree with you 100%. I joined my first corps in 1965.

What disturbs me most is to observe all the brainwashing and inbreeding that goes on by people who work hard to protect their phony baloney job$.

And the further I am removed from the days when I marched, the LESS important the memories of COMPETITION become. At the same time, the MORE important the memories and pride of ENTERTAINING strangers becomes. Go figure. It must be part of growing old.

• Like 4