Rifles

Did the color guard ever use real rifles when they marched?

Thanks!

Yes. Many Drum Corps guards continued to use actual military weapons through the 1960s. Typically, these were either Springfield or M1 rifles, weighing between 10 and 11 pounds, depending on whether the bayonet was attached. And yes, they did spin and toss, though not quite so high.

See the chapter, "Why the Guns?" by Shirley Stratton Dorritie in Vol. 2 of The History of Drum and Bugle Corps for a very comprehensive summary of the development of color guard from the American revolution to the present.

Don't forget the Enfields!

Did they ever go off? Talk about incentive not to drop your toss? :tongue:

If you listen to some of the early 70's recordings you can hear the snap of the straps on the guns. Sure they didn't do as complicated moves as they do now but there was a whole lot of precision back then!

Did they ever go off? Talk about incentive not to drop your toss? :tongue:

The rifles carried were never loaded. ( although in the Sr. ranks, truth be told, it was not totally unheard of for the marcher carrying the Corps rifle in competition in the Honor Guard section to sometimes be loaded. )

Edited by BRASSO

Don't forget the Enfields!

...lots of conjecture on these weapons, the British .303 was the one I came up with on a google search, they weighed 8.8 lbs unloaded. The much more familiar M1 Gerand (the predecessor to my army M-14) had a bit more heft at 9.5 lbs unloaded. BITD spinning these things was a chore, but extremely doable (I personally was in an exhibition unit with 4 Texas ROTC dudes spinning our M-14's...*that* was interesting!)...just refer to the Marine Silent Drill Team and you'll see state-of-the-art for handling the Gerand...drum corps that *did* spin didn't go that far, but did the gig well, indeed.

The rifles carried were never loaded. ( although in the Sr. ranks, truth be told, it was not totally unheard of for the marcher carrying the Corps rifle in competition in the Honor Guard section to sometimes be loaded. )

I could see that as a matter of pride for vets guarding the US colors...rounds, no doubt, were not chambered?!