DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Ok there is a shred of truth to this. Blue Stars clung to their silly dated uniforms and "tradition" forever and it served them well in Div 3 and Div 2. But to truly make the surge into TODAY's Top 12, they needed an EXTREME home makeover. Troopers defied logic and explanation it 2010 (or was it 2009) by making it back into Finals.

I agree with you, you must adapt or get left behind (see Madison Scouts 2002, CC 2002)

A) I wouldn't call it silly

B) The guard hurt them but hornline and drumline were pretty darn good that year- top 12 if I remember....just saying...now back to my exploits in Tijuana....

CM

Boys, boys......afterall, he did call you "Mr". :tongue:

And the last time I got called "Sir" it cost me 111 bucks.

But I did learn where the town next door sets up the trap when they run low on $$$ :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Ok there is a shred of truth to this. Blue Stars clung to their silly dated uniforms and "tradition" forever and it served them well in Div 3 and Div 2. But to truly make the surge into TODAY's Top 12, they needed an EXTREME home makeover. Troopers defied logic and explanation it 2010 (or was it 2009) by making it back into Finals.

I agree with you, you must adapt or get left behind (see Madison Scouts 2002, CC 2002)

Its not all black and white. Things are not all " OK " in DCI ..and likewise, perhaps its not on death's door either. DCI itself " must change or be left behind" too. Its now off the cherished and valued national TV spots it omce had. ESPN looked at its national viewewrship numbers when they broadcasted DCI Finals and were not impressed. PBS found that its newer music educators base don't contribute bucks to PBS like previous decades fans used to and dropped DCI. DCI needs to change with ( your words ) " an EXTREME home makeover ", or it won't even find The Home Shopping Network interested in a delayed broadcast arrangement of its Championship Finals. Don't kid yourself that " DCI is fine " and that it can have its standard bearer Champion in performance receiving current golf claps from its small niche fan base.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Boys, boys......afterall, he did call you "Mr". :tongue:

Sigh...it's so much easier fighting with you Blue Devils fans than arguing with the dinos :sad:

A) I wouldn't call it silly

B) The guard hurt them but hornline and drumline were pretty darn good that year- top 12 if I remember....just saying...now back to my exploits in Tijuana....

CM

C'mon...they were beating us by 20 points a show in 98, but at least we got to pick on those ridiculous helmets every night! :tongue:

Its not all black and white. Things are not all " OK " in DCI ..and likewise, perhaps its not on death's door either. DCI itself " must change or be left behind" too. Its now off thecherished and valued national TV spots it omce had. ESPN looked at its national viewewrship numberswhen they broadcasted it and were not impressed. DCI needs to change with ( your words ) " an EXTREME home makeover ", or it won't even find The Home Shopping Network interested in a delayed broadcast arrangement of its Championship Finals. Don't kid yourself that " DCI is fine " and that it can have its standard bearer Champion receiving current golf claps ftom its small niche fan base.

Agreed....

DCI needs a serious overhaul, but it begins with what is being rewarded. If the show that receives golf claps is the champion, then we have an issue. The judging sheet change didn't fix it.

They also need to align DCI with BOA to not only bring more groups into the fold, but to get schools around the country to be more willing to allow corps to house at their facilities. (DCI/BOA show fee discount for the school that houses a World Class corps)

Then the touring model needs to go back to regional touring until at least July 15th. National touring should only take place in the final month.

• Like 1

well all i can say is drum corps international might be dying but drumlines are not. It has undergone a paradigm shift to the schools now. I used to think it was dying too until I went to a winter percussion show at our high school.

• Like 1

Agreed....

DCI needs a serious overhaul, but it begins with what is being rewarded. If the show that receives golf claps is the champion, then we have an issue. The judging sheet change didn't fix it.

They also need to align DCI with BOA to not only bring more groups into the fold, but to get schools around the country to be more willing to allow corps to house at their facilities. (DCI/BOA show fee discount for the school that houses a World Class corps)

Then the touring model needs to go back to regional touring until at least July 15th. National touring should only take place in the final month.

I like some of your suggestions.

Agreed....

Me too! It needs to go back to the local level again.

• Like 1