DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

By 1989s standards, Academy 2012's GE scores would be off the charts. But I digress...

I disagree that we couldn't go back. not fully, not right now. That said, as an activity we MUST at least start the ball rolling with building the regions back up. Perhaps drastic action is needed. Perhaps only the TOC corps should be allowed to tour nationally leaving the rest to tour regionally up until finals. It would certainly give the "lower" corps something to fight for. In the past I have suggested a relegation system similar to that of European soccer.. Maybe leave only those corps that qualify for World Class (Top 17 I say) as those eligible to tour nationally. Or perhaps, just reinstitute the regions and drop the hammer and let the chips fall where they may! Back when I was marching, the very fact that we wouldn't see some of our competition until the week of Finals (We didn't see Suncoast until August back in 89) made things certainly more interesting, and that was a direct result of regional touring... I'm not sure what the answer is but something needs doing now.

• Like 1

I like how you make a point that in 1982 there were other corps that didn't travel to DCI, but in 2012 you say Total 36 as if there aren't other corps out there that didn't travel to DCI.

A SAD Drum Corps fact: In 1982, 30 years ago, when I marched with the Bridgemen, there were:

• 48 Drum Corps competing in Open Class Prelims,

• 43 Drum Corps in Class A Prelims,

• 7 All-Girls Corps,

• 5 Class B corps, mostly in Jersey

• TOTAL: 103 Drum Corps, at ALL LEVELS!!, plus the others who did NOT travel to DCI.

Corps had INDIVIDUALITY, an IDENTITY, and played very entertaining shows that were also difficult and competitive.

...and today?? Well, not even close.

• 22 "World Class"

• 14 "Open Class"

• Total: 36

We have watched a steady decline, and it's sad to say, we may be watching the beginning of the final countdown, as the economy and DCI politics continue to kill Drum Corps.

Thanks to the "rich get richer" system that was employed, whereby winning corps made more money on tour, the activity is dwindling to a select few who attract all the kids. And if it were up to certain people, there would only be 10 corps in the whole country, and doing it on their own "tour". Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

I agree the numbers are sad, but you'll have more luck getting a ferret to conduct the New York Philharmonic than to see the problem fixed on DCP, (or to even get more than a few real responses given the amount of time already spent on this topic).

My honest opinion? The problem is unfixable. The change and decline in numbers has happened gradually over decades, not the result of a one year change in approach or rules that could be reversed to eliminate the problem.

also - is it DCI's fault that some corps are so mismanaged financially to actually have fed their corps Popcorn for dinner and to not pay their bus company during first tour and then switch to another bus company for 2nd tour when the first company pulled their buses back.

Financial mismanagement is the demise of drum corps not DCI.

(and I'm not referring to Teal Sound in the first sentence)

Very intelligent. But then again, you're young with so little perspective on the activity. I forgive you. I will respond to any other relevant, thoughtful commentary.

You slam a response because of his age?

I'm from your time and regardless of the numbers and whether I agree with you or not, you invalidate your own position with such a stance.

• Like 2

I agree the numbers are sad, but you'll have more luck getting a ferret to conduct the New York Philharmonic than to see the problem fixed on DCP, (or to even get more than a few real responses given the amount of time already spent on this topic).

My honest opinion? The problem is unfixable. The change and decline in numbers has happened gradually over decades, not the result of a one year change in approach or rules that could be reversed to eliminate the problem.

How do you know ? How do yo know it wasnt a certain change, or set of changes that caused the decline ? The braintrust of DCI, ie: The corps themselves implemented change after change year after year, never giving each change implemented to either sink or swim..we will NEVER know what worked or wwhat didnt because we have no research or statisitcs to prove positive or negative.....

G

• Like 2

Used to belong to a city church that started in the late 1890s and was really going great until the mid 70s or so. Now it's barely hanging on due to declining membership and income not meeting expenses (sound familiar?). In the mid 90s I was on council (sign of the problems there) we set up meetings with synod on the churchs strengths, weaknesses and what can be done to reverse the decline.

In a sound bite, nothing can be done to go back as forces outside of our control were most responsible for the decline (decline of the city itself and society changes mostly). We were told we had two options:

1) Continue doing what we were doing and wait for the end (while twiddling our thumbs).

2) UNderstand and work with the changes to do the most we could with the time left.

Weird part was the seminar on changes applied very well to what has been going on with DC over the decades. Especially the city based corps as decline of the city (and move to da 'burbs) was a biggie for us.

Edit: As for DCI rules reversing the decline, IMO DCI has made some dumb (along with smart) decisions over the years. But what rule that could help new corps start up, I'm more concerned with lack of new corps than anything else.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Used to belong to a city church that started in the late 1890s and was really going great until the mid 70s or so. Now it's barely hanging on due to declining membership and income not meeting expenses (sound familiar?). In the mid 90s I was on council (sign of the problems there) we set up meetings with synod on the churchs strengths, weaknesses and what can be done to reverse the decline.

In a sound bite, nothing can be done to go back as forces outside of our control were most responsible for the decline (decline of the city itself and society changes mostly). We were told we had two options:

1) Continue doing what we were doing and wait for the end (while twiddling our thumbs).

2) UNderstand and work with the changes to do the most we could with the time left.

Weird part was the seminar on changes applied very well to what has been going on with DC over the decades. Especially the city based corps as decline of the city (and move to da 'burbs) was a biggie for us.

Edit: As for DCI rules reversing the decline, IMO DCI has made some dumb (along with smart) decisions over the years. But what rule that could help new corps start up, I'm more concerned with lack of new corps than anything else.

ive have gone to the seminars on change also and its kinda weird to BUT heres a question posed at one I went to and could be applied anywhere I guess....when something that isnt working now many want to revert back to a time where they feel it did work BUT in many if not most cases whats bad about today didnt just happen over night , it was a process starting BITD when people felt it was a utopia...so not that reverting back cant work BUT this statement was certainly food for thought..........something led up to todays issues and they didnt just start.........now of course many now will step forward and give the expert advice ( which this also was in the seminar ).But you have to ask yourself , well if all this knowledge of how to fix things exsist, why didnt these people fix it along the way......was very interesting in general.....just a thought

personally and JMO I do think alot of it has to do with Social climate more than anything.

Edited by GUARDLING

How do you know ? How do yo know it wasnt a certain change, or set of changes that caused the decline ? The braintrust of DCI, ie: The corps themselves implemented change after change year after year, never giving each change implemented to either sink or swim..we will NEVER know what worked or wwhat didnt because we have no research or statisitcs to prove positive or negative.....

G

Because the decline has happened gradually over decades, not in big chunks one year and then another. Did Suncoast Sound fold for the same reasons in the same circumstance and environment that Bridgmen did? Did Florida Wave, or Velvet Knights fold for the same reasons in the same circumstances and environment that Teal Sound did? There certainly was not one or even two changes in the activity that one can point to that explain the demise of these corps spanning a 30 year period.