DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

is DCI solely to blame for the loss of many of these corps? No

now, could they have thought things through, and made some smarter choices that may have helped a few stay with us? Sure

I agree. Drum Corps was already on the decline in terms of numbers well before this poster suited up to march Bridgemen in '82. By '82, there were less than a quarter of the Corps in the state of New Jersey as there was in '62.

Edited by BRASSO

103 corps? HOLY CRAP!!!! I can barely make it through an entire day at Atlanta. Could you imagine having to watch 103 mostly boring ### corps? I mean really only a handful were really GOOD anyway. Who cares how many marginal corps we lost.

Survival of the fittest. Run a better business and your corps will thrive

• Like 2

My goodness! The activity today versus the activity 30 years ago is very different. Drum corps in decline? Really??? Tell that to the record crowd in Atlanta, the packed stands in Allentown or in Massillion - and the hundreds of thousands of fans and supporters who will enjoy witnessing some very memorable shows this year. Mostly, tell that to the dedicated performers that give it their all for the love of drum corps. This is not drum corps of 1982. The product in 2012 is off-the-charts better. There's been a few corps that have struggled this year. That's a sign of competition and the world we live in. Only those that are best managed, promoted, and well-run will flourish. It's that way in most everything. Drum corps is no different.

Let's not be the folks who yearn for G bugles and VFW/American Legion shows (Yes, G bugles were loud. But, boy were they often out-of- tune and honked out notes. I'll take today's instruments any day. And, by the way, thank you to the VFW's and American Legions that provided their gracious support to the corps of the past!)

It's time to get on board with TODAY'S DRUM CORPS, so get out and do something to insure it's success for the many generations to come.

C'mon! Get out and volunteer, donate your time, sponsor a kid, buy a souvenir from each corps, and enjoy the show!

PS - I agree that the timing of this post is a bit disrespectful to the activity during final's week. However, I'm glad to have voiced my opinion as I'm a believer that drum corps is sustainable and will flourish.

I appeciate your thoughts, though. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have an opinion. But take that passion that you must have and put it to work by being an active participant in the future of drum corps. Let's move this train forward!!!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 7

I'm fairly new to following the activity, but I can't say I think drum corps has really declined much at all. Measuring the success of drum corps by the number of corps in operation gives incredibly limited context as to how the activity is actually doing, and what quality of shows are being put out. I mean, you can say we have less corps performing than ever, and I'll counter that with the fact that Atlanta had the most viewers in attendance than ever. Do either accurately represent the state of the activity? Probably not.

If I had to pick a single thing by which to measure the success of drum corps, I would pick the quality of the shows as they relate both to difficulty/artistry and as they relate to crowd engagement and enjoyment. However much you may disagree with the Blue Devils' approach this year, the quality of their execution is evidence alone, in my opinion, that our activity is doing better than ever. You didn't see that level of execution even ten years ago, let alone twenty or thirty. The kids are stronger, faster, better musicians, which is just the nature of things - always improving. Auditions for spots in corps is more competitive than ever. From the perspective of crowd engagement, we have shows like Spirit, Madison Scouts, and heck, even Jersey Surf, than don't even crack our Top 8! Can you imagine Reframed or Sin City NOT breaking the Top 8 ten or twenty years ago? The quality of shows across the board is simply higher than it used to be, which is, in my mind, evidence that we are not in decline.

Now, the point about the state of corps and corps finance is DEFINITELY worth talking about. We aren't where we want to be or where we should be in regard to the ability of corps to manage their finances effectively, and the ease of starting/maintaining a World Class OR Open Class corps. So what do we do to fix that? How can we change the financial playing field in our activity to make it easier for corps to either make money, or spend less money, and also for people/groups that want to start new corps to do that? I think that's a valuable discussion to have. But I don't think that one measure of things is reflective at all of the state of the activity. Not a chance.

A SAD Drum Corps fact: In 1982, 30 years ago, when I marched with the Bridgemen, there were:

• 48 Drum Corps competing in Open Class Prelims,

• 43 Drum Corps in Class A Prelims,

• 7 All-Girls Corps,

• 5 Class B corps, mostly in Jersey

• TOTAL: 103 Drum Corps, at ALL LEVELS!!, plus the others who did NOT travel to DCI.

Corps had INDIVIDUALITY, an IDENTITY, and played very entertaining shows that were also difficult and competitive.

...and today?? Well, not even close.

• 22 "World Class"

• 14 "Open Class"

• Total: 36

We have watched a steady decline, and it's sad to say, we may be watching the beginning of the final countdown, as the economy and DCI politics continue to kill Drum Corps.

Thanks to the "rich get richer" system that was employed, whereby winning corps made more money on tour, the activity is dwindling to a select few who attract all the kids. And if it were up to certain people, there would only be 10 corps in the whole country, and doing it on their own "tour". Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

Don't worry. All is well now. Everything is fine. Whats that you say? The future of drum corps as an activity is at risk? Fans don't care for much of the music? You are just a stupid uneducated fan. If you were an educated music major, you would be able to understand what is being performed. Everything is fine with DCI today. I mean it isn't like the activity has been destroyed or anything. Whats that you say? There were more than 500 drum corps in the USA in 1972, & today there are about 50? Just trust DCI, like you trust your Government to do the right thing to preserve the drum corps activity.

These clowns will put themselves out of business before they realize what has happened.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 5

Don't worry. All is well now. Everything is fine. Whats that you say? The future of drum corps as an activity is at risk? Fans don't care for much of the music? You are just a stupid uneducated fan. If you were an educated music major, you would be able to understand what is being performed. Everything is fine with DCI today. I mean it isn't like the activity has been destroyed or anything. Whats that you say? There were more than 500 drum corps in the USA in 1972, & today there are about 50? Just trust DCI, like you trust your Government to do the right thing to preserve the drum corps activity.

These clowns will put themselves out of business before they realize what has happened.

You know, it's not terribly helpful for the discussion when we throw around names and insults. If you disagree with the OP, calmly explain why. Think the music is better now? Give some examples! Make your point and let the discussion go from there; the purpose of these forums is to promote healthy discussion and maybe change some minds about the activity in a positive way. Negativity is an instant discussion-killer, and closes off most chances you have to actually change the other person's mind, even if you are right!

• Like 1

I have been on MANY staffs, and consult with one currently. I have donated...not just FINANCIALLY but giving of my TIME. I feel reflection upon the state of affairs is relevant, and if these facts bother you, so be it. But fact it remains.

...and I GREW UP in this activity at an early age. From age 10 on I marched until age 21, with The Saints, the then Garfield Cadets, and then as a member of the Bayonne Bridgemen my final 4 years. So, it saddens me to see so FEW opportunities for kids today to march, and THAT is the point and fact.

I agree with you... no matter how much people want to live in their little bubbles of denial and delusion, it doesnt negate the truth and facts.

Yes, Drum Corps activity has declined majorly over the years... but there is still a small group and shred of it left... hopefully to give kids that can afford the absurdly expensive dues a chance to experience it as well.

Oh, dont let these rookies and noobs get to you... if they knew who you are and how much weight your name in DCI holds, they would be on their knees begging for your worthiness, especially drummers. Yes, I know who you are...

go DCI SNARES ;-)

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 1

A SAD Drum Corps fact: In 1982, 30 years ago, when I marched with the Bridgemen, there were:

• 48 Drum Corps competing in Open Class Prelims,

• 43 Drum Corps in Class A Prelims,

• 7 All-Girls Corps,

• 5 Class B corps, mostly in Jersey

• TOTAL: 103 Drum Corps, at ALL LEVELS!!, plus the others who did NOT travel to DCI.

Corps had INDIVIDUALITY, an IDENTITY, and played very entertaining shows that were also difficult and competitive.

...and today?? Well, not even close.

• 22 "World Class"

• 14 "Open Class"

• Total: 36

We have watched a steady decline, and it's sad to say, we may be watching the beginning of the final countdown, as the economy and DCI politics continue to kill Drum Corps.

Thanks to the "rich get richer" system that was employed, whereby winning corps made more money on tour, the activity is dwindling to a select few who attract all the kids. And if it were up to certain people, there would only be 10 corps in the whole country, and doing it on their own "tour". Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

355354_700b.jpg

• Like 4