DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

I haven't been enjoying it as much since Steve Carell left. There have been some good episodes in this last season, but the series has mostly jumped the shark. Catherine Tate's character drives me crazy!

You know I hear that alot. I honestly still like it even thought Tate is very unlikable. I say this will be the last season. I believe B.J. Novak left as well...

• Like 1

Very intelligent. But then again, you're young with so little perspective on the activity. I forgive you. I will respond to any other relevant, thoughtful commentary.

Do you have a question ?

• Like 1

And it's turning into the "back in my day, when we blah blah blah"...times have changed. As far as the ACTUAL topic, I think some things need to be done, but we've seen this thread upwards of 5 times this summer, along with the billion Crown vs. BD threads. Sometimes repetition doesn't help at all...

And it's turning into the "back in my day, when we blah blah blah"...times have changed. As far as the ACTUAL topic, I think some things need to be done, but we've seen this thread upwards of 5 times this summer, along with the billion Crown vs. BD threads. Sometimes repetition doesn't help at all...

Excuse me, but as far as the "actual topic" goes, the office is a great show even though it's fallen slightly.

Edited by SiBlueStar
  • Like 2

Excuse me, but as far as the "actual topic" goes, the office is a great show even though it's fallen slightly.

Agreed. Soooooooo much better than the original UK Ricky Gervais version. But you are correct, without Steve Carrell it has slipped slightly but not nearly as bad as Two & 1/2 Men without Charlie Sheen. That show is bordering on unwatchable. I feel sorry for Jon Cryer and Angus ????? and others. At least The Office was an ensemble cast and not a "star" vehicle like 2 & 1/2.

A SAD Drum Corps fact: In 1982, 30 years ago, when I marched with the Bridgemen, there were:

• 48 Drum Corps competing in Open Class Prelims,

• 43 Drum Corps in Class A Prelims,

• 7 All-Girls Corps,

• 5 Class B corps, mostly in Jersey

• TOTAL: 103 Drum Corps, at ALL LEVELS!!, plus the others who did NOT travel to DCI.

Corps had INDIVIDUALITY, an IDENTITY, and played very entertaining shows that were also difficult and competitive.

...and today?? Well, not even close.

• 22 "World Class"

• 14 "Open Class"

• Total: 36

We have watched a steady decline, and it's sad to say, we may be watching the beginning of the final countdown, as the economy and DCI politics continue to kill Drum Corps.

Thanks to the "rich get richer" system that was employed, whereby winning corps made more money on tour, the activity is dwindling to a select few who attract all the kids. And if it were up to certain people, there would only be 10 corps in the whole country, and doing it on their own "tour". Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

Your choice of font and use of bold text are noted.

No one is stopping you from loving the old days or forcing you to like the new.

I, too, find myself pining for simpler times. When #####ing and moaning was reserved for the kitchen table at dinner time and not broadcast self-importantly over internet forums.

• Like 2

A SAD Drum Corps fact: In 1982, 30 years ago, when I marched with the Bridgemen, there were:

• 48 Drum Corps competing in Open Class Prelims,

• 43 Drum Corps in Class A Prelims,

• 7 All-Girls Corps,

• 5 Class B corps, mostly in Jersey

• TOTAL: 103 Drum Corps, at ALL LEVELS!!, plus the others who did NOT travel to DCI.

Corps had INDIVIDUALITY, an IDENTITY, and played very entertaining shows that were also difficult and competitive.

...and today?? Well, not even close.

• 22 "World Class"

• 14 "Open Class"

• Total: 36

We have watched a steady decline, and it's sad to say, we may be watching the beginning of the final countdown, as the economy and DCI politics continue to kill Drum Corps.

Thanks to the "rich get richer" system that was employed, whereby winning corps made more money on tour, the activity is dwindling to a select few who attract all the kids. And if it were up to certain people, there would only be 10 corps in the whole country, and doing it on their own "tour". Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

Please tell me how the number of Highschool Marching Bands have increased over the past 30 years. Please tell me how number of activities for highschool/college age students during the summer have also increased over the past 30 years. Where is the Context in any of this?

• Like 1

is DCI solely to blame for the loss of many of these corps? No

now, could they have thought things through, and made some smarter choices that may have helped a few stay with us? Sure

• Like 2

My guess is you haven't been around long enough to see the DOZENS of threads on this EXACT TOPIC.

The forum's been around for awhile OP. What you're saying has already been said ad nauseum. I suggest you get on here more often and check out some of the productive solutions many on this forum have put forth to the very dilemma you cite.

Also, lets not forget the timing.. which most would agree is Box 1

Edited by Barifonium
  • Like 1