DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

I thought we were talking about drum corps. At least, that's what you said previously:

Drum corps, marching band, same difference. They are completely indistinguishable to the person on the street. It is silly to argue the differences.

Drum corps has pretty much shaped competitive marching band... and now marching band has become a proving ground and feeder for drum corps. There is a very clear symbiotic relationship between the two.... and these days drum corps would cease to exist without scholastic marching band programs.

But, again... the the guy on the street... they're exactly the same thing.

It's absolutely a cop out. You just don't want to believe you're guilty of copping out.

Look - I understand it's hard to start a DCI corps, but all along I've advocated for local corps with regional competition. By all means go to DCI if you can afford it, but for most startups DCI is not affordable. This past season, for 4 DCI corps, DCI was not affordable....

I'm on the board for one such local startup, and I will be teaching another starting September. We may or may not succeed but I'm willing to try. I am most definitely NOT willing to sit back and pretend it's someone else's responsibility.

Cute line but like so many of these sound byte moments, it obscures the point.

I want drum corps to grow - so I'm supporting drum corps.

It makes zero sense to start a local drum corps in a place that is well served by scholastic marching band. This would be pretty much a redundant experience, and kids would likely not be all that interested.

In the case where there is no local marching band program... youth would likely be better served by supporting a marching band program in the local schools. On top of having facilities and built in support system, chools are simply better set up for this than a local independent organization would be. If you're talking about a touring group, then that's a different story. Independent is much better for a variety of reasons.

It makes zero sense to start a local drum corps in a place that is well served by scholastic marching band. This would be pretty much a redundant experience, and kids would likely not be all that interested.

Why? Are you telling me there are no band programs in any of the cities where drum corps currently exist?

In the case where there is no local marching band program... youth would likely be better served by supporting a marching band program in the local schools. On top of having facilities and built in support system, chools are simply better set up for this than a local independent organization would be. If you're talking about a touring group, then that's a different story. Independent is much better for a variety of reasons.

So it's OK to set up an expensive, touring DCI corps, but not a cheaper, non-touring local corps? Sorry but that's absolute nonsense. That guarantees we will not see any new corps.

Why? Are you telling me there are no band programs in any of the cities where drum corps currently exist?

Local drum corps?

So it's OK to set up an expensive, touring DCI corps, but not a cheaper, non-touring local corps? Sorry but that's absolute nonsense. That guarantees we will not see any new corps.

What is the point of creating a local, non-touring corps in a place where there is already a scholastic marching band program?

Local drum corps?

Are you of the belief that there are no high schools where the SDCA corps exist?

What is the point of creating a local, non-touring corps in a place where there is already a scholastic marching band program?

Because it's a drum corps, not a band?

Because it's a summer activity not restricted to the school year?

Because in our area there actually are ZERO high school bands?

We're talking about trying to form more drum corps. How on earth can you possibly be opposed to that idea?

• Like 2

Are you of the belief that there are no high schools where the SDCA corps exist?

SDCA is not a youth activity, and I am strongly against mixing high school age kids and adults.

Because it's a drum corps, not a band?

Because it's a summer activity not restricted to the school year?

Because in our area there actually are ZERO high school bands?

We're talking about trying to form more drum corps. How on earth can you possibly be opposed to that idea?

If there are zero high school bands in your area, help support creating them through the schools. Schools are much better equipped (kids, facilities, support structure, etc.) to add something like this than an independent group starting out. Schools also provide a mechanism for legal protections, insurance and screening staff and volunteers.

About the difference between drum corps and marching band, on the local level, why does it really even matter?

Also, why is simply having more corps better? What does this really solve if scholastic programs can honestly provide a better quality of experience at a lower cost than a scrappy local drum corps? I personally don't like the idea of scrappy ad-hoc local drum corps. It isn't about performance level, but level of operations and quality of experience. There is too much potential with a scrappy local corps to create a less than ideal experience that participants and local community might consider to be representative of all corps.

I think there should be a minimal standard of operations with anything associated with the DCI brand, simply due to the fact that one bad apple could damage relationships with schools and local communities where corps are dependent on housing, etc.

On top of that, again, I just don't see any need that it might be fulfilled that would not be more effective and efficient as a scholastic program (even in the summer).

• Like 1

SDCA is not a youth activity, and I am strongly against mixing high school age kids and adults.

If there are zero high school bands in your area, help support creating them through the schools. Schools are much better equipped (kids, facilities, support structure, etc.) to add something like this than an independent group starting out. Schools also provide a mechanism for legal protections, insurance and screening staff and volunteers.

About the difference between drum corps and marching band, on the local level, why does it really even matter?

Also, why is simply having more corps better? What does this really solve if scholastic programs can honestly provide a better quality of experience at a lower cost than a scrappy local drum corps? I personally don't like the idea of scrappy ad-hoc local drum corps. It isn't about performance level, but level of operations and quality of experience. There is too much potential with a scrappy local corps to create a less than ideal experience that participants and local community might consider to be representative of all corps.

I think there should be a minimal standard of operations with anything associated with the DCI brand, simply due to the fact that one bad apple could damage relationships with schools and local communities where corps are dependent on housing, etc.

On top of that, again, I just don't see any need that it might be fulfilled that would not be more effective and efficient as a scholastic program (even in the summer).

I quoted this so when you sober up you can't delete it.

My god what arrogance.

Where do you think the Blue Devils came from?

Krypton?

They WERE the epitomy of "scrappy local corps".

They started as a drum and BELL corps.

History. Who cares?

SDCA has both.

Are you now of the belief that any adult associated with drum corps is a potential pedo? Better fire all the instructors in DCI....

Why should I if i'm interested in drum corps, not band? Drum corps can arrange all the things you describe. You're copping out again. "Let someone else do it - it's too hard....."

Because to a growing segment of the youth demographic, we're losing a unique musical performance genre. That matters.

Also, why is simply having more corps better?

See my note above and add - if they're performing at a show this Saturday they are less likely to be breaking into your garage. Seriously, you need an answer to that question?

I personally don't like the idea of scrappy ad-hoc local drum corps.

Don't worry - having read your opinions on this board, I won't be calling on you to help out.

And believe me, with the hoops you have to jump through to incorporate and establish a charitable status to start a corps, it's anything but scrappy and ad hoc, but thanks for the side swipe all the same.

When did I say DCI? Being local and regional precludes being associated with DCI in any meaningful way.

Edited by Grandpa