DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

But you have to ask yourself , well if all this knowledge of how to fix things exsist, why didnt these people fix it along the way......was very interesting in general.....just a thought

personally and JMO I do think alot of it has to do with Social climate more than anything.

Well speaking for the old church there's that olde free will thing that really started the downhill slide. No one could force people to stay in the city neighborhood (and the city itself declared bankruptcy). And no one can tell people to walk to the nearest church instead of driving to where they want. True story on the last point: People moved right next to the church and he minister went over to visit. Turned out they belong to our demonination and minister thught he had new memebrs lined up. Nope.... they'll continue driving to their current church.

I'd blame the #### suburbs but that's where I grew up.... :ph34r:

Edit: Anyone with a copy of History of DC II can read about Blessed Sacrament and what Newark, NJ was like when the corps folded in the early 70s. Think that was the corps where someone brought their son in to check out the corps and about crapped themself when they say how bad the area was.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well speaking for the old church there's that olde free will thing that really started the downhill slide. No one could force people to stay in the city neighborhood (and the city itself declared bankruptcy). And no one can tell people to walk to the nearest church instead of driving to where they want. True story on the last point: People moved right next to the church and he minister went over to visit. Turned out they belong to our demonination and minister thught he had new memebrs lined up. Nope.... they'll continue driving to their current church.

I'd blame the #### suburbs but that's where I grew up.... :ph34r:

Agree! Urban sprawl must be addressed if we're to see DCI survive! Should be easy enough. :tongue:

Agree! Urban sprawl must be addressed if we're to see DCI survive! Should be easy enough. :tongue:

And restart all those American Legion and VFW Posts that have closed over the decades.

Starting with the Pvt Earl Aurand VFW Post in Harrisburg that sponsored a National VFW Champ in the 1950s. Just don't ask me to go into that neighorhood on a bet.... :shutup:

And restart all those American Legion and VFW Posts that have closed over the decades.

Starting with the Pvt Earl Aurand VFW Post in Harrisburg that sponsored a National VFW Champ in the 1950s. Just don't ask me to go into that neighorhood on a bet.... :shutup:

Take a late 70's BAC drumline with you, you'll be fine. :thumbup:

• Like 1

My goodness! The activity today versus the activity 30 years ago is very different. Drum corps in decline? Really??? Tell that to the record crowd in Atlanta, the packed stands in Allentown or in Massillion - and the hundreds of thousands of fans and supporters who will enjoy witnessing some very memorable shows this year.

..and the reason is...THERE WAS ONLY ONE SHOW IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF GEORGIA!!!! Of course people will travel MILES to get to see ONE SHOW! Do you know, (of course, you wouldn't, because you weren't around), that in the early 80's, we played 2 to 3 shows in the state of Georgia alone on tour??? Valdosta, Atlanta, and another that escapes me..

Point being, you can point to a stadium being filled without of any real context. Why was it filled? The only show in the state. Allentown? There used to be a PRELIMS AND A FINALS and the stands were MUCH more filled than this year, and I was at this years show. It was full, but there was a time when it was end zone to end zone.

You see, perspective is key. Many of us have seen the numbers dwindle, and hope it changes. I for one, have been, and will continue, to help and support in many ways you will never know.

• Like 3

Gee ya'd think the people who were able to march in those corps might have cared..... but God forbid some other people not get 100% what they want.

Well Hell in that case, I think the number of DCI corps now is too large. Lets go down to 12 and then you can have 2 groups of 6 touring and then they can meet for DCI Night (no need for Semis or that other redundant stuff). Then they will REALLY be good and you won't have to "suffer" thru those other corps. But it's all for the kids anyway, and SO much better they can stay home instead of suffering with a non-top corps. (sarcasim off).

NOW YOU'RE TALKING LIKE A TRUE G7 FAN!!! HEAR HEAR!

marginal corps like Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Suncoast Sound, Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, The Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers, Skyriders to just name a few? Yes those marginal top corps that innovated and forever changed the activity....

wow, you're sort of a noob to DCI, arent you?

as far as "boring", the top 3 corps this year have that slot filled to maximum.

Of those corps, I have been entertained (TRULY ENTERTAINED) by Suncoast and Star. and Star left on their own. I have nostalgic reverence for Bridgemen and 27th, however I cannot imagine DCI today with either of those 2 corps in doing well. They would probably fit in that same Troopers realm where they are loved for their historical significance and much less for their current contributions to the activity. <flame suit on>

Dutch Boy made finals once.....how did they forever change the activity?

• Like 1

marginal corps like Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Suncoast Sound, Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, The Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers, Skyriders to just name a few? Yes those marginal top corps that innovated and forever changed the activity....

wow, you're sort of a noob to DCI, arent you?

as far as "boring", the top 3 corps this year have that slot filled to maximum.

Yeah....I've only been around a couple decades. I apologize for not giving a flip when there were starting guns and ridiculous ### inspections of how shiny the buttons on the jacket were.

• Like 1

NOW YOU'RE TALKING LIKE A TRUE G7 FAN!!! HEAR HEAR!

As I spend DCI Week at home and Labor Day Weekend at Annapolis watching more than the top 10.... :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari