Subpar camera work during broadcasts...

Can you say that on DCP? :omg: I thought that was one of the words that Mr. Boo banned...

:pirate: <--dada emoticon

No...but I just added it to my list. :w00t:

No...but I just added it to my list. :w00t:

I got that word from Patton Oswalt's hilarious bit about inter####ial music choices on NPR. (The bit is on YouTube, but he doesn't use the word interstitial. I think I heard it on a version he said on a radio station).

Anyway...

Thanks to all for the support and other comments. I thought of another analogy:

Imagine if, when the camera is not the pressbox angle, the sound was also just coming a mic on the closeup camera. That would ruin the performance musically, wouldn't it? My point is that the drill works in a similar way for me at least. If I can't see it, well, I'm missing it.

I should have shown some "love" for what they are able to accomplish with what they have. It is impressive, and I wholeheartedly appreciate what they do. I'm just whining about the shots they choose, that's all.

I suspect that there is not another human being in the entire world who could do a better job producing the DCI Finals broadcast (within its current budget) than Tom Blair, and I suspect that will become very clear whenever he retires from this gig.

Nobody has the combination of live television production credentials, actual drum corps performance experience and passion for the activity that Tom has, and I doubt that anyone would spend nearly the amount of time that he does planning his shots.

The product is great. As with EVERY live production, not everything is perfect.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA
  • Like 4

I suspect that there is not another human being in the entire world who could do a better job producing the DCI Finals broadcast (within its current budget) than Tom Blair, and I suspect that will become very clear whenever he retires from this gig.

Nobody has the combination of live television production credentials, actual drum corps performance experience and passion for the activity that Tom has, and I doubt that anyone would spend nearly the amount of time that he does planning his shots.

Agreed completely. This entire thread is just laughable. The quality, especially on the DVDs, is top notch. Choice of camera angles is subjective, sure, but by no means can it be considered "Subpar." I spent some time watching the jumbotron in semi finals and loved what I saw for the most part, especially the boom/jib shots.

• Like 1

I'm picking you out to answer my challenge, Rob, for no particular good reason. Maybe it's because you seem like a fine fellow. :cool:

Can you defend a drum corps broadcast that changes camera shots every 8 seconds (no exaggeration)? Is that really your definition of a "great product"?

• Like 1

This.

Mr. Blair has a somewhat smaller budget for DCI than was allotted for the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, so there will be imperfections, some noticable, particularly on the live broadcast. As someone else noted, the budget is probably smaller than the live PBS broadcast days as well, at least when adjusted for inflation. The DVD's, being edited, are usually of very good production quality.

For you FN subscribers, take the way back machine to, say, 1983 and tell me there's no difference. Room for critique and improvement? Of course. Mr. Blair would probably concede as much. But I'd put the quality of the live broadcast up there with most locally produced, live on remote shows. It's just unrealistic to expect a network quality production (how many cameras cover an NFL game?) given the budgetary constraints.

Just a thought here to facilitate the discussion. Our appreciation, respect and gratitude for something shouldn't mean that it's beyond criticism, particularly constructive criticism. After all, the drum corps season is nothing if not a process of continual criticism and improvement. Why can't the broadcast be improved too?

HH

• Like 1

For you FN subscribers, take the way back machine to, say, 1983 and tell me there's no difference. Room for critique and improvement? Of course. Mr. Blair would probably concede as much. But I'd put the quality of the live broadcast up there with most locally produced, live on remote shows. It's just unrealistic to expect a network quality production (how many cameras cover an NFL game?) given the budgetary constraints.

Agreed on the overall quality, and your statement that there is room for critique and improvement. I'm not sure that network quality or NFL-level coverage is what those that are 'critiquing' are looking for. Drum corps doesn't need high and low goal line, side line, line of scrimmage, etc. cameras.

But....does it need continual, quick view changes? Does it need to try and feel like a music video? I would make the supposition that those who watch the live feeds, theater broadcast, etc. do so b/c they can't be there and are looking to the broadcasts to give them the YOU ARE THERE feel. If you're at the show you aren't continually running around to get a high cam view followed by a field level closeup of the pit etc. etc. etc. By making camera changes so quickly and continuously, you lose the sense of flow and overall production that is so important to the viewer, whether in the stands or in front of a screen.

But....does it need continual, quick view changes? Does it need to try and feel like a music video? I would make the supposition that those who watch the live feeds, theater broadcast, etc. do so b/c they can't be there and are looking to the broadcasts to give them the YOU ARE THERE feel.

While I personally agree with this, I'm not sure we 40-50 somethings are the target audience.

The cinecast is largely designed to get new blood into the activity: people who wouldn't consider going to Indianapolis or perhaps have never even seen a live drum corps show. The theatre I attended had a large number of high school kids, probably fresh (poor word choice?) from band camp. How best to hold their attention? Show them close-ups of everything, with short cuts.

all footage from all cameras all 3 days ARE recorded....then the editing starts.....it takes a long time to review and pick choices for all 12 corps....thats why the dvd's are not available until December......I am sure that they use images from all 3 days. They probably have a master copy that they are going to view, review, and then edit, inserting better angles and takes. The final DVD product will not look like what we saw at semi's.......

the boom operator has been the same guys since 2005.....he knows his stuff very well......