DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Consider if you will an alternate universe....

One in which DCI has done the best it could to respond to and try to manage an environment that is ever changing and usually not in a predictable or favorable way for the activity.

A universe in which the best decision has been made given the information at hand as opposed to looking back in hindsight with the perspective of many years of trends and data.

I'm not saying that the ball hasn't been dropped in the past and won't be again in the future but it's easy to criticize knowing what we know now.

Pick any moment in time and define the problem that you think DCI was facing and what countermeasures they should have put in place to address that problem. Do all that wihout the knowledge that you have gained since that point.

Now project that to today and tell us what would be better or worse as a result of your plan.

OK...it's 1982 and we are losing corps:

What are the reasons?

Are there larger forces at play that we need to consider?

What can we do to stop this from happening?

Can we stop this from happening?

Should we stop this from happening?

Do we sacrifice some to save others?

It's not quite so easy to be a visionary.

• Like 1

Yes, I am a dino by calendar years... but I'm just a sprout in DC years. Therefore I am wonderfully ignorant and burden-free of those "thrilling days of yester year". I see what I see today and except it as it is.....remarkable! I have also been privileged to be around some of the finest musicians and performers to ever grace the DC field, doing some of the most innovative and challenging show designs in DC history. And it's only going to get better.

And, my old friend.....since when in Gin blue? :drool:

Bombay Sapphire! Yummy!

C'mon...they were beating us by 20 points a show in 98, but at least we got to pick on those ridiculous helmets every night! :tongue:

Love me some Guardsmen but you want to talk about ridiculous helmets, hatwear, etc. ... by the way...think I'll listen to Fanfare for the New and Tiger of San Pedro tonight when I get home.

yes and the reason for the decline was that the Drum Corps fans stopped sending in money even though they pledged. PBS got tired of that and moved on to something that would attract people who pledged and paid.

From what I heard it was both. Local PBS station thought pledges that weren't pledges were a PITA (pain in the ###). But even if eveyone who promised to pledge followed thru the total amount of $$$$ was going downhill after the big late 70s/early 80s splurge. PBS could see the interest in Drum Corps was going down in the Harrisburg/Hershey area without knowing about ticket sales in the local shows going down and loss of two local corps (3 after 1984).

I'm thinking you missed sarcasm

opps-a-daisy.

You're probably right. ' Hard to tell sometimes if its sarcasm or real.

2 things wrong with your statement.

1) DCI realized that the ESPN product which was dictated by ESPN was too expensive to produce and the cost to DCI of having it aired on ESPN was to prohibitive to continue so they chose to stop after 2 years.

2) PBS got tired of DCI fans making all kinds of pledges during the DCI broadcast which they never bothered following up with actually sending the money to PBS. This is why PBS dropped DCI from their schedule.

2 is right ( and said so above )

1 depends on who you talk to.

Edited by BRASSO

Kingsmen?

Muchachos?

Guardsmen?

Crusaders, Optimists, Blue Rock, 27th Lancers, Suncoast, yeah - who misses any of them????

me, me, me... I got my hand raised way up high and waving left to right. Can you see it ?

( but some here don't miss them one bit )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

opps-a-daisy.

You're probably right. ' Hard to tell sometimes if its sarcasm or real.

knowing the posters personality helped

knowing the posters personality helped

Ok.. makes sense.

Edited by BRASSO