DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Psst.... Look at the decline on the Senior/All-age side of the fence during that same time....

Ya gotta look past that DCI group thing to get the whole picture. :doh:

s/ guy from that side....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

103 corps? HOLY CRAP!!!! I can barely make it through an entire day at Atlanta. Could you imagine having to watch 103 mostly boring ### corps? I mean really only a handful were really GOOD anyway. Who cares how many marginal corps we lost.

Gee ya'd think the people who were able to march in those corps might have cared..... but God forbid some other people not get 100% what they want.

Well Hell in that case, I think the number of DCI corps now is too large. Lets go down to 12 and then you can have 2 groups of 6 touring and then they can meet for DCI Night (no need for Semis or that other redundant stuff). Then they will REALLY be good and you won't have to "suffer" thru those other corps. But it's all for the kids anyway, and SO much better they can stay home instead of suffering with a non-top corps. (sarcasim off).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

103 corps? HOLY CRAP!!!! I can barely make it through an entire day at Atlanta. Could you imagine having to watch 103 mostly boring ### corps? I mean really only a handful were really GOOD anyway. Who cares how many marginal corps we lost.

Survival of the fittest. Run a better business and your corps will thrive

marginal corps like Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Suncoast Sound, Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, The Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers, Skyriders to just name a few? Yes those marginal top corps that innovated and forever changed the activity....

wow, you're sort of a noob to DCI, arent you?

as far as "boring", the top 3 corps this year have that slot filled to maximum.

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 5

I agree with you... no matter how much people want to live in their little bubbles of denial and delusion, it doesnt negate the truth and facts.

Yes, Drum Corps activity has declined majorly over the years... but there is still a small group and shred of it left... hopefully to give kids that can afford the absurdly expensive dues a chance to experience it as well.

Oh, dont let these rookies and noobs get to you... if they knew who you are and how much weight your name in DCI holds, they would be on their knees begging for your worthiness, especially drummers. Yes, I know who you are...

go DCI SNARES ;-)

Exactly! I too know who this is and it just makes me sad to see the sarcasm and disrespect in this thread...how many "I hate BD" threads are allowed to grow and flourish here? This activity is dying at an accelerated rate, attendance is NOT up, growth has ceased.....yet rudeness and sarcasm are growing. The lack of respect in this forum is alarming, it used to be a nice, tight, positive, intelligent community.

Geoffrey

• Like 2

Call me old fashioned, but I love the old days.

1982: politically, financially, and socio-economically . . . is over with. Kids who march today are in an entirely different strata than those of a generation ago.

There are so few organizations because the tour has evolved to a national grind; say what you will, but that's what DCI (read: the corps that comprise it) wanted. Is it ideal? No.

But high school band, DCA and the growing SDCA are filling in the blanks that smaller, more regional drum corps used to occupy previously.

Exactly! I too know who this is and it just makes me sad to see the sarcasm and disrespect in this thread...how many "I hate BD" threads are allowed to grow and flourish here? This activity is dying at an accelerated rate, attendance is NOT up, growth has ceased.....yet rudeness and sarcasm are growing. The lack of respect in this forum is alarming, it used to be a nice, tight, positive, intelligent community.

Geoffrey

youre right.........unfortunately , its acceptable for just certain corps

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Geoffrey

Geoffrey,

It is sad the lack of civility some people do under anonymity but would never face to face. That almost seems to me like a deeper emotional issue, but that's a deeper more profound subject on human behavior, not drum corps.

There is a lot of self entitled attitudes on many forums, not to mention some way over the top egos. Especially with forum members that feel they have been a member longer, that somehow translates into more social significance or more credibility, which is absolutely doesnt, it just means while they have been hiding online, others have been out doing.

A friend of mine, Tom Float, said that the amount of egos and hyper sense of self appraisal in this activity and especially on these online forums is nothing what the activity used to be about. He has his masters in psychology, so I would assume he knows something on the subject other than being one of the few DCI legendary drum gods.

• Like 2

Geoffrey,

It is sad the lack of civility some people do under anonymity but would never face to face. That almost seems to me like a deeper emotional issue, but that's a deeper more profound subject on human behavior, not drum corps.

There is a lot of self entitled attitudes on many forums, not to mention some way over the top egos. Especially with forum members that feel they have been a member longer, that somehow translates into more social significance or more credibility, which is absolutely doesnt, it just means while they have been hiding online, others have been out doing.

A friend of mine, Tom Float, said that the amount of egos and hyper sense of self appraisal in this activity and especially on these online forums is nothing what the activity used to be about. He has his masters in psychology, so I would assume he knows something on the subject other than being one of the few DCI legendary drum gods.

i also have that same degree....and man you and he are soooooo right!..and so easy to see even through the net...lol

1982: politically, financially, and socio-economically . . . is over with. Kids who march today are in an entirely different strata than those of a generation ago.

There are so few organizations because the tour has evolved to a national grind; say what you will, but that's what DCI (read: the corps that comprise it) wanted. Is it ideal? No.

But high school band, DCA and the growing SDCA are filling in the blanks that smaller, more regional drum corps used to occupy previously.

if you knew who you were talking to, you'd show a tad more respect... he's one of the reasons you see some of the things you see today (even though the activity now is watered down high school programs)... now who are YOU again?

• Like 3

if you knew who you were talking to, you'd show a tad more respect

I'll certainly apologize for my tone . . .but, if someone was new to this thread, and read the first post in it objectively, it seems to come off as a bit of "today is bad, yesterday was great".

Regardless, I'll edit my post: me being snarky doesn't help things.