DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Of those corps, I have been entertained (TRULY ENTERTAINED) by Suncoast and Star. and Star left on their own. I have nostalgic reverence for Bridgemen and 27th, however I cannot imagine DCI today with either of those 2 corps in doing well. They would probably fit in that same Troopers realm where they are loved for their historical significance and much less for their current contributions to the activity. <flame suit on>

Mr. Monkey...I feel you need a history lesson. If you feel the Bridgemen made no impact, you need to see how dancing, costume changing, acting, and all of the other things corps do today, were started by the Bridgemen. It is undisputed truth to most drum corps people. If you deny this, you will show you truly are a neophyte in this activity.

• Like 3

All is well now. Everything is fine. You are just a stupid uneducated fan. If you were an educated music major, you would be able to understand what is being performed. Everything is fine with DCI today.

hmnn.. with an arrogant, elitist, ( and probably factually incorrect comment as well ) attitude as this, I'm not so sure " everything is fine today with DCI ". Some of us wish that arrogant posters like you AND the OP for this thread would BOTH dial it back a bit. Both of you display intolerant hostilities to those who like their Drum Corps just a lit bit different than others. And don't kid yourself, LOTS of " educated Music Majors " would not have a clue as to what the theme of some of these Corps were without it being verbally explained to them before or after the performance... but clearly not by performance alone.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Of those corps, I have been entertained (TRULY ENTERTAINED) by Suncoast and Star. and Star left on their own. I have nostalgic reverence for Bridgemen and 27th, however I cannot imagine DCI today with either of those 2 corps in doing well. They would probably fit in that same Troopers realm where they are loved for their historical significance and much less for their current contributions to the activity. <flame suit on>

Dutch Boy made finals once.....how did they forever change the activity?

its ridiculous to say those corps wouldnt be competitive today if they were around... of course they would be... and probably have helped push the activity with healthy competition... when you survive and continue to remain in the activity, you obviously grow with the trends... sure comparing a 1982 or 1989 corps to today, is like comparing a 1965 Aston Martin with a 2007DB9.... just like 1980 Blue Devils wouldnt even be in the top 12 in today's arena... or hell, 1995 Carolina Crown for that matter.

• Like 1

You slam a response because of his age?

I'm from your time and regardless of the numbers and whether I agree with you or not, you invalidate your own position with such a stance.

I agree. Any attempt to invalidate one's observations by age ( either young or old ) only shuts off dialogue, not advances it. Its also just plain lame and tiredsome when we hear that frequent canard thrown into the discussion.

• Like 1

Global warming.

George Hopkins.

Mr. Monkey...I feel you need a history lesson. If you feel the Bridgemen made no impact, you need to see how dancing, costume changing, acting, and all of the other things corps do today, were started by the Bridgemen. It is undisputed truth to most drum corps people. If you deny this, you will show you truly are a neophyte in this activity.

I think you need a reading lesson. Where did I say Bridgemen didn't have an impact on the activity? I know what their contributions were and for that I am appreciative. I do not see a place for them in TODAY's drumcorps however. Even Jersey Surf who is highly entertaining with a knockoff Bridgemen show are not exactly tearing up the scoreboard.....Bridgemen had their time and place in the activity and we are thankful for that. But that time has come and gone. I think for their sake it's probably better that we remember them for how they were than for what they would have become if they were still around.

its ridiculous to say those corps wouldnt be competitive today if they were around... of course they would be... and probably have helped push the activity with healthy competition... when you survive and continue to remain in the activity, you obviously grow with the trends... sure comparing a 1982 or 1989 corps to today, is like comparing a 1965 Aston Martin with a 2007DB9.... just like 1980 Blue Devils wouldnt even be in the top 12 in today's arena... or hell, 1995 Carolina Crown for that matter.

Ok there is a shred of truth to this. Blue Stars clung to their silly dated uniforms and "tradition" forever and it served them well in Div 3 and Div 2. But to truly make the surge into TODAY's Top 12, they needed an EXTREME home makeover. Troopers defied logic and explanation it 2010 (or was it 2009) by making it back into Finals.

I agree with you, you must adapt or get left behind (see Madison Scouts 2002, CC 2002)

Do we really need another one of (since your font is so big) these threads? We've heard it over and over this summer, and guess what, no one REALLY CARES after the first few.

I care...

wait...we were talking about Tijuana "night life" right????

Edited by scout9193

Even Jersey Surf who is highly entertaining with a knockoff Bridgemen show are not exactly tearing up the scoreboard.

And many fans that go to the shows don't care about " the scoreboard ".

They have their own internal " scoreboard ". And since they help pay for DCI's " scoreboard ", they are entitled to disregard it in their observations and what they like or dislike in performance.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I think you need a reading lesson. Where did I say Bridgemen didn't have an impact on the activity? I know what their contributions were and for that I am appreciative. I do not see a place for them in TODAY's drumcorps however. Even Jersey Surf who is highly entertaining with a knockoff Bridgemen show are not exactly tearing up the scoreboard.....Bridgemen had their time and place in the activity and we are thankful for that. But that time has come and gone. I think for their sake it's probably better that we remember them for how they were than for what they would have become if they were still around.

Boys, boys......afterall, he did call you "Mr". :tongue: