Cadets' Christmas Show

-First and foremost the musical arrangements are wonderful. Everyone knows these songs, and that helps, but they are arranged and performed with a lot of musicality and respect for the original works, and are technically difficult and performed spectacularly and with great enthusiasm (I hope they've finally cleaned up those trumpets at the opening though.... ouch)

Yes. There also seems to be some timing issues between the soloists and the rest of the corps. When it is clean it sounds really good. Otherwise, "ouch," indeed.

This is actually one of my more favorite shows from this corps. I love the holiday season, so this show really works out for me... Thanksgiving/Christmas are major points in my family (and of course for A LOT of other families) and we celebrate it with extreme excitement. Seeing this show is already getting me pumped up for upcoming months. Heck, I have already started my Christmas shopping... I won't lie I have! I don't get paid much so I have to start preparing now to get anything done come the holidays.

This show is great! Do I think it'll win? No, BUT you don't need to place in 1st to get an actual win. I really do hope The Cadets are able to sell there tour DVD sometime before the holidays start... I would like to order it and watch it all through out the holiday season. (I need to get Cavies 91 too).

But even if it is recognizable and accessible, what good is that if it isn't also appealing? Maybe I am totally off-base in my judgment, but I imagine there are a lot of non-DCI fans that would see the show and decide they wouldn't ever be a drum corps fan.

Compare that to Crown's 2011 show or Jersey Shore's show this year. Both of those shows are also recognizable and accessible, but they are also shows that I feel would excite a non-DCI fan.

Perhaps I am completely overlooking a particular non-DCI fan demographic that would get excited about the Christmas show.

Young kids? If a little boy goes googly eyes for a Christmas show then u think he will be a cadet fan for life

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I have been trying to figure out why The Cadets decided to do a Christmas show this year.

Not sure it has to be so complicated. They chose their theme for the same reason any corps chooses any theme: they had an idea that they liked and thought they could execute well. It probably helps that it was something completely different from what any corps in recent memory has done.

Given their rankings and the reaction here and at performances, I think they made a good choice. The show has been very successful.

Young kids? If a little boy goes googly eyes for a Christmas show then u think he will be a cadet fan for life

It's interesting, but George actually posted a story about this very thing after DCI South:

So last night I was sitting next to 3 Cavie alum from 70-85. They introduce themselves - nice southern men - and we get ready to watch the Cavies. One of the guys has a 6 yr old son sitting in front of him, next to his wife. During the cavie's performance , the little boy is clapping and cheering as his dad is talking in his ear ... and pointing things out. At the end, the dad picks him up so he can wave and cheer them off the field. The dad and mom are super thrilled that he loved the show...(this kid will be marching one day!) and now the cadets come on the field. The dad says "you might like this show -it's about Christmas!". The boys's eyes are huge and he can't stop pointing to the presents and asking what's in them. He's flapping his hands - and bouncing in his seat during the set up. His parents are telling him to be patient. " It's like waiting for Christmas. Do you remember how you have to be patient?" Then it starts. To say that this child sat with rapt attention is an understatement. He had his hands locked together, under his chin, staring at the field. The mom and dad kept looking at him and each other. They were mouthing "omg. He loves it. Look at him". When the show was over, they asked what he thought, and he said "I want them to do it again!!!".

Just thought this was a great story that speaks to your point.

• Like 4

Maybe I am totally off-base in my judgment, but I imagine there are a lot of non-DCI fans that would see the show and decide they wouldn't ever be a drum corps fan.

Of all the shows to hand-wring over their potential appeal to new audiences, I would never have guessed this Cadets show would be among them. :huh:

It's interesting, but George actually posted a story about this very thing after DCI South:

So last night I was sitting next to 3 Cavie alum from 70-85. They introduce themselves - nice southern men - and we get ready to watch the Cavies. One of the guys has a 6 yr old son sitting in front of him, next to his wife. During the cavie's performance , the little boy is clapping and cheering as his dad is talking in his ear ... and pointing things out. At the end, the dad picks him up so he can wave and cheer them off the field. The dad and mom are super thrilled that he loved the show...(this kid will be marching one day!) and now the cadets come on the field. The dad says "you might like this show -it's about Christmas!". The boys's eyes are huge and he can't stop pointing to the presents and asking what's in them. He's flapping his hands - and bouncing in his seat during the set up. His parents are telling him to be patient. " It's like waiting for Christmas. Do you remember how you have to be patient?" Then it starts. To say that this child sat with rapt attention is an understatement. He had his hands locked together, under his chin, staring at the field. The mom and dad kept looking at him and each other. They were mouthing "omg. He loves it. Look at him". When the show was over, they asked what he thought, and he said "I want them to do it again!!!".

Just thought this was a great story that speaks to your point.

Here's another.

Read this over in the review section, posted by PersonalBias at the Charlotte show

TOC Charlotte - complete post

I took a three year absence from 15 years of successive drum corps as I had to come to terms with amplification. I returned to my first show, Charlotte, this time with my 8yo daughter. This was her first exposure beyond you-tube and dvd's. As with any generation, first hand experience with a drum corps event such as a show with the magnitude of this line-up can not be over-stated . . .

Cadets. Christmas music, yep in July. This show was electric and the crowd approved en mass. My daughter was so ecstatic with the guard dance and use of props, simple props with exaggerated impact, This show was so well done and exciting. If you have not seen it yet, it is worth the price of admission. The colors. the snowflake, the drill, the music left her giddy with excitement. She ran down to the lower wall after the show wanting to touch the members. Is this not what it is all about? . . .

Money will get you a ticket, but, the corps provide the ride. Seeing drum corps like through her eyes was a piece of heaven for me. Maybe that is what I had forgotten...those fleeting moments that bring such joy. In the end, I had placements correct not scores, not that it mattered, but, yes I had to say. I am still beaming for her, and yes she went to school today excited to tell her friends. Dedication? Maybe, Inspired? Yes. A future corps member, who knows, but I would bet that she will be back Last night I too was inspired and was helped in reminding myself that though I have past the point of no-return the remaining trip can and will be filled by the many spectacles that life has to offer, children, family, yes to me and once again drum corps. Thank you Crown, Blue Devils, SCV, Boston, Phantom Cavies, Bloo and Cadets. Having seen the light, my heart and ears Thank You. Great show!!!

• Like 3

I love Christmas music, so this is a hit for me.

I also think it's a great marketing move. There are not many shows with Christmas music in DCI. Adding another can boost the money they get in during the middle of winter.

I was one of culprits who complained about Cadets doing a Christmas show. The main thing that ticked me off about it is the potential cheese factor. After last years show, I was ready for more aggressive shows from them. That's mainly my biggest flaw is I always expect Cadets to "follow-up" after a successful show.

The show this year works for them and while I'm not particularly as excited about this show as I was with last year's show, there are still some great moments that get me excited.

As far as the Cadets purpose for it, I'm sure they just wanted to do something different after winning last year. It's sort of like 1999 after 1998, 2001 after 2000, etc.

I think it was a terrific move and it's been done well..

Also, my ten year old loved it and is a Cadets fan now - this the child of a father not normally big on Cadets shows. As she grows up, she may have a soft spot for an organization I might have soured her on based on my own bias from previous years.

I think it is cool to have so much melody on the field and doing something that was almost entirely panned by the DCP crowd as corny and not doable. It's good for the activity to stray from the norm and be recognizable by the masses!

Edited by Euphscott