DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Drum corps, marching band, same difference.

Well, if you're taking that view, why even mention how many corps there once were? Tell us how many corps/bands/drumlines/guards there were in the "marching arts community" umpteen years ago, and continue from there.

They are completely indistinguishable to the person on the street. It is silly to argue the differences.

Yes, it is. So why do you continue to argue?

Drum corps has pretty much shaped competitive marching band... and now marching band has become a proving ground and feeder for drum corps. There is a very clear symbiotic relationship between the two.... and these days drum corps would cease to exist without scholastic marching band programs.

By your logic, the opposite is true. Without scholastic marching band programs, there would be a need for drum corps on the local level once again. Get your story straight.

But, again... the the guy on the street... they're exactly the same thing.

The guy on the street is irrelevant. The guy in the stands matter$.

I quoted this so when you sober up you can't delete it.

My god what arrogance.

Where do you think the Blue Devils came from?

Krypton?

They WERE the epitomy of "scrappy local corps".

They started as a drum and BELL corps.

History. Who cares?

Tried to give you a green plus but once again I seem to have exhausted my quota of positivity for the day.

Although with the bell thing I think you're thinking of SCV and The Sparks.

Tried to give you a green plus but once again I seem to have exhausted my quota of positivity for the day.

Although with the bell thing I think you're thinking of SCV and The Sparks.

I have too. :)

The Sparks had a similar history, and actually spun out almost all the Blue Devils drum and bugle corps heavy hitters when they were SCV.

In 1957, Tony and Ann Odello and the Concord VFW post assumed control of the Martinettes, a defunct drum corps and drill team. They reorganized the unit as the The Blue Devils, taking the name from the V.F.W.'s color (blue) and a local landmark, Mt. Diablo (devil). Initially, the group of fewer than 50 young people, performed as an all-boy drum corps with an all-girl drill team. In 1958, the Blue Devils added glockenspiels, becoming a drum and bell corps, while the girls became a separate a baton twirling troupe, the Majorettes. The two units continued to perform together with much success, winning numerous state and local competitions between 1957 and 1970. In 1961, the Blue Devils added a flag section to the unit that was then competing in the state's Junior division. Jerry Seawright succeeded Tony Odello as corps manager in 1964. In 1968, the drum and bell corps moved into Senior Division competition, and a new "B" Junior corps was begun. All units of the Blue Devils organization were enjoying such success that the decision was made to transform the "A" drum and bell corps into a drum and bugle corps (D&B).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Devils_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

• Like 1

I have too. :)

The Sparks had a similar history, and actually spun out almost all the Blue Devils drum and bugle corps heavy hitters when they were SCV.

In 1957, Tony and Ann Odello and the Concord VFW post assumed control of the Martinettes, a defunct drum corps and drill team. They reorganized the unit as the The Blue Devils, taking the name from the V.F.W.'s color (blue) and a local landmark, Mt. Diablo (devil). Initially, the group of fewer than 50 young people, performed as an all-boy drum corps with an all-girl drill team. In 1958, the Blue Devils added glockenspiels, becoming a drum and bell corps, while the girls became a separate a baton twirling troupe, the Majorettes. The two units continued to perform together with much success, winning numerous state and local competitions between 1957 and 1970. In 1961, the Blue Devils added a flag section to the unit that was then competing in the state's Junior division. Jerry Seawright succeeded Tony Odello as corps manager in 1964. In 1968, the drum and bell corps moved into Senior Division competition, and a new "B" Junior corps was begun. All units of the Blue Devils organization were enjoying such success that the decision was made to transform the "A" drum and bell corps into a drum and bugle corps (D&B).

http://en.wikipedia....and_Bugle_Corps

Didn't know that about Devils, thanks! Pretty much every corps on the field has some humble and precarious beginning or moments in their history. I think it's a good thing to remember that....

Didn't know that about Devils, thanks! Pretty much every corps on the field has some humble and precarious beginning or moments in their history. I think it's a good thing to remember that....

Agreed.

I was a charter member of Spirit of Atlanta, I saw how the whole thing went together.

The direction Spirit took in '78 was all about Ott and Float and Bandy and Stanton and the people and TRADITION they brought with them. Nobody remembers the Charioteers, but their ex-members formed the backbone that Spirit grew on.

I was lucky, I came along at a time when there was still a lot of tradition in drum corps.

Bob Hoehn (RIP) was Spirit's first director.

Bob was from the Cavaliers of the 60's and had a huge collection of drum corps albums from that era. He shared so much of that with me and I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he talked about it. I would imagine that I get that same look now.

When the history is lost, the tradition is lost, then what you have left is just a shell, something to hang a medal on.

I guess the hardest thing for me to remember is although it is so fresh in my mind, it was forever ago to younger folks. I watched my Dad go through the same thing.

Sigh...

I guess the hardest thing for me to remember is although it is so fresh in my mind, it was forever ago to younger folks. I watched my Dad go through the same thing.

Sigh...

Take respite in the fact that most corps are adamant about making sure their members know, acknowledge, and respect the history of those that came before. I know that's the case with the Blue Devils, and corps like Spirit and Crossmen as well. I would be surprised if there was any corps out there that didn't teach their history.

generalize? its the actual statistics and reality of the situation... by global comparison, US students are far behind in the basic fundamentals and necessary skills... it doesnt help also that the WHO since the mid 90's, still ranks the US as the #1 country in the world with the highest % of emotional and mental disorders (1 in 4 people)... what do you think that does to society at large? Have you seen much broadcast media? or the way people act/think?

One thing to realize is that in many other countries only the best and brightest are even permitted to take the standardized tests and go on to college, unlike here in the US, where taking tests like the SAT and ACT are pretty much expected of every student, no matter what their actual academic level might be.